5 1/2 year old female bulldog pacing and biting at the air what does this mean??

Wilfred

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilfred & Dozer
My female bulldog started pacing the floor on Wednesday - shes not panting. She is eating, drinking & going potty all normal. Then yesterday she starting biting at the air and floor but there was nothing there. When you talk to her she stops and then goes back to it. She is sleeping fine but then when awake she does the biting at the air thing. (it doesn't go on all day but quite a bit)

Brought her to the vet yesterday afternoon and all blood work was normal. Of course she wasn't doing the biting at air while at the vet. I have now taken a video of the behavior and will get to the vet on Monday. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this???

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Maybe it's what they call "Fly-snapping" or "Fly-biting"? Our Boeboe does it sometimes, often late at night when she's tired. I can snap her out of it and if I don't keep her mind onto something else for a while she goes right back to doing it. If I understand right it's a mild form of seizures but vets seems to be a bit unsure of what causes it. I've given Boeboe a snack when it happens to keep her mind of it and I don't know if it has something to do with bloodsugar cos she stops doing it after her snack. You can try that maybe, it wont hurt:)

I'm sure someone that knows more than me will come along soon:)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I'm not sure where you live, it's not on your profile....... Could it be Flea's, fire ant's, ear infection maybe, seems something could be annoying her, I'd defintely check for anything causing pain, ear infection, something grabbing her attention, in which may be annoying her to cause her to bite the air, if everything there is okay, I'd get her in to see a vet, seek possible solutions, may even be neurological. I think something causing her pain or anoying her would be the first on my checklist before moving onto a vet though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you get it on video? Does sound like what Petra stated. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - might be able to give more insight if you can get video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Can you post your video? I'm wondering if she has any itchy girly bits or a itchy tail pocket? There are tons of reasons that it could be....so lets start at the top with what Casper mentioned. Are any of those a possibility?

There are a lot of instances where the fly biting is a neurological problem.....but lets visit that after we cross off all these others. Welcome! And nice to meet you!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
When thinking back and reading [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] comment I figure this... Boeboe did it much more frequent before her Entropion surgery, so maybe she did it back then cos her eyes was bothering her... Now it only happens maybe once, for a couple of minutes every two months or something. So it's seems much possible it can be something that's annoying her to cause her to do it? I've tried to read and asked the vet about the fly snapping but there isn't really a straight answer to get:unsure: I hope it's something simple that's easily sorted out:)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
Franklin just went through something like that it wasn't fly snapping it was just the head shaking their head tremors Franklin only had this happen like 4 times there no reason for it and if you take them to the vet and get everything done everything comes back normal all I do is distract him give him a treat or I clap my hands really load an it stops it only happened at night when he would be sleeping or just waking up it hasn't happens in awhile my other dog was going into heat so he was stressed out about it

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk will do this when I haven't cleaned her tail pocket in a day or two. Mickey does this also when he wants his tail pocket cleaned.

OP
W

Wilfred

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilfred & Dozer
Sorry for delay but its been quite busy for the past few weeks!! We ending up having to bring her to the University of Minnesota neurology department. Roxie was having seizures. She has now been on phenobarbital for 2 weeks just got blood levels checked and talk to the doctor tomorrow to see if we can decrease the dose. Thank god the seizures have stopped but she walks around like she's drunk. Will see what the doc has to say Monday.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry to hear that, but at least you know what it is. If you have questions or need help with this just let [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] know and she can help.

OP
W

Wilfred

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilfred & Dozer
Thanks I really appreciate that!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Phenobarbital does cause cause ataxia. A "drunk" like effect. Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to help you with.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.