Vomiting for 2 days...

aspen2012

Aug 23, 2013
New Mexico
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Aspen
Baxter has been threw so much. So thankful for answered prayer and a happy ending to such a horrible ordeal. And thankful to all the knowledgeable and caring people on this site. God Bless

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Baxter suddenly began vomiting up huge (and i mean huge) amounts of bile and mucous and foam yesterday morning.

In between, his mouth was dripping water like crazy on the floor.

I also noticed his back end had mucous oozing out of it.

We went to the vet (again) ... she tested him for Heartworm (neg), tried to get a fecal sample (would be the 10th one ive had done since I got him - all normal) but was unable to as there was no poop, and at my request she gave him an anti-nausea medication.

This seemed to calm him down most of the day but i woke up this morning to this:

IMAGE_42.jpg

After I took the above picture he just stood there for like 15 minutes. In that exact position. Even after I cleaned everything up.
He's super lethargic, weak, and is just unwilling to move around much.

He had nothing to eat 12 hours prior to the above picture,
only one meal last night (i needed to get water in him)
And the below pics are this morning ... so he has basically only eaten once in the last 36 hours. Still he's vomiting..

IMAGE_43.jpg

IMAGE_44.jpg

Any suggestions? Possible diagnosis?
Any update? How is Baxter doing today?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Knowing y'all have to be beyond exhaustion, I gave you time before
bugging you for details on how you & Baxter are doing today?

I see Rosalie
@brutus77 and others couldn't restrain themselves either ;)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Hi everyone! So its an hour drive to the hospital, but the surgeon gave me the go-ahead at about 7pm so I went to see him. So weird that the male nurse carried him out by his chest - legs hanging, stomach skin stretched tight, on his sutures, vice grip around his midsection where he just had surgery. Geez. I thought - can't you put him in a crate, or on a little wagon or something? smh ...

They put him down and he came tumbling at me with tongue out. My face was covered in slobber in about 15 seconds. Then my entire arm got licked from top to bottom. And he looked at me through his wrinkles ... that side view look ... you all know it ... where the eye looks over at you from the side, fat face and wrinkles squishing down from gravity, but the eyeball is looking... LOL ... i couldn't handle it. Love him to death.

He walked around the room like nothing had happened. Doctor said vitals are normal. He's back on food already. Just a little. He hadn't eaten in 3 days. To be honest, he looked better than he did when I brought him in. He's plumped up, and healthy looking. Crazy. They've been feeding him an easy to digest diet, and lots of fluids by catheter I believe. I've never seen him look so healthy.

He has a cough. Very very weak cough. He seemed a bit unstable. The doctor had actually put his dislocated leg back into the socket so he was walking a little strange. That's going to be interesting to monitor. having your leg out of socket for months and months ... then suddenly its back in.

Also - the intestinal obstruction doesn't explain why his Liver enzymes were so high. So they'll recheck them before he comes home on Monday. Fingers crossed they've gone back to normal.

In any case, he seems fine. Im a little worried about the cough. He was just so weak sounding. But you know them. Always sweet spirits. Always good energy. All dogs go to heaven they say. Now I know why.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you for the update, the love of a bully is like no other. Please keep us up on his progress if you can. Give him a big hug from us! :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank you for the update. Baxter will be home before you know it. When I had gallstones I would essentially get a blockage and my liver enzymes would elevate also. Maybe it is similar? I will be thinking of you guys until you hear. I'm so glad he is doing well. Give him lots if hugs and kisses from me and brutus.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So good to see a positive update.... Hugs Kevin. Baxter will be hime and causing havoc before you know it.

Looking forward to pictures on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So happy to see this update! You have brought tears to my eyes(for happy). I'll bet Baxter looks better because he FEELS a lot better-and is re-hydrated,too!
Looking forward to many more GOOD reports about Baxter! So happy for both of you-looking forward to you two having a GOOD holiday!:happy2:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Kevin, I'm so glad to hear that Baxter is on the mend… I know it's been a rough week for you!!! Please keep us updated...

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Yes please keep us updated. Did you find out where that came from? I was so glad to read that he is on the mend. Keep an eye on that cough. When does he get to come home? Praying for you and little Baxter!!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Last week when June had her spay, the vet said she may cough a little when we brought her home because of being put under. I guess they put a tube down their throat for breathing? Anyways, he said it can make the throat dry, also since she had let way water since the night before so she might she raspy. Maybe it's the same situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION]

How has the sweet boy been feeling since his surgery? I hope all is well!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.