Allergies!!!! Help! Been to the VET twice now...

brutusmom

Apr 12, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koa, and Brutus (RIP JUL 2011-APR 2013)
I haven't posted much because I usually read through a lot of old posts from other people and get answers but I haven't put an answer to this.

Koa is almost 8mo and had a flare up of itchy rash on his belly back in Sept. Then at the end of Sept went to the VET to get it checked out after my home remedies (coconut oil rub on belly, anti-histamine pill, and cortisone) didn't work. It helped a little but he just kept scratching at it. VET did a scraping for Mange, tested for Fleas, and found bacteria. So he went on antibiotics for 14days and got a dermatitis spray. Also thought it was food allergies and changed his food from Earthborn holistic Coastal Catch to Nutri Source seafood select which are pretty much the same ingredients except Nutri doesn't have potatoes. Helped for a little while and then he went back to scratching.

I woke up one morning in late October and he had opened up his scalp. It looked like he had scabies on his head. Took him into the VET AGAIN, and she ran tests and said no scabies, no mange, no fleas, just a bad bacteria infection. Sent me home with a steroid anti-histamine and more antibiotics and he cleared right up. He stopped scratching. Then about a two sundays ago, I mowed our backyard for the last time this winter and he spent the whole time laying in the grass chewing on his bone. Then his rash started up again and he's been chewing on his legs and paws.

At this point I'm unsure of what to do. I think it might be our grass. I hope he doesn't depend on steroid anti histamines because he can't take that everyday. As of right now, I'm going to give him a bath with his oatmeal based shampoo and hydrating conditioner, and wash his bedding and then try to sweep and vacuum any grass if any is in the house. We have a cone so he'll be staying in that so he can't do anymore damage. And is nails have been dremelled and has taken an anti-histamine (zyrtec) but I'm out to get more children's benadryl.

HELP!!!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Re: Allergies!!!! Help! Been to the VET twice now….

Grains are a common inflammatory and some bullies are sensitive even applied
on skin so I'd nix the OATMEAL shampoo. Children's medications can contain
aspartamine & other artificial sweetners TOXIC to animals so get regular adult
meds. If on antibiotics he needs a daily dollop of plain greek yogurt added to
kibble to repopulate his good gut bacteria and strengthen his immune system with
probiotics which, in time, will help w/allergies. Cheap white vinegar can be used
as a final LEAVE IN rinse (just blot dry afterwards) to help with his skin and aid with
controlling itching, also will deodorize longer. Mix 2 cups vinegar, fill plastic pitcher or
large bowl with water added and avoiding head slowly run thru coat. Keeping a Tshirt
will help protect skin. Change from Zyrtex & Benedry to others suggested here.
Try Tea Tree Oil diluted w/Coconut Oil on rash. Try no fish or salmon like buffalo
or venison...Good luck & GOD bless!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Carol has you covered !! Also, think about wiping his paws when he comes in from outside, my girl is allergic to grass so I keep baby wipes by the door and wipe her paws and/or belly whenever she comes in

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

Great advise above, I would get away from the fish and try a different protein. We had a girl that had some allergies and would bit her paws raw and she was on FROMM Pork and Peas and we switched her to FROMM Game Bird and she cleared right up and didn't have a problem after that.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2

Hi! My Cleo has grass allergies and I've found having her wear a t shirt helps with her scratching her skin open as she gets the satisfaction of the itch but can't get through the t shirt. I also wipe her down and only schedule a trip to the dog park on bath nights in the summer. When she has an itchy spot I've found that putting a little Desitin on it after cleaning makes the itch stop and the shirt keeps it from going everywhere else. Also, instead of giving a full bath you can try just putting some water with vinegar in the tub and cleaning off the paws and belly area to get any of the contact agents causing the rash. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.