Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

Default Help! Bo is limping!

Bo started limping two days ago on his back left leg. Sometimes when he gets up, he limps, other times he doesn't. When we go outside for a bathroom break, he might limp for a second, then its as if nothing is wrong, he runs around as usual. Like I said, bc he doesn't limp all the time, I thought we would wait it out. He doesn't act like its tender when I touch it and doesn't appear to be in pain. I feel bad not doing anything. I checked out his leg and foot, doesn't seem to be a problem with the foot. I have been trying to keep him from jumping off the couch/bed. But that is next to impossible if he thinks he hears something

At this point, I am just curious about what to expect at the vet..... will they automatically want to do xray/mri? Do they do meds first? He's allergic to Carprofen....

Any insight would be great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! Bo is limping!

Sheldon does this too

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, sorry Bo is going through this, and I hope it's nothing serious , maybe he twisted his leg, or landed wrong on it when jumping and it's just a little sprain and will heal. I don't know what would cause him to limp, especially since it's only intermittent and not all the time. When I first brought Dozer home, he fell and hurt his foot or paw, and he couldn't walk on it, he was whining when we touched it, so we took him to the vet. She did an exam of his foot, and did an X-ray, he ended up having a soft tissue injury, and she gave him pain medication and an anti inflammatory. It healed up in about 4 days, and he was fine afterwards. I would think because you don't know the cause, your vet will probably do an X-ray. Please keep us posted, and let us know how he's doing. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, sorry Bo is going through this, and I hope it's nothing serious , maybe he twisted his leg, or landed wrong on it when jumping and it's just a little sprain and will heal. I don't know what would cause him to limp, especially since it's only intermittent and not all the time. When I first brought Dozer home, he fell and hurt his foot or paw, and he couldn't walk on it, he was whining when we touched it, so we took him to the vet. She did an exam of his foot, and did an X-ray, he ended up having a soft tissue injury, and she gave him pain medication and an anti inflammatory. It healed up in about 4 days, and he was fine afterwards. I would think because you don't know the cause, your vet will probably do an X-ray. Please keep us posted, and let us know how he's doing. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.
    I'm sure we will be heading to the vet in the next day or two. Especially if it doesn't go away. It's just so bizarre. It seems like it's more frequent now than before. I just laid with him and rubbed his leg. He didn't have any problem with that. No moaning whining or wincing of any kind when I touch it. And he doesn't pull away or anything.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Liz, I would just keep an eye on it, if he's not in any pain, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I sometimes see Blossom limp a little after she's slept all night in the crate, if she's slept on her leg, or had it in a funny position, and then once she gets moving, it goes away.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 12-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

Hi Liz, I would just keep an eye on it, if he's not in any pain, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I sometimes see Blossom limp a little after she's slept all night in then crate, if she's slept on her leg, or had it in a funny position, and then once she gets moving, it goes away.
    I'll keep you posted. I just wish he could talk. Or write messages with his paw on a dry erase board, lol. Wouldn't that be wonderful!?!?

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Hi Liz has Bo been checked for Hip Dysplasia? It can be a sign unfortunately since he's only limping sometimes My Boeboe was diagnosed with HD about 1 1/2 year ago, we took her for x-ray cos she was also limping occasionally. She can limp mildly when getting up after sleeping but it goes away after a few steps, also cold weather makes it worse and if she's been playing rough.

I don't know if it can be arthritis maybe depending on how old he is... or a muscle injury... but when ours pulled a muscle they were limping all the time... I think the vet will do x-ray to see what's going on. And Bo will be fine Hugs to you and Bo
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi Liz , Petra gave you a great suggestion xxx
    I hope Boo feels better soon -my only experience with limping was my 11 year old Boxer girl but ver said it was old age and just leave her be xx
    Give it few days if your baby wont feel any better and i hope she will then see the vet xxx sending hugs to all of you x
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

So sorry to hear about Bo… My boxer has done this a few times, but after a couple of day's she stopped. I would say a vet visit would be in order if he keeps doing it… poor baby!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

I was just going to ask the same question about Rumble. It seems like after he takes a nap on the couch or sits for a while that he will limp on his back left leg. After a while then it goes a way but I know they have a high pain tolerance so I am concerned he is masking the pain at other times. He was already due for shots so we are taking him to the vet on Friday. I would say if you are very concerned that a trip to the vet would be the best way to clear your head.

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tiffykay06 View Post
    I was just going to ask the same question about Rumble. It seems like after he takes a nap on the couch or sits for a while that he will limp on his back left leg. After a while then it goes a way but I know they have a high pain tolerance so I am concerned he is masking the pain at other times. He was already due for shots so we are taking him to the vet on Friday. I would say if you are very concerned that a trip to the vet would be the best way to clear your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    So sorry to hear about Bo… My boxer has done this a few times, but after a couple of day's she stopped. I would say a vet visit would be in order if he keeps doing it… poor baby!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pati Robins View Post
    Hi Liz , Petra gave you a great suggestion xxx
    I hope Boo feels better soon -my only experience with limping was my 11 year old Boxer girl but ver said it was old age and just leave her be xx
    Give it few days if your baby wont feel any better and i hope she will then see the vet xxx sending hugs to all of you x
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Hi Liz has Bo been checked for Hip Dysplasia? It can be a sign unfortunately since he's only limping sometimes My Boeboe was diagnosed with HD about 1 1/2 year ago, we took her for x-ray cos she was also limping occasionally. She can limp mildly when getting up after sleeping but it goes away after a few steps, also cold weather makes it worse and if she's been playing rough.

I don't know if it can be arthritis maybe depending on how old he is... or a muscle injury... but when ours pulled a muscle they were limping all the time... I think the vet will do x-ray to see what's going on. And Bo will be fine Hugs to you and Bo
    Hi Liz, I would just keep an eye on it, if he's not in any pain, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I sometimes see Blossom limp a little after she's slept all night in the crate, if she's slept on her leg, or had it in a funny position, and then once she gets moving, it goes away.

So we just got home from the vet. As soon as they looked at him, they said 'luxating patella', stage 1 or grade 1. Said it's pretty common in this breed. She ordered anti inflammatory and rest for 2 weeks. Said we can start glucosamine/chondroitin daily if we like. She put him on the same AI her dog is on for a similar problem since Bo is allergic to Carprofen. I hope this works! If anyone has any ideas or insight, please let me know.
    Liz

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Aww poor baby. I hope he gets relief with the medication and rest, and he's feeling better soon. Hopefully he won't need surgery. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Bo, that he's okay. Please keep us posted. Take care Hun, and try not to worry too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads