Help! Bo is limping!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Bo started limping two days ago on his back left leg. Sometimes when he gets up, he limps, other times he doesn't. When we go outside for a bathroom break, he might limp for a second, then its as if nothing is wrong, he runs around as usual. Like I said, bc he doesn't limp all the time, I thought we would wait it out. He doesn't act like its tender when I touch it and doesn't appear to be in pain. I feel bad not doing anything. I checked out his leg and foot, doesn't seem to be a problem with the foot. I have been trying to keep him from jumping off the couch/bed. But that is next to impossible if he thinks he hears something :(

At this point, I am just curious about what to expect at the vet..... will they automatically want to do xray/mri? Do they do meds first? He's allergic to Carprofen....

Any insight would be great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon does this too

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, sorry Bo is going through this, and I hope it's nothing serious , maybe he twisted his leg, or landed wrong on it when jumping and it's just a little sprain and will heal. I don't know what would cause him to limp, especially since it's only intermittent and not all the time. When I first brought Dozer home, he fell and hurt his foot or paw, and he couldn't walk on it, he was whining when we touched it, so we took him to the vet. She did an exam of his foot, and did an X-ray, he ended up having a soft tissue injury, and she gave him pain medication and an anti inflammatory. It healed up in about 4 days, and he was fine afterwards. I would think because you don't know the cause, your vet will probably do an X-ray. Please keep us posted, and let us know how he's doing. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hi, sorry Bo is going through this, and I hope it's nothing serious , maybe he twisted his leg, or landed wrong on it when jumping and it's just a little sprain and will heal. I don't know what would cause him to limp, especially since it's only intermittent and not all the time. When I first brought Dozer home, he fell and hurt his foot or paw, and he couldn't walk on it, he was whining when we touched it, so we took him to the vet. She did an exam of his foot, and did an X-ray, he ended up having a soft tissue injury, and she gave him pain medication and an anti inflammatory. It healed up in about 4 days, and he was fine afterwards. I would think because you don't know the cause, your vet will probably do an X-ray. Please keep us posted, and let us know how he's doing. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

I'm sure we will be heading to the vet in the next day or two. Especially if it doesn't go away. It's just so bizarre. It seems like it's more frequent now than before. I just laid with him and rubbed his leg. He didn't have any problem with that. No moaning whining or wincing of any kind when I touch it. And he doesn't pull away or anything.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Liz, I would just keep an eye on it, if he's not in any pain, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I sometimes see Blossom limp a little after she's slept all night in the crate, if she's slept on her leg, or had it in a funny position, and then once she gets moving, it goes away.

Last edited:
OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hi Liz, I would just keep an eye on it, if he's not in any pain, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I sometimes see Blossom limp a little after she's slept all night in then crate, if she's slept on her leg, or had it in a funny position, and then once she gets moving, it goes away.

I'll keep you posted. I just wish he could talk. Or write messages with his paw on a dry erase board, lol. Wouldn't that be wonderful!?!?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi Liz:) has Bo been checked for Hip Dysplasia? It can be a sign unfortunately since he's only limping sometimes:mellow: My Boeboe was diagnosed with HD about 1 1/2 year ago, we took her for x-ray cos she was also limping occasionally. She can limp mildly when getting up after sleeping but it goes away after a few steps, also cold weather makes it worse and if she's been playing rough.

I don't know if it can be arthritis maybe depending on how old he is... or a muscle injury... but when ours pulled a muscle they were limping all the time... I think the vet will do x-ray to see what's going on. And Bo will be fine:) Hugs to you and Bo:hug:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi Liz , Petra gave you a great suggestion xxx
I hope Boo feels better soon -my only experience with limping was my 11 year old Boxer girl but ver said it was old age and just leave her be xx
Give it few days if your baby wont feel any better and i hope she will then see the vet xxx sending hugs to all of you x

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry to hear about Bo… My boxer has done this a few times, but after a couple of day's she stopped. I would say a vet visit would be in order if he keeps doing it… poor baby!!!

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I was just going to ask the same question about Rumble. It seems like after he takes a nap on the couch or sits for a while that he will limp on his back left leg. After a while then it goes a way but I know they have a high pain tolerance so I am concerned he is masking the pain at other times. He was already due for shots so we are taking him to the vet on Friday. I would say if you are very concerned that a trip to the vet would be the best way to clear your head.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I was just going to ask the same question about Rumble. It seems like after he takes a nap on the couch or sits for a while that he will limp on his back left leg. After a while then it goes a way but I know they have a high pain tolerance so I am concerned he is masking the pain at other times. He was already due for shots so we are taking him to the vet on Friday. I would say if you are very concerned that a trip to the vet would be the best way to clear your head.

So sorry to hear about Bo… My boxer has done this a few times, but after a couple of day's she stopped. I would say a vet visit would be in order if he keeps doing it… poor baby!!!

Hi Liz , Petra gave you a great suggestion xxx
I hope Boo feels better soon -my only experience with limping was my 11 year old Boxer girl but ver said it was old age and just leave her be xx
Give it few days if your baby wont feel any better and i hope she will then see the vet xxx sending hugs to all of you x

Hi Liz:) has Bo been checked for Hip Dysplasia? It can be a sign unfortunately since he's only limping sometimes:mellow: My Boeboe was diagnosed with HD about 1 1/2 year ago, we took her for x-ray cos she was also limping occasionally. She can limp mildly when getting up after sleeping but it goes away after a few steps, also cold weather makes it worse and if she's been playing rough.

I don't know if it can be arthritis maybe depending on how old he is... or a muscle injury... but when ours pulled a muscle they were limping all the time... I think the vet will do x-ray to see what's going on. And Bo will be fine:) Hugs to you and Bo:hug:

Hi Liz, I would just keep an eye on it, if he's not in any pain, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I sometimes see Blossom limp a little after she's slept all night in the crate, if she's slept on her leg, or had it in a funny position, and then once she gets moving, it goes away.

So we just got home from the vet. As soon as they looked at him, they said 'luxating patella', stage 1 or grade 1. Said it's pretty common in this breed. She ordered anti inflammatory and rest for 2 weeks. Said we can start glucosamine/chondroitin daily if we like. She put him on the same AI her dog is on for a similar problem since Bo is allergic to Carprofen. I hope this works! If anyone has any ideas or insight, please let me know.
Liz

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby. I hope he gets relief with the medication and rest, and he's feeling better soon. Hopefully he won't need surgery. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Bo, that he's okay. Please keep us posted. Take care Hun, and try not to worry too much.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I found this link about floating knee caps, it's a vet describing why it happens and what can be done:) She's against surgery so her suggestions are basic things like manage your dogs weight, keep the them toned and muscular, and as your vet prescribed give glucosamine for the joints, and she talked about food as well... don't remember exactly but it was something about some food being naturally anti inflammatory. Have to read up about that myself, it's interesting:)

We give our Boeboe Arthro Focus for her hip joints, it contains among other things glucosamine. I can't really tell if it helps but it can't hurt... when suffering from joint problems they more easily develop arthritis which we're trying to avoid/slow down.

Hope Bo is feeling good:heart:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...cognising-floating-knee-caps-in-pet-dogs.aspx

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Aww poor Bo ;-( ,i dont have any experience with this but i hope your baby feel better soon ;-( xxxxx

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Hopefully Bo will start to feel better and what the vet said will help. Our thoughts are with you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.