Help Needed! demodectic mange

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
Hi everyone. I got my first bully yesterday. I took her to the vet today and she has demodectic mange. Shes 4 months old and a great girl. My question is they put her on a antibiotic to see if that clears up the rednessand rash. I asked about treatment and he said that Iits harsh for a puppy of that age but if shes not better in 3 days to call him. She isnt itching or digging at herself and she running around happy. So should she be on something else or do I need to do something myself?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Most of the time with demodectic mange it's from a weakened immune system, so the antibiotics will help to get rid of it. Try giving him a spoonful of plain yogurt once or twice a day to help too.

OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
Okay I will get her some tomorrow. I just hope the antibiotics work and we dont have to use harsh meds. She doesnt have it real bad so maybe thats why we are trying this first. Any help with this is appreciated. I've never had a dog that has had this before

jrbug

Dec 4, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Junior
Hi. Mine had the same problem as well around the same age. And yes they said the same about the meds..I remeber it clearing up very soon after I started the meds so I didnt continue using because was nervous as well!! I think shell be okay but I would def check back in with vet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
She seems to do doing alot better but I've noticed her skin is red from time to time is that a side effect of the mange or is she having a allergic reaction to something else?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've never dealt with mange but wanted to say I hope it clears up fast. I do know that the immune system has a lot to do with it. Good kibble, probiotics, and a good supplement like Nuvet or Hardypet will help boost immune system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
I put her on some yogurt and getting some kind of vitamin. She went back today and hes happy with her progress but did put her on her antibiotics again since they are helping alot. Now she wont leave hwr front paw alone so idk. I feel like there ahould be something else I could do for her. She is a happy puppy though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I put her on some yogurt and getting some kind of vitamin. She went back today and hes happy with her progress but did put her on her antibiotics again since they are helping alot. Now she wont leave hwr front paw alone so idk. I feel like there ahould be something else I could do for her. She is a happy puppy though.

take time to really get it cleared up... her paw chewing could just be because she is itchy somewhere that she can not reach

OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
take time to really get it cleared up... her paw chewing could just be because she is itchy somewhere that she can not reach

I never thought of that. He said it would be a long progress but I can already see the hair coming back and she doesn't have the rash look anymore

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.