What health problems have you have with you English Bulldog? skin, eyes, mange ect?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
We've had some freak accidents, broken leg at 6 months that required orthopedic surgery and he swallowed a toy in April that had to be surgically removed. Other than that allergies that have been getting better and better with food changes. After the surgery in April Samson got his first ear infection which kept coming back, recently switched to Natures Variety dog food (potato and grain free) after hearing about jillh10's success with it controlling Linus' ear infections and so far (knock on wood) it seems to really be helping!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We've had some freak accidents, broken leg at 6 months that required orthopedic surgery and he swallowed a toy in April that had to be surgically removed. Other than that allergies that have been getting better and better with food changes. After the surgery in April Samson got his first ear infection which kept coming back, recently switched to Natures Variety dog food (potato and grain free) after hearing about jillh10's success with it controlling Linus' ear infections and so far (knock on wood) it seems to really be helping!

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] - and Linus is still infection free so I am hopeful Samson will have similar results.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I have been very lucky, Silva had an infection to her incision line after her spaying but was cleared up very quickly with antibiotics. About a year ago she had a skin infection in one of her folds but cleared up after a few days with an antibacterial cream and that is it! Thank goodness! The only other issue is when something changes, when we moved or the kids went back to school she gets very stressed and had major diarrhea issues, she sometimes has to go on meds if it continues for longer then 5 days.

Last edited:

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
Hi we have had a few problems with Bugzy, he would not keep the royal c puppy food down, it gave him diarrhea and he would vomit, so we switched him to nature natural, colds & alot of phlem, he got an infection that turned into a hot spot because we gave him frontline, he has dry flaky skin and we use oatmeal shampoo, now my worry is that he has developed two pink spots on his face next to his wrinkles and am not sure what it could be! i think it might be allergies but am not sure:( He is my first bully, so whenever i notice something wrong i get super worried!Help! any advice?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=1578]NICASFINEST[/MENTION] I looked up the food you are feeding and its not bad, it's a 4 star (Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble is a great resource for dog food ratings) but some foods work better for bullys than others even if it is a good food. The foods that seem to work best among the members here are Fromm and Nature's Variety Instinct. I suggest trying Fromms Surf & Turf or one of their Four Star formulas or any of the Nature's Variety Instinct formulas. I have found between my own experiences and hearing what others say that food has a HUGE impact on skin issues. Make sure to keep the wrinkles clean! With the shampoos I like to use a fragrance/soap free soap because it is very gentle on the skin, fragrances and soaps dry out skin. I use Tropiclean and you can find it at major pet stores with Petsmart. Hope that helps!

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
@samsons mom thanks for the advice, i took him to the vet today it turns out he had demodex and they prescribed ivermectin 1%orally, as well as benadryl and peroxide to clean the area, i only have one worry the vet is closed and i read online that you can not mix comfortis with ivermectin..so now i am stuck i want him to get better but dont want to harm him idk if i should start his meds or wait till the morning when i speak to the vet, does anyone know how much bendaryl to give a bully? thanks!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
@samsons mom thanks for the advice, i took him to the vet today it turns out he had demodex and they prescribed ivermectin 1%orally, as well as benadryl and peroxide to clean the area, i only have one worry the vet is closed and i read online that you can not mix comfortis with ivermectin..so now i am stuck i want him to get better but dont want to harm him idk if i should start his meds or wait till the morning when i speak to the vet, does anyone know how much bendaryl to give a bully? thanks!

[MENTION=1578]NICASFINEST[/MENTION] Benadryl dosage:

- 30 lbs and smaller pets: 10 mg
- 30-50 pound dogs: 25 mg
- 50 lbs and larger dogs: 50 mg

Did you find about the interaction issue with comfortis and ivermectin? I don't know anything about it but I hope you got an answer.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Well other then Chief being really sick with a deadly diease when he was six months old and then his toe thing he has been healthy and I have no problems with skin or anything.. Ireland is doing great no problems yet except since I wormed her she sometimes eats her poo... Hubby said the food must be pretty damn good to eat a second time around lol.. I now go around behind her to pick it up so she wont...

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon had some allergy issues when we first got him, but then we switched his food to Fromm.

We have had cherry eye twice in his left eye and now we have it in his right eye. He had an infection in his left eye, and then got an ulcer. Right now the left eye seems to be healing finally... i guess its time to move on to the right eye now.. :down:

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Before we found out what Stig was allergic to, his allergies caused him to develop mange and an ear infection.

He's great now, except for a cherry eye that we're trying to control without having to go to surgery.

Lola has a cherry eye. How are you trying to control it without surgery? I am nervous about surgery. She did not react well went put under when she was spayed. She ended up being okay and we had a great vet that saw some concerning signs and got her off it asap so no real troubles but enough to make me not want to go thru that again. Since cherry eye is more "cosmetic" we have elected no surgery for now.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have been sooooo lucky so far. My girls aren't quite 7 months old, but so far-so good. They haven't had anything to complain about. I joined this group the day after I brought my first puppy home and I've tried very hard to do everything I could to prevent problems. Hopefully all will continue to go well.

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
@ Samsons mom-i spoke to a different vet that day because his was out, she said i had to wait till comfortis was out of his system and its usually a month supply so i wont be able to start till the 24th of dec, but his dr also called me and told me he wasnt really worried about the comfortis in his system because he was starting him in a low dosage, but to be on the safe side he said thats fine to not start it yet but prescribed simplicef 100mg until he can start his ivermectin....so am glad i did my own research because i have heard to many sad stories about vets over looking stuff and the bullys dieing!and i didnt want to risk it and thanks for the bendaryl info am still giving him that for the itch

Last edited:

Connie03062

Mar 24, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy & Cayenne & Midas
Where to begin...

I'll start with Sparticus - entropian, distachia hairs, dry eye, allergies, cushings disease and Lymphoma - 3/10/10
his brother Merlin - elbow displasia, entropian, distachia hairs (numerous times) cherry eye in each eye, dry eye, allergies, UTI, blood in urine from kidney leaking, torn cruciates both knee's, and Lymphoma 3/12/10
Ziggy - palate resection, stenonic nares, seasonal flank alopecia
Cayenne - recurring ear infection in one ear
Midas - bacterial UTI, psudomonus pneumonia

Connie

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online