What health problems have you have with you English Bulldog? skin, eyes, mange ect?

Butterbean

Aug 14, 2010
Lawrenceville, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butterbean and Biscuit
Everyone who owns or has owned an English Bulldog knows they can have health problems. I would like to know the health problems that we are having today with the English Bulldogs? Is it still mange, eyes, skin, hip dysplasia, allergies, or breathing?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have noticed here on the forums there have been many skin and poo issues.

With my five I have had 1 case of skin infection, 1 case of eye ulcer, a few yeast infections and 1 hotspot. Most of which I was able to bring to health with the right food.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've personally experienced: skin, allergies, hip, knees (possibly related to underlying hip issue), and mange.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ok I am sooo fortunate, 1 ear infection at 8 months, other than that just allegies that has been controlled with food, I am Sooo lucky to have such a healthy Vegas!!! and on Dec. 1st he was 18 months old.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Aside from my bully being accident prone and tearing of a dewclaw while attacking the water hose some years back, we havent had much to complain about. Thankfully!!!! Maybe an ear infection or so but that is mostly it I would say. If it werent for me being the worry wart he wouldnt have gone to the vets as much as he has. lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Before we found out what Stig was allergic to, his allergies caused him to develop mange and an ear infection.

He's great now, except for a cherry eye that we're trying to control without having to go to surgery.

silfida

Apr 1, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
Bulldog(s) Names
Alexander & Moira
Let me see...
Alex had: cherry eye surgery, entropium surgery, elongated pallet surgery (both made at once), mange in the ears only, fungus on his back, pollen allergy (rashes when he plays few days at the grass)
Moira had: entropium surgery on both eyes. She'll have one more soon. First one wasn't successful.
This is till now and I hope to stay like this for a looooong time :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION], what kind of allergies does Stig have? Is he on a grain free, gluten free diet like Vegas?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has had Entropion, for which he is still being treated for, Food allergies, and the typical skin problems Bulldogs face, along with anal gland problems, tail-pocket problems, ear infections........

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we have only problems with mange "have pics" and now lex has seasonal allergies so we give him some allergy med and a few mins later hes fine

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - not too sure what he's allergic to. He does better on the meaty treats like dried venison than the cookie types, but he still can get hives from the meaty ones. We were going to do an allergy test but backed out when we realized that he was practically hives free when we completely stopped giving him treats. But, of course, that doesn't mean that we won't ever give me any. :)

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
The only problem we have had with Bruno is his food allergies. It took us about 10 months to figure out what food worked for him. He would throw up almost every day, and the vet was not great at helping us figure out what was causing it. Finally, thanks to this forum, we discovered that it was likely a food issue. We switched to Fromm Salmon and Veg and he has been like a different pup ever since! Other than that, just some minor skin issues that has been able to be treated with meds and a gel.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas has epilepsy. He also had mange as a puppy (very small spot) Almost everything he's seen the dr for..it's epilepsy related.
Orion may have allergies..she has some wicked tear stains. Her mama has Entropion, so that may be the cause.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie has had ear infections and used to vomit quite a lot ... that was until we discovered this site and learnt that Beneful was just awful, and switched her to FROMM 4*. Since then no more vomitting or ear infections, so I do believe that was food related.

Otherwise, she has Masticatory Muscle Myositis every November since we got her, but not this year and once again I am hoping that the food switch to Fromm helped her here too. MMM is not a disease that is common in English bulldogs by the way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online