Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What health problems have you have with you English Bulldog? skin, eyes, mange ect?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno and Bunker
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What health problems have you have with you English Bulldog? skin, eyes, mange ect?

The only problem we have had with Bruno is his food allergies. It took us about 10 months to figure out what food worked for him. He would throw up almost every day, and the vet was not great at helping us figure out what was causing it. Finally, thanks to this forum, we discovered that it was likely a food issue. We switched to Fromm Salmon and Veg and he has been like a different pup ever since! Other than that, just some minor skin issues that has been able to be treated with meds and a gel.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What health problems have you have with you English Bulldog? skin, eyes, mange ect?

Vegas has epilepsy. He also had mange as a puppy (very small spot) Almost everything he's seen the dr for..it's epilepsy related.
    Orion may have allergies..she has some wicked tear stains. Her mama has Entropion, so that may be the cause.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Maggie has had ear infections and used to vomit quite a lot ... that was until we discovered this site and learnt that Beneful was just awful, and switched her to FROMM 4*. Since then no more vomitting or ear infections, so I do believe that was food related.

Otherwise, she has Masticatory Muscle Myositis every November since we got her, but not this year and once again I am hoping that the food switch to Fromm helped her here too. MMM is not a disease that is common in English bulldogs by the way.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We've had some freak accidents, broken leg at 6 months that required orthopedic surgery and he swallowed a toy in April that had to be surgically removed. Other than that allergies that have been getting better and better with food changes. After the surgery in April Samson got his first ear infection which kept coming back, recently switched to Natures Variety dog food (potato and grain free) after hearing about jillh10's success with it controlling Linus' ear infections and so far (knock on wood) it seems to really be helping!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TessaAndSamson View Post
    We've had some freak accidents, broken leg at 6 months that required orthopedic surgery and he swallowed a toy in April that had to be surgically removed. Other than that allergies that have been getting better and better with food changes. After the surgery in April Samson got his first ear infection which kept coming back, recently switched to Natures Variety dog food (potato and grain free) after hearing about jillh10's success with it controlling Linus' ear infections and so far (knock on wood) it seems to really be helping!
    @TessaAndSamson - and Linus is still infection free so I am hopeful Samson will have similar results.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

I have been very lucky, Silva had an infection to her incision line after her spaying but was cleared up very quickly with antibiotics. About a year ago she had a skin infection in one of her folds but cleared up after a few days with an antibacterial cream and that is it! Thank goodness! The only other issue is when something changes, when we moved or the kids went back to school she gets very stressed and had major diarrhea issues, she sometimes has to go on meds if it continues for longer then 5 days.
    Last edited by Lacey28; 12-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member Butterbean's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butterbean and Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Me too your babies need a break.

Bulldog(s) Names
    BUGZY
    Likes (Received)

Hi we have had a few problems with Bugzy, he would not keep the royal c puppy food down, it gave him diarrhea and he would vomit, so we switched him to nature natural, colds & alot of phlem, he got an infection that turned into a hot spot because we gave him frontline, he has dry flaky skin and we use oatmeal shampoo, now my worry is that he has developed two pink spots on his face next to his wrinkles and am not sure what it could be! i think it might be allergies but am not sure He is my first bully, so whenever i notice something wrong i get super worried!Help! any advice?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@NICASFINEST I looked up the food you are feeding and its not bad, it's a 4 star (Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble is a great resource for dog food ratings) but some foods work better for bullys than others even if it is a good food. The foods that seem to work best among the members here are Fromm and Nature's Variety Instinct. I suggest trying Fromms Surf & Turf or one of their Four Star formulas or any of the Nature's Variety Instinct formulas. I have found between my own experiences and hearing what others say that food has a HUGE impact on skin issues. Make sure to keep the wrinkles clean! With the shampoos I like to use a fragrance/soap free soap because it is very gentle on the skin, fragrances and soaps dry out skin. I use Tropiclean and you can find it at major pet stores with Petsmart. Hope that helps!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    BUGZY
    Likes (Received)

@samsons mom thanks for the advice, i took him to the vet today it turns out he had demodex and they prescribed ivermectin 1%orally, as well as benadryl and peroxide to clean the area, i only have one worry the vet is closed and i read online that you can not mix comfortis with ivermectin..so now i am stuck i want him to get better but dont want to harm him idk if i should start his meds or wait till the morning when i speak to the vet, does anyone know how much bendaryl to give a bully? thanks!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NICASFINEST View Post
    @samsons mom thanks for the advice, i took him to the vet today it turns out he had demodex and they prescribed ivermectin 1%orally, as well as benadryl and peroxide to clean the area, i only have one worry the vet is closed and i read online that you can not mix comfortis with ivermectin..so now i am stuck i want him to get better but dont want to harm him idk if i should start his meds or wait till the morning when i speak to the vet, does anyone know how much bendaryl to give a bully? thanks!
    @NICASFINEST Benadryl dosage:

- 30 lbs and smaller pets: 10 mg
    - 30-50 pound dogs: 25 mg
    - 50 lbs and larger dogs: 50 mg

Did you find about the interaction issue with comfortis and ivermectin? I don't know anything about it but I hope you got an answer.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
    Likes (Received)

Well other then Chief being really sick with a deadly diease when he was six months old and then his toe thing he has been healthy and I have no problems with skin or anything.. Ireland is doing great no problems yet except since I wormed her she sometimes eats her poo... Hubby said the food must be pretty damn good to eat a second time around lol.. I now go around behind her to pick it up so she wont...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads