luxating patella on both legs!

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi my Bella, who is almost two has been diagnosed with luxating patellas in both legs and will need surgery. My question is, should we do both knees at the same time? If there are other owners that have experienced having both knees done, how hard was it to get the dog to go out to go to the bathroom? She is about 50 lbs and I am not sure if I will be able to handle carrying her! If you have any tips please share!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say do both at the same time. We had taken a rescue who needed this surgery. We had it done, it was only on one leg, but our vet told us to walk him and work the knee several time a day. You might check with your vet to see what they think. Also I would get a good bully vet to do the surgery too.

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
hy8a9ema.jpg
naha2ega.jpg
zujenuve.jpg

Benedict just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago, he had one knee that was a grade 4 and the other is grade 2. The Vet recommended he have surgery of the left knee the one that was grade four, he didn't want to do them both at the same time. Benedict is 55 lbs it was really hard to carry him outside so I bout ha fake grass potty area for him, after his two week check up Dte vet allowed the three stairs to the back yard he recommended I buy a ginger lead ( I send you photo) is to help them walk without them putting to much weight initially or fallowing over and doing damage. The main problem is the couch no jumping for 60 days +. Some one sent me a great book on rehab I have it on email if you don't mind sending me your email I'll send it to you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
can't add any better than benedict2013 did..... best of luck and please keep us posted

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great post by [MENTION=7482]Benedict2013[/MENTION] that sling was what I was going to tell you about. Sending prayers and I sure hope your baby heals fast. :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you! Bella is at the vet surgeon right now with my husband and they are recommending doing one leg at a time.

​Good luck and let us know...keeping y'all & Bella in prayers~GOD bless!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Prayers to you & Bella… please keep us posted!!!

Most Reactions