Eye Goop

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Ok so we got Gator back now, We notice his eye looks lazy.... It's very goopie and puffy on the bottom (like when you wake up in the morning and you have bags under your eyes) like that puffy. I've cleaned his eyes, always wiping the goop from his eye and kept a warm wet compress on it for as long as his would let me... Any suggestions on what to do we don't have a vet yet. since he just got here and were looking to a few and also getting pet insurance

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be allergy related?? Benedryl. 1mg per pound up to 3x a day

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Could just be from allergies, or it could be an infection. Try the Benedryl and if it doesn't look better in a few days, take her to the vet.

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
thank you [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I'll give that a try hopefully it'll work

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My Molly has bad eye boogers, I use baush and lomb eye wash and refresh eye drops, works great. This is a daily 2x a day thing. I also wash the pollen and freshen everyone's eyes once a week just as part of the grooming routine. Hopefully it is just allergies and is not an injury or anything.

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Living in ABQ definitely brings out allergies. Sancho always has eye goop and a runny nose. Not sure what the allergen is, but when it gets moderate to severe, we give him some children's Benadryl. We also rub his face with a cool compress to minimize any swelling and itchiness.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Living in ABQ definitely brings out allergies. Sancho always has eye goop and a runny nose. Not sure what the allergen is, but when it gets moderate to severe, we give him some children's Benadryl. We also rub his face with a cool compress to minimize any swelling and itchiness.

I just learned from Bev @Twice said not to give children's medicine to our pets
as so many use xlitol in them (a sweetner) and very poisonous to animals.
GOD bless!

mmbma

Dec 4, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tiger
My tiger, 6 months male, has the same issue. Wouldn't go away and took him to the vet. Turned out it could develop into something serious very quickly. He prescribed neomycin and plymyxin ointment to treat the inflammation plus carprofen orally. both are anti biotics. He's been on it for three days and didn't get better. rechecked him today, his lower eyelid, after being swollen, rolls inward toward the eye and irritates the area. so he now wears an E collar to prevent stractching, and we'll put a simple stitch under his eyelid so it doesn't roll inward while it's healing..... costs ALOT of money. Didn't think i need insurance but now I'm buying. Any recommendations please?

Most Reactions