Frequent Throwing Up

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Our Otis has been having frequent episodes of throwing up. Like maybe once or twice a week. He throws up and then he is fine. He is not losing weight and acts like his normal self. I have changed his food and that doesn't seem to have helped. We have noticed lately that he will groom himself and start gagging. Could he possibly have a hairball since they shed so much? If so how do I treat it?

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Yes, it is a yellowish color and he does it mostly at night.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Well hopefully someone with more knowledge will be on to help soon...Meanwhile, my thoughts, my Harley was throughing up a few times a week, my vet suggested we feed alittle something around 8pm, because there tummies don't like to be empty for too long...say from 5pm till morning. We had to adjust his meals into 3x a day, some give a rice cake before bed.
Not sure about your Otis might be something entirely different..lets see what the the others say.

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I have noticed that he tends to eat more in the evening. I told my husband this afternoon that we needed to start leaving him small amounts in his bowl instead of filling it full.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well maybe, how old is Otis, I love that name BTW ...its one of Harley's middle names! There really could many reasons for why he is doing this....

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thank you. Our son named him and at first I hated it, but now the name fits him perfectly. Otis is 2.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No way! Harley will be 2 New Years Eve! Otis is very handsome and great eyes too! I hope all works out, I'll check back on you later and in the morn, K;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it is a yellowish color and he does it mostly at night.

Sounds like an empty belly... Maybe give snack at some point before bed see it it helps

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A vet visit might be best, just in case....We took Harley cause he started throwing up 3x a week or so..he sent us home with 4 anti-nausea pills and told us not to give the 4th if he stopped throwing up, along with dividing up the meals into 3 and giving them at 8am -4pm-8pm sometimes he falls asleep and i leave it in the bowl. Since then i measure them all out. if i catch anybody not measuring i...:bitching:

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Yellowish sounds like it's bile = empty stomach. Try breaking up the feeding to twice a day, this might help alleviate it. Daphnee would do this, but in the morning, so she started getting a night time snack to help out.

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thanks for the help. We are trying twice a day feedings to see if that helps.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Our Otis has been having frequent episodes of throwing up. Like maybe once or twice a week. He throws up and then he is fine. He is not losing weight and acts like his normal self. I have changed his food and that doesn't seem to have helped. We have noticed lately that he will groom himself and start gagging. Could he possibly have a hairball since they shed so much? If so how do I treat it?

:welcome3: Deanna, You'll love it here. I Like the name Otis, somehow it just seems to fit their faces lol. I've had the same problem with my boys, I feed them early in the morning, and late in the evening, sometimes being 12 hrs apart. Rocky would throw up, but not a large amount, anywhere from the size of a quarter, to 3" in diameter. The vomit is a yellowish liquid, and slimy. We've had this discussion before, and what some of the members did was to feed their Baby's a plane Rice cake in the evening, and not allow them to go to bed hungry, as they would surely vomit the next morning in getting their food. I use snacks and training with my boys at night, and during the day, they get fruit and such between their kibbles. It helps tremendously, and I hope you give this a try with Otis and hopefully you'll have as good a luck as we who've had this problem have had. :yes: Good Luck!!

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Don't mean to hijack your thread but my Petunia did the same just this morning...she woke up around 6 am and threw up twice (once was nothing) in succession on the bed. It was yellowish and frothy. I already feed her twice daily...should I switch to 3X? She seems to want something to eat around 8:30 ish...

She did NOT want to eat her breakfast this am which is unusual for her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.