Help Needed! Palate Surgery?

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi Everyone! I took Barkley to the vet a few weeks ago and she definitely thinks he has a long palate and would like to do surgery to see if he does and correct it. He is quiet most of the time, but when he gets excited, goes on walks, is playing etc., he is EXTREMELY loud! I always knew he was pretty loud, but didn't realize how much of a problem it could be until she told me about this and I started doing some research. He doesn't ever seem to really have trouble breathing or act like he can't catch his breath, just is really, really loud!

Barkley just turned 1 in November and we haven't gotten him neutered yet. He hardly ever humps, only marks trees at the dog park, and is not aggressive whatsoever, so we were going to hold off for awhile. We were also thinking of looking into breeding him since he's such a good looking bully and has a great personality. But then I read that if they do have a long palate, they shouldn't be bred since it is genetic :(

So we were thinking to just bite the bullet and have him neutered and the palate surgery done at the same time. I was going to try and schedule it in a few weeks since I have some time off work around Christmas. However, I also read that you should wait to have the palate surgery until they are at least 2 years old...My vet didn't say anything about this and seemed like we should get it done pretty soon since it could affect his breathing a lot (she couldn't even hear his heartbeat because of loud he was there!).

Is 2 years old the suggested age for this? Has anyone had theirs done younger and everything been ok? I don't want to have it done if it could grow back again since he could still be growing...But then again if it is bad and could cause him problems I don't want to wait too long either.

Thanks for any advice! :)

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
Hi not sure what help I can really give but I am sure you will get very informes info from someone here. I can just share my story jack is one year's old and has had 2 surgeries for his stenosis nares. His breathing is so good now he use to sleep sitting up as a puppy because he could not breathing. after the first surgery he was able to lay down and sleep like a normal dog. His nares were still tight and my vet wanted to open them somemore so 2 mo ago he had the surgery done again.! Now he is walking 2 mi a daywith no problem. The vet did say he has the longated palate and if he has any problems we should consider the surgery she said she would not do til after he is 2 yrs old though andshe said it is a major surgery for bulldogs.Good luck keep us updated:)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
One thing to be aware of is to have the palate surgery done with a laser. There isn't as much bleeding or swelling and healing is faster. Bulldogs usually don't live long enough to need the surgery twice. Ask your vet how much thicker the tissue that needs to be removed will be if you wait until he is 2 and if that will make the surgery harder on your pup!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had the palate procedure done for two of our babies, both times our vet stated he would not do the procedure until they were at least two because they grow until age two. But, if you vet feels your babies is that bad, it might be best to do it earlier.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have done the palate surgery on a couple before they were two and they did fine.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks for the info everyone! I guess I will call the vet and see if they think he should get it done now or hold off for a little while longer. They said they see a lot of bulldogs there so I'm thinking they'll know what they're talking about! :)

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Well I called the vet today and they said it was fine to do it now but if I wanted to wait until he was 2 then that's ok too....Sooooo, not much help there haha....Any recommendations on which way would be the best to go??

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well I called the vet today and they said it was fine to do it now but if I wanted to wait until he was 2 then that's ok too....Sooooo, not much help there haha....Any recommendations on which way would be the best to go??

UGH!! that is of no help to you. If it is a definite that he will need it, it might be good to just handle both at once, tough call on my end not being able to here are see him when active.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
UGH!! that is of no help to you. If it is a definite that he will need it, it might be good to just handle both at once, tough call on my end not being able to here are see him when active.

I know, it's hard for me to really know too...He doesn't seem like he has trouble breathing, he just makes a lot of noise! When he isn't being active and just hanging out, he is quiet and just breaths through his nose normally. He seems fine when he is sleeping too, he breaths through his nose, although he can snore pretty loud sometimes! It's just when he is playing and running around he gets so loud and I always just thought it was because he can play pretty hard and doesn't like to stop and take breaks! But he does get a lot of comments on how loud he is when we're at the dog park, etc., so I guess it isn't really normal...He's our first Bulldog and I knew they could be loud breathers but I guess they aren't supposed to be this loud :)

Although it doesn't seem to me like he is having trouble breathing, I'm sure maybe he could actually be and the surgery would help him breathe easier and be able to play longer/better. My main concern is trying to avoid needing it done again later down the road if it keeps growing since he isn't 2 yet......Ahhhhh! Decisions, decisions....

atrelegan

Dec 8, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Our dog Dozer just had this last month at 6 months with his neutering. They also removed his tonsils and widened his nares. It was done by Laser and he did great. He came home that afternoon and had no problems. He breaths so differently now and runs around with our other dog. Best thing ever. It was not very expensive here in Maine. Our vet performs it for free for the french bulldog rescue so we new he was reputable. Let me know if you have any questions.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi there - Has your dog had the palate surgery? Our Oliver is a little over 3 and I suspect he has an elongated palate. We are going to the vet tomorrow. I'm nervous and anxious to see what she says. Was your dog's only issue with breathing or did he regurgitate a lot too?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi there - Has your dog had the palate surgery? Our Oliver is a little over 3 and I suspect he has an elongated palate. We are going to the vet tomorrow. I'm nervous and anxious to see what she says. Was your dog's only issue with breathing or did he regurgitate a lot too?
Hi! No, we haven't had it done yet...I think we are going to wait until he is closer to 2 years old plus I want to find another vet who uses the laser since everyone says that is a must. He was throwing up at random times before but I don't think that had to do with the palate. It was mainly when it closer to his time to eat so I think he was just hungry! We started giving him more snacks in between and I haven't noticed it happening as much.What did your vet say about Oliver??

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We waited until Lola was 2 years old. but our vet (one of the top surgeons in Toronto) was more comfortable with sutures and not the laser, so we went with him anyway. It all worked out. Lola just threw up a bit after the surgery because her throat was not only sore, but itchy from healing and sutures. I would go first with a trusted surgeon, and rather than a different surgeon who opts for laser over traditional surgery.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We waited until Lola was 2 years old. but our vet (one of the top surgeons in Toronto) was more comfortable with sutures and not the laser, so we went with him anyway. It all worked out. Lola just threw up a bit after the surgery because her throat was not only sore, but itchy from healing and sutures. I would go first with a trusted surgeon, and rather than a different surgeon who opts for laser over traditional surgery.

Could nit agree mire our vet does both laser and traditional and we just had this done for our Frenchie... Our vet opted for traditional on him, he bases it on how much tissue needs to be removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
What did your vet say about Oliver??

Well, she did xrays that showed his airway down to his stomach. The good news is he doesn't have Megaesophagus which is something I was worried about. She saw a small, round thing in/near his larynx which she feels might be a small polyp. He has to have an endoscopy and that will give further imaging and will also allow them to check his soft palate. We meet with an internist on Monday at our nearby animal hospital and will be setting up an appointment for the endoscopy that day. Thankfully, nothing is super urgent. Oliver is eating, playing, being normal. It is just clear that there is obviously something making him regurgitate and we need to find out what. Can I add you as a friend and maybe we can keep each other updated?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.