sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We waited until Lola was 2 years old. but our vet (one of the top surgeons in Toronto) was more comfortable with sutures and not the laser, so we went with him anyway. It all worked out. Lola just threw up a bit after the surgery because her throat was not only sore, but itchy from healing and sutures. I would go first with a trusted surgeon, and rather than a different surgeon who opts for laser over traditional surgery.

That's very true! Thanks for the advice! We're still kind of new to the area and Barkley is our first bully so I'm definitely going to do a little more vet research on who the best is around here before scheduling the surgery!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Well, she did xrays that showed his airway down to his stomach. The good news is he doesn't have Megaesophagus which is something I was worried about. She saw a small, round thing in/near his larynx which she feels might be a small polyp. He has to have an endoscopy and that will give further imaging and will also allow them to check his soft palate. We meet with an internist on Monday at our nearby animal hospital and will be setting up an appointment for the endoscopy that day. Thankfully, nothing is super urgent. Oliver is eating, playing, being normal. It is just clear that there is obviously something making him regurgitate and we need to find out what. Can I add you as a friend and maybe we can keep each other updated?

Yea definitely keep me in the loop with how everything goes!! Does Oliver regurgitate at certain times of the day or when he just excited/breathing heavy, etc.? It seems like Barkley has been throwing up a little more lately and now I'm not sure if it's due to his palate or not? It's usually when it's getting close to time for him to eat and he isn't being active, so I'm not really too sure! He threw up the other morning in his crate right before I went to let him out and again last night about an hour before his dinner time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Yea definitely keep me in the loop with how everything goes!! Does Oliver regurgitate at certain times of the day or when he just excited/breathing heavy, etc.? It seems like Barkley has been throwing up a little more lately and now I'm not sure if it's due to his palate or not? It's usually when it's getting close to time for him to eat and he isn't being active, so I'm not really too sure! He threw up the other morning in his crate right before I went to let him out and again last night about an hour before his dinner time.

Oliver's regurgitation varied. We saw the internist on Monday and she felt it might have nothing to do with his palate but we should first explore other non-invasive ways to control it before putting him under for an endoscopy. She had us change his food so he would have a protein change. Also, a lot of his regurgitation contained carrots that were in his food so we are now on a pork liver food that is a Metabolic Diet. (he also needs to lose 7-10 pounds. lol) She wants him eating from an elevated bowl which we have tried in the past but he is afraid of it. (he drinks from an elevated bowl, though) So we are working on that. Another change, our normal vet said we should give him one Pepcid per day. The internist suggested we try one Prilosec per day.

Oliver last regurgitated on Monday morning, prior to seeing the internist. Since then, we did an immediate food change (I was worried about that. I usually slowly change foods but she said to just change him.) He has NOT regurgitated since then! He loves his new food and so far so good. I am being cautiously optimistic. She said it could take 3-4 weeks to see a change and if no change, then an endoscopy to look at his palate. This is the longest we've gone without even a tiny regurgitation so I am going to think positively!

I am sending tons of good, healthy, healing vibes to you and your baby! Please keep us posted!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We did Brie's palate when she had her spay fine at 6 months. No one said anything about it growing back?? She turned 1 12/12 and has been doing fine w it.

atrelegan

Dec 8, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
My vet never mentioned it growing back either. Yikes...hope we don't have to do it again.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Oliver's regurgitation varied. We saw the internist on Monday and she felt it might have nothing to do with his palate but we should first explore other non-invasive ways to control it before putting him under for an endoscopy. She had us change his food so he would have a protein change. Also, a lot of his regurgitation contained carrots that were in his food so we are now on a pork liver food that is a Metabolic Diet. (he also needs to lose 7-10 pounds. lol) She wants him eating from an elevated bowl which we have tried in the past but he is afraid of it. (he drinks from an elevated bowl, though) So we are working on that. Another change, our normal vet said we should give him one Pepcid per day. The internist suggested we try one Prilosec per day.

Oliver last regurgitated on Monday morning, prior to seeing the internist. Since then, we did an immediate food change (I was worried about that. I usually slowly change foods but she said to just change him.) He has NOT regurgitated since then! He loves his new food and so far so good. I am being cautiously optimistic. She said it could take 3-4 weeks to see a change and if no change, then an endoscopy to look at his palate. This is the longest we've gone without even a tiny regurgitation so I am going to think positively!

I am sending tons of good, healthy, healing vibes to you and your baby! Please keep us posted!

Oh wow! That's great your vet is trying different things before surgery...I'm so glad to hear your baby is doing a little better so far! :) We also have Barkley on Fromm Pork and Peas and he loves it and does great on it. When he does throw up, it's usually just a little bit of yellow bile.

I've been calling around to a lot of vets and think I've decided to go ahead and schedule the surgery with the vet who we originally saw that recommended him having it. They seem to have the best experience with bulldogs and the palate surgery. A lot of places I called didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked about the surgery!

I'm nervous about my little buddy having surgery but I know it will probably help his breathing a lot! And we are going out of town a couple times in the next few months so a friend will be watching him and I'll feel better knowing that she won't have to worry about his breathing if she takes him to the park or anything.

I'll definitely be praying for you guys and hoping Oliver keeps doing better with the changes!!

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oh wow! That's great your vet is trying different things before surgery...I'm so glad to hear your baby is doing a little better so far! :) We also have Barkley on Fromm Pork and Peas and he loves it and does great on it. When he does throw up, it's usually just a little bit of yellow bile.

I've been calling around to a lot of vets and think I've decided to go ahead and schedule the surgery with the vet who we originally saw that recommended him having it. They seem to have the best experience with bulldogs and the palate surgery. A lot of places I called didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked about the surgery!

I'm nervous about my little buddy having surgery but I know it will probably help his breathing a lot! And we are going out of town a couple times in the next few months so a friend will be watching him and I'll feel better knowing that she won't have to worry about his breathing if she takes him to the park or anything.

I'll definitely be praying for you guys and hoping Oliver keeps doing better with the changes!!

I'm wishing Barkley tons of luck! Definitely go with the vet who is knowledgeable about the surgery and bulldogs. Please keep me posted! XO

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I'm wishing Barkley tons of luck! Definitely go with the vet who is knowledgeable about the surgery and bulldogs. Please keep me posted! XO

So Barkley's big day is tomorrow....I'm so nervous! He will be getting the soft palate repair and neutering done as well.

After I finally decided to go with the one vet who recommended him having the palate repair done, I called them to schedule it and they said she wasn't doing that surgery anymore!! So I called another vet who we've seen before for a couple little things (they're supposed to be great with bulldogs but are kind of expensive and a little further away) and they said they do the palate surgery a lot on bulldogs and also use the laser! So I'm hoping that having the laser done instead now will make his healing a lot smoother.

I've been so anxious and just want it all to be over! I think the worst part will probably be him being so upset when he doesn't get his breakfast tomorrow!! I know he is going to be so mad! haha

I'll make sure to post an update this weekend on how everything went and how he is doing.

How is Oliver doing now???

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Sending prayers you and Barkley's way for a successful surgery and quick healing!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You and Barkley are definitely in our prayers, please let us know how it goes.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
thinking of you guys! hope all goes well, we are so thankful Lola is better after she had it done.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Best of luck..... Hugs and prayers to you both!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks Everyone!! Well the vet called a little while ago and said he was all done and everything went great! He said Barkley definitely had a long palate so he trimmed that and did some work to his tonsils as well. He also did the neutering and took out a cyst that was on his hip! Poor little guy!!

They are going to keep an eye on him for awhile and said I can pick him up later this afternoon! I'm just so relieved it's all over and everything went well!! :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Glad to hear all went well. My foster bully is having this done on March 6 and I can not wait for it to be done and over with. I pray for continued healing and recovery for your baby boy.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Glad to hear all went well. My foster bully is having this done on March 6 and I can not wait for it to be done and over with. I pray for continued healing and recovery for your baby boy.

Thank you! I'll be praying for your foster baby as well!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online