Bald Spot on Tonka

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hello guys! I've searched and searched. Now I have a small problem.

Tonka has a small bald spot that I noticed a few days ago. He doesn't scratch it. So it is not itchy. It isn't wet, so no puss or anything. I do not think it's a hot spot. It could be a hot spot healing maybe? Not too sure. I'm not sure what it is.

I was going to clean it with apple cider vinegar and put coconut oil on it.

Before I do it I wanted to ask everyone opinion before. Any recommendations on to what to do? And what is the cause of this one bald spot?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
A bald spot could be a sign of Demodex mange. That is how Bogeys manifested, and it was never itchy, just a bald spot under his chin on his neck. I have heard that coconut oil is great for killing mites, so it won't hurt, but I would have a scraping to be sure- they are hard to get rid of, but if caught early, it lessens the treatment time.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas get's these sometimes soon due to allergies. Watch it closely and make sure no other appear, because like @merr55 said it could be a sign of mange. Vegas also has had that.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yes lola had a few bald spots, but they were never even a bit pink. her's lasted almost a year, but completely grew back when we switched to raw food, and gave her salmon oil to supplement. could be as easy as a food allergy. our vet wouldnt even scrape her because she wasnt itchy at all. we started giving lola vitamin E a few times a week by piercing the capsules and squirting it on her food. we'd put it on her bald spot as well but it was sticky, and as i said, the hair grew back completely only when we gave her different food.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be Demodex mange or just from allergies. Diva got one a month ago and it was just from an allergy. We put some Chlorhexidine on it and it is fine now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd get a scrape done to rule out mange... As Mary stated, get it early and it will heal quicker

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I would go to the vet and have a scrape done like the others said it never hurts if its negative then most likely an allergy Sheldon gets these sometimes.

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
thank you guys! went to the vet, and said it's a small case of the mange. he also said not to worry since Tonka is still a puppy. He said keep it clean and watch it over the next few days. And if it gets worst it, he will prescribe medication. But since he is a puppy, they usually get it and it goes away. So all I have to do now is keep an eye out. Thanks for all the help!

Most Reactions