Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
So, I woke up this morning, and Maximus was lying on the floor ..... next thing I know he stands up and is unable to walk. His back <L> leg he lifts off the ground and is hobbling along on 3 legs. OMG ! WHAT on earth happened ! Should I rush him to the vet? or maybe he just slept wrong on his leg, or it's just stiff, or I don't know what to do here .............

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
How old is he? Was he playing rough before it happened or was he sleeping?

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Harley did this a few weeks ago, could not stand, swaying on back legs and limping.....he had been putting alot of pressure on them when he had his tail infection and wouldnt move! Soo I just kept an eye on him and by the 4th day he was recouping, he was soo stiff to. I got him the CoseQuin DS Plus ONLINE at COSTCO same as the vet but much much cheaper! 2, 180 ct for $80.00! The vet was 140.00 for 1 bottle! It really seems to be helping. Another thing i checked on harley was his toes, sure enough, it was read and some cysts, it was also painful to the touch. I did some reading on this sight about interdigital cyst and found a GEM....Povidone Iodine! There is a video on this site and You Tube. I have a read link I'll re-post. Hope Maximus feels better, let us know.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

Hey check out this link and try Povidone-Iodine! and there is a video for it on the Bulldogs News, look for it in inter-digital cysts! I highly suggest the video!http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-kar...b_1651994.html ...The video is great, let me know if you cant find it or you tube it. I did it for Harley the other day and what a difference! Although they were not so bad, i could tell they bothered him. Let us know how things work out for your sweet boy.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hello,
I took Max to the Vet, and he has a strain/sprain/ligament tear in his <L> back leg. He is on antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and pain medication. Plus, he has an ear infection and a skin infection. I have to call the Vet in 3-days to let him know if Max is feeling/doing any better. Right now he is resting quietly, but panting heavily.
I think he is uncomfortable. He had his first dose of the anti-inflammatories for the day. Wish me luck. thanks to all of you for your care and concern.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bummer, hope Max gets better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,
I took Max to the Vet, and he has a strain/sprain/ligament tear in his <L> back leg. He is on antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and pain medication. Plus, he has an ear infection and a skin infection. I have to call the Vet in 3-days to let him know if Max is feeling/doing any better. Right now he is resting quietly, but panting heavily.
I think he is uncomfortable. He had his first dose of the anti-inflammatories for the day. Wish me luck. thanks to all of you for your care and concern.

Poor Maximus, doesn't take much for them to do this type of injury. You are right, the panting is due to pain/discomfort. Keep him calm and spoiled... He will be fine in no time.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
I've heard that pain meds are a catch 22 with dogs. If they aren't in some pain, they won't stay off that leg and could cause more damage. Try and get some rest and stay off it.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
It appears Max has damaged his ACL and surgery is indicated. He is staying put and not really ambulating at all and when he stands up he is lifting that leg off the ground ---
he sees the Orthopedic surgeon on December 12th so he will be on pain medication and anti-inflammatories until then.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I'm very sorry to read this about Max, Time to time my boys will wake up from a nap favoring a leg, I've learned now that the leg falls asleep on them, But I do keep a close eye on them just in case. These guys are so much like children without a voice it isn't funny! I wonder how Max tore his ACL, thats a sports injury usually. You and Max are in thoughts and prayers, Wishing a speedy recovery for Max.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It appears Max has damaged his ACL and surgery is indicated. He is staying put and not really ambulating at all and when he stands up he is lifting that leg off the ground ---
he sees the Orthopedic surgeon on December 12th so he will be on pain medication and anti-inflammatories until then.

UGH!! I was hoping that would not be the case. I went throught this twice with Nitschke... it is a tough recovery for you more than him. Have to keep them very calm, no steps, no running, leashed walks only, no jumping... you get it.

Best of luck withit all and please keep us posted

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus

I took to ebn tonight bc my Bocephus is limping as well. Sometimes when he gets up, he limps, other times he doesn't. When we go outside for a bathroom break, he might limp for a second, then its as if nothing is wrong, he runs around as usual. Like I said, bc he doesn't limp all the time, I thought we would wait it out. I feel bad not doing anything. I checked out his leg and foot, doesn't seem to be a problem with the foot. I have been trying to keep him from jumping off the couch/bed. But that is next to impossible if he thinks he hears something :(
At this point, I am just curious about what to expect at the vet..... will they automatically want to do xray/mri? Do they do meds first? He's allergic to Carprofen....
Any insight would be great!!!
Liz

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon does this from time to time like David said I think its Sheldon's leg falling asleep but Poor Max hope Bless his heart! Sending love hugs prayers for both Max and Bo!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.