Help Needed! Think Walter is sick (paw cysts, constipated? and maybe a cold)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hi @2BullyMama @desertskybulldogs @Harleyleeotis12321

Okay, we went and bought the Povidone Iodine and gave him a foot soak according to the directions on the article. Does Walter look thrilled? LOL Those are my husband's arms in the picture.

He decided to take a seat.

Right now he seems in really good spirits. He is alert and chewing on one of his toys. He also pooped again, and though it wasn't as much as usual, it's still coming out - so that's good. :yes:

Thanks again, everyone. I will keep you posted!

KIMG0151.JPG

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That looks great and he couldn't look any cuter!, it's a bacteria killer so you really can't do any better. Hope it works and he's on the road to recovery. Keep up on it until they are completely gone too. I learned that from Jeannie's article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
You have been given great advice ,i just wanted to say that i hope Walter feels better soon xx

Rvillarr61

Dec 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
My Oscar was pretty much experiencing the same. He had a cyst the size of a nickel & I took him in. The dr said that wasn't a cyst since it was so big but it was a lesion. They did a biopsy & found out he had MRSA. He was put on prednisone & an antibiotic. He will need to be on medications for a while to fight the infection. I suggest you take your dog to the vet & have them biopsy the cyst to see what it is!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi @2BullyMama @desertskybulldogs @Harleyleeotis12321

Okay, we went and bought the Povidone Iodine and gave him a foot soak according to the directions on the article. Does Walter look thrilled? LOL Those are my husband's arms in the picture.

He decided to take a seat.

Right now he seems in really good spirits. He is alert and chewing on one of his toys. He also pooped again, and though it wasn't as much as usual, it's still coming out - so that's good. :yes:

Thanks again, everyone. I will keep you posted!

View attachment 61505

great picture.... Is so so damn adorable and will be all healed up in no time! Hugs to you all

JoeR53

Jul 24, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blu Lily Gemma
What a handsome Bully! We had a lot of problems with cysts when we first got our kids, changing food helped a lot, but it did take time. Good luck, Walter got a great home.

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hi, everyone! I just wanted to update on Walter's vet visit.

I told hubby to collect his poop, but men... :whistle: Just kidding. He figured we didn't have to and of course, the first thing the vet tech asked is, "Did you bring a fecal sample?" So we still have to bring in a fecal sample to the vet's office. The doctor said he's not too worried about it, but still wants to do the fecal test. He said to give him some pumpkin - it's probably lack of fiber. So off to the store to get pumpkin today.

Also said that Walter's heart sounds great. He is a bit overweight (69 pounds), but we're working on that - he's probably shaved off 6 pounds since coming to us. He said that his nose slits are not round like most bulldogs. He says Walter has infection in both ears and gave us drops - Synotic with Baytril - twice a day for ten days.

For his cysts, the doctor says that's probably allergies and he doesn't think it is food related, but environmental, which I am unsure of where that can come from because we live in the city (as in a highrise downtown). So I am not sure what he's exposed to - and he came to us from the rescue with those cysts. They did get worse over time, though. He also said it's odd he only has them on his front paws and not his back paws at all because most times they have them on all four paws.

We were given Douxo Calm Gel to spray on them twice a day and an antibiotic for the cysts - Cefpodoxime 200MG once a day. We have to go back to pick up another prescription, they were out of it yesterday (it's also to be applied directly to his paws).

Hopefully all this will help him. My mom (in Florida - I am in California) said the bully she is helping with got switched from Fromm to Natural Balance fish and sweet potato and is doing a million times better; that his coat is way better and the patches of hair that he had falling out are almost all grown back - within five days' time.

I have Walter on the Fromm (Beef and veg frittata), but I am wondering if he could be allergic to it? The vet didn't think so, but I still wonder...

So hopefully all this helps our Walter! Thanks, everyone for your feedback and advice.

Oh - and we are continuing with those iodine soaks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, so sorry Walter is going through all this stuff, poor guy, and you, it must be so worrisome. You have already gotten great advice and seen the vet, hopefully everything will help. Pumpkin will help with the constipation, and you can also soak his paws in apple cider vinegar and warm water. I just wanted to wish you well, and hope Walter feels better really soon, sending love, hugs and prayers your way that he feels better soon. He's already better with you rescuing and caring for him, thanks for saving this beautiful bully. You are awesome.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, everyone! I just wanted to update on Walter's vet visit.

I told hubby to collect his poop, but men... :whistle: Just kidding. He figured we didn't have to and of course, the first thing the vet tech asked is, "Did you bring a fecal sample?" So we still have to bring in a fecal sample to the vet's office. The doctor said he's not too worried about it, but still wants to do the fecal test. He said to give him some pumpkin - it's probably lack of fiber. So off to the store to get pumpkin today.

Also said that Walter's heart sounds great. He is a bit overweight (69 pounds), but we're working on that - he's probably shaved off 6 pounds since coming to us. He said that his nose slits are not round like most bulldogs. He says Walter has infection in both ears and gave us drops - Synotic with Baytril - twice a day for ten days.

For his cysts, the doctor says that's probably allergies and he doesn't think it is food related, but environmental, which I am unsure of where that can come from because we live in the city (as in a highrise downtown). So I am not sure what he's exposed to - and he came to us from the rescue with those cysts. They did get worse over time, though. He also said it's odd he only has them on his front paws and not his back paws at all because most times they have them on all four paws.

We were given Douxo Calm Gel to spray on them twice a day and an antibiotic for the cysts - Cefpodoxime 200MG once a day. We have to go back to pick up another prescription, they were out of it yesterday (it's also to be applied directly to his paws).

Hopefully all this will help him. My mom (in Florida - I am in California) said the bully she is helping with got switched from Fromm to Natural Balance fish and sweet potato and is doing a million times better; that his coat is way better and the patches of hair that he had falling out are almost all grown back - within five days' time.

I have Walter on the Fromm (Beef and veg frittata), but I am wondering if he could be allergic to it? The vet didn't think so, but I still wonder...

So hopefully all this helps our Walter! Thanks, everyone for your feedback and advice.

Oh - and we are continuing with those iodine soaks!

It can totally be the food or even simple house dust. Think about trying the Fromm Pork and Peas, you can just switch without transition - I had Banks on the Beef and she did well, but I switched her the PnP and she is doing awesome on it

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
It can totally be the food or even simple house dust. Think about trying the Fromm Pork and Peas, you can just switch without transition - I had Banks on the Beef and she did well, but I switched her the PnP and she is doing awesome on it

Thank you! We will do that. Also, the pumpkin seems to work beautifully. And he LOVES it LOL!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I am going through this at the moment. Epsom salt treatments and considering giving her coconut oil as well. I feel so bad for her going through this.

We been to the vet and they said , soak her paws in epsom salt 3 x a week.

I know my girl has an environmental allergy. Grass is my conclusion.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I am going through this at the moment. Epsom salt treatments and considering giving her coconut oil as well. I feel so bad for her going through this.

We been to the vet and they said , soak her paws in epsom salt 3 x a week.

I know my girl has an environmental allergy. Grass is my conclusion.

There's been a lot of posts lately about yeasty paws, some other suggestions:
1) Soak your dog's paws in a tub full of a solution containing 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of warm water and 2 drops of oregano oil.
2) Betadine in bath water to make it tea coloured. Soak paws in this for at least 5 min daily till better
3) Wash paws daily with a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo like ketohex or curaseb, leave on for 10 min then wash off

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.