Help Needed! Think Walter is sick (paw cysts, constipated? and maybe a cold)

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
I think our boy is sick. He is sleeping more than usual and this morning when he pooped, he groaned a bit and it was less than normal. That happened yesterday, too. It was also a little harder than normal.

He has paw cysts, too (front paws, none on his back paws). Pictures below. We soak him in epsom salts, give him Apple Cider vinegar, too (everyday). The fosters told us his old vet said they'd go away. Well they seem to be getting worse - to the point he bled all over the carpet and kitchen floor because one of them was so irritated yesterday! Poor boy :( I put him in the tub, warm water, soaked his paws and wrapped them, but he doesn't want me to go near them. Oh and he is on Fromm - Beef Frittata and Veg.

He also seems warmer than normal, which I know might seem nuts since dog's have a high core temperature, but his skin just feels hot to me.

I tried to get him to play tug of war with me today, but his heart wasn't in it. He's also started hiding under the guestroom bed (is that normal)?

He has a vet appointment next week, but do we take him to urgent care today instead? He is eating normally and drinking normally. I just don't want him to be miserable all weekend.

He is sleeping on his bed right now.

KIMG0129.JPGKIMG0130.jpgKIMG0131.jpgKIMG0132.jpg

Last edited:

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Hey check out this link and try Povidone-Iodine! and there is a video for it on the Bulldogs News, look for it in inter-digital cysts! I highly suggest the video!http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-karen-becker/dog-health_b_1651994.html ...The video is great, let me know if you cant find it or you tube it. I did it for Harley the other day and what a difference! Although they were not so bad, i could tell they bothered him. Let us know how things work out for your sweet boy.

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
He needs to see the vet asap... these can be caused by diffrent things so he might have some infections going on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think our boy is sick. He is sleeping more than usual and this morning when he pooped, he groaned a bit and it was less than normal. That happened yesterday, too. It was also a little harder than normal.

He has paw cysts, too (front paws, none on his back paws). Pictures below. We soak him in epsom salts, give him Apple Cider vinegar, too (everyday). The fosters told us his old vet said they'd go away. Well they seem to be getting worse - to the point he bled all over the carpet and kitchen floor because one of them was so irritated yesterday! Poor boy :( I put him in the tub, warm water, soaked his paws and wrapped them, but he doesn't want me to go near them. Oh and he is on Fromm - Beef Frittata and Veg.

He also seems warmer than normal, which I know might seem nuts since dog's have a high core temperature, but his skin just feels hot to me.

I tried to get him to play tug of war with me today, but his heart wasn't in it. He's also started hiding under the guestroom bed (is that normal)?

He has a vet appointment next week, but do we take him to urgent care today instead? He is eating normally and drinking normally. I just don't want him to be miserable all weekend.

He is sleeping on his bed right now.

View attachment 61479View attachment 61480View attachment 61481View attachment 61482

OUCH.... poor boy! The cyst are normally caused by an allergy, did you give some benedryl? Also, even thought the Beef Frittata is a great food, he could be allergic to something in it or maybe the grass? how does his face look?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
When is your vet appointment next week?

I'm not sure I'd take him to the vet now but rather keep at eye on him. Are you comfortable taking your bully's temperature? If so, it can be a great benefit to know (and it's not terribly hard!) Also check out his gums - are they pink? Is he eating? Drinking?

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
When is your vet appointment next week?

I'm not sure I'd take him to the vet now but rather keep at eye on him. Are you comfortable taking your bully's temperature? If so, it can be a great benefit to know (and it's not terribly hard!) Also check out his gums - are they pink? Is he eating? Drinking?

He is eating and drinking just fine and normally.

The appointment is on Tuesday.

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
OUCH.... poor boy! The cyst are normally caused by an allergy, did you give some benedryl? Also, even thought the Beef Frittata is a great food, he could be allergic to something in it or maybe the grass? how does his face look?

I haven't given him Benadryl. Since Walter is a rescue I am still educating myself on bullies. How much can we give him?

His face is the same as when we got him (which is fine, but his jaw area is pink) and he had the cysts already - He was on a different dog food (Iams lamb and rice, I think), so I don't think it's the Fromm. We live downtown, so there really isn't grass here.

Thanks again.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I haven't given him Benadryl. Since Walter is a rescue I am still educating myself on bullies. How much can we give him?

His face is the same as when we got him (which is fine, but his jaw area is pink) and he had the cysts already - He was on a different dog food (Iams lamb and rice, I think), so I don't think it's the Fromm. We live downtown, so there really isn't grass here.

Thanks again.

1 mg per pound of dog up two x a day. I give Banks 2 pills twice a day as needed. How long has he been with you and how long on the new food?

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hey check out this link and try Povidone-Iodine! and there is a video for it on the Bulldogs News, look for it in inter-digital cysts! I highly suggest the video!http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-karen-becker/dog-health_b_1651994.html ...The video is great, let me know if you cant find it or you tube it. I did it for Harley the other day and what a difference! Although they were not so bad, i could tell they bothered him. Let us know how things work out for your sweet boy.

Thank you! I am going to go the pharmacy right now to pick some up!

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
He needs to see the vet asap... these can be caused by diffrent things so he might have some infections going on.

They said not to worry, that because he is new for me that I am probably more apt to worry about every single thing. If he vomits or gets worse, bring him in. Otherwise, they said he can wait until Tuesday.

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
1 mg per pound of dog up two x a day. I give Banks 2 pills twice a day as needed. How long has he been with you and how long on the new food?

Thanks!

We rescued him in September from SDBR and put him on Fromm the third week of October. We mixed it with his old food and then by the beginning of November he was fully on Fromm.

OP
Heather Wilson

Heather Wilson

Nov 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Oh his gums are fine. Pink and not swollen or anything. No problems eating and drinking.

He's on his bed snoring right now :)

As for taking his temperature, I don't know how.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks!

We rescued him in September from SDBR and put him on Fromm the third week of October. We mixed it with his old food and then by the beginning of November he was fully on Fromm.

it can take a a few weeks to see the results of the new food REALLY kick in.... so I would not change anything as this all could still be from being on the crappy food

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Hi [MENTION=4883]Heather[/MENTION]Wilson was that an awesome article or what....Even if your boy goes on meds for his cysts, you can still do the soak for Maintenance. They come in contact with soo much outside...Do you Have a vet that specializes in Bulldogs? My vet is, and ya know what, his prices are a little less, it's all about the knowledge ! Good luck and I think it's great you worry about every little thing, when it comes to this breed, it's better to be safe. Your being a great Bully Mamma! Keep us updated, OK...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online