Help Needed! Hip Dysplasia operation... When to do it if needed?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Boeboe's got hip dysplasia:( she was diagnosed with it in May 2012, she was then 2 years old. She'd never shown any signs of hurting or limping previous to the time when she got diagnosed. The vet said it's not a bad case of hip dysplasia and he thought she'd be fine for now on supplements and that surgery wasn't necessary at this stage.

We live in South Africa and even though it's a warm climate it gets cold during the nights in winter. We have about three winter months and it's not always cold, the temperatures can go down to about 5 degrees Celsius (41 Fahrenheit) but when the sun gets up it quickly gets warmer. My point with this is that Boeboe gets a bit stiff and sometimes struggle to get up if she's cold. But once she's up she walks normally and runs around going crazy, not showing any signs of pain or limping. During winter months we have given her pain medicine if she's shown signs of hurting, it has happened maybe 4-5 times that she's needed it.

My husband booked her in for her Femoral head removal surgery on December 23 and I'm a MESS:*( I can't help but think it might be a mistake? I'd really like to get some thoughts and feedback on what you guys think. Is it worth it for her to have the surgery when she's not showing pain at all for most of the year? or does she just hide the pain well...

I'm feeling really lost, my husband says he thinks she needs the surgery and I agree that if she's going to have it she should probably have it done while she's still fairly young? Or doesn't it matter? It's hard for me while at the vet cos they speak Afrikaans and I'm not following it completely which leaves me with questions:(.

And to be honest I'm scared that something will happen to her, only writing this makes me cry. I can't explain why I feel so scared, she's had operations before on her eyes due to Entropion and she did really well. I don't know if I'm stressing cos of the things I read here or if I just don't think it's a good idea right now. I can't tell...

Please help me think about this more objective, my fear gets the best of me when it comes to this:ashamed:.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First of... big a$$ HUG.... breathe.... she is your baby and you ave right to worry whenever surgery is spoken of.

Banks has HD, very bad infact, she was diagnosed with it at around 8 months and at the time, our normal vet was on vacation and the vet that told us actually said the words, 'you will need to put her down at some point around 2 or 3 yrs old casue she will not be able to walk' -- well, Banks is now a very active 8 yr old - yes, she is in constant pain and is on daily meds to help her have a good quality of life. As you stated, when it is cold, she has issue and slowness in gettting up or moving around after sleeping, but she is fine after a few minutes. Our regular vet, Joe, has never, not once, mentioned having to do surgery for Banks, he told us as long as she is walking, running and able to activitly move around on her own there is no reason for it. If Joe were to say she needed it, we would do it in a heart beat, but he prefers to treat her via pain management.

There are other cases where the surgery is totally necessary regardless of age, I think you need to get a second opinion and really determine if now is the right time or is it necessary at all. I think [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] or @lexterwayne may have had hip replacement for one of thier babies and might be able to give more insight.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Petra,
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. Fortunately, so far, I have not. I just wanted to say-sometimes you need to go with your"gut" feeling. If you do not feel it is right-for now, maybe you should hold off. As you say, she does pretty well, most of the time. Couldn't this be done at a later time, if needed? Sometimes, deep down inside our feel can be right. Take a step back-calm down and really go with your "gut'. Of course, as with any surgery procedure, we are always "freaked" but why rush-as Christine said, Banks has HD very bad-and she is still "kickin" at 8, with meds. Personally, I think surgery would be last, if meds. no longer help. But, as I said, I am not experienced. Praying for you to make the right decision for you and your baby.:pray2:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would be a nervous wreck too, and I think you have every right to be unsure. It really depends on the severity, if it's pretty bad than I'm sure doing it while she is still young will be better, but if it's where she may not need the surgery at all, and she's doing well like you stated with some occasional pain meds, yes that seems unnecessary. Sounds like you've got some questions that need answers. Hugs to you :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]:) It's not the vet suggesting surgery at this stage, it's my husband:(. I went home to Sweden for a couple of weeks this summer (we have winter then) and he saw her struggle getting up in the nights when it's cold and I think he feels sorry for her:*(. I do too, it's not that I don't want to let her be pain free it's just the whole picture that doesn't feel right. I'm not only worried about the operation, I'm stressing about how she's going to be after... Our Joey has had the same operation and she's not as mobile as she was before. Her HD was bad though and she couldn't walk for longer distances, so her operation I feel was justified. Boeboe however runs like a cheetah and can out walk any of us.

During colder weather when I see her struggle to get up I just help her up and then after a few steps she walks fine again. She can be a little grumpy and growl at the other dogs if they come near her if she's in pain. That's how I know she needs her pain meds... If she's like that I give it to her and 30 min later she's good again.

She and her male bully friend Bennie can play for hours and she still don't show any pain if weather is warm and nice. I don't know... I think I'll just ask my husband to please reconsider... He will tell me he doesn't want her to be on pain meds as that will be bad for her. We give her Rimadyl and also tried Previcox. Last time the vet suggested Onsior, they say it should go easier on her liver.

Say she's getting pain meds for 1-2 days in a row 5 times a year.... that's less than 10 pills a year... how bad are those pills? anyone who knows or has had issues after long time use?

Appreciate any inputs:heart:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awww Petra, reading your 1st post had me in tears for YOUR tears.

I have no experience in this but I never disregard a mother's instinct and
Boeboe is your baby. Get 2nd opinions and see if Hubby will compromise on
waiting longer.

Like Christine, I'm sending you bid a$$ HUGS! Will pray for Boeboe & y'all :)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]:heart: I did talk to my husband about it and he will speak to the vet today. He says he will put the operation off if the vet thinks that's for the best too. He agreed to have x-rays made and looked at again before going ahead with the operation. If the cartilage is not damaged he says she wont need the operation.

My husband is very good at these things that has to do with joints and stuff, I'm not so clued up on how it works and what damage it can make further on... I think my husband wants it done cos he's scared her cartilage will get damaged and later the operation wont help... It's really so hard to know what to do:*(. Maybe I'm being stupid for only looking at how the situation is right now... I'm just glad they'll make another x-ray and go from there:)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you @Texas Carol:heart: I did talk to my husband about it and he will speak to the vet today. He says he will put the operation off if the vet thinks that's for the best too. He agreed to have x-rays made and looked at again before going ahead with the operation. If the cartilage is not damaged he says she wont need the operation.

My husband is very good at these things that has to do with joints and stuff, I'm not so clued up on how it works and what damage it can make further on... I think my husband wants it done cos he's scared her cartilage will get damaged and later the operation wont help... It's really so hard to know what to do:*(. Maybe I'm being stupid for only looking at how the situation is right now... I'm just glad they'll make another x-ray and go from there:)

Very good
:whew: Always good to gather more information, even if decision
is made for operation, you'll feel better having done 'due diligence'.

Keep us informed, Petra, we are here for you, we gotcha your back, always!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I'm so sorry about all this I know it's tough... We have been doing this w lex for maybe about a yr or a little over now, he will be 4 in feb.He was doing the same thing he couldn't walk very long distances and couldn't walk in a straight line. When he snapped at me cause I moved his back leg a certain way I knew something was wrong. Took him to the dr and found out he has hd and 2 torn acts 😱😰 we opted out of doing surgery for certain reasons: no hips to support his weight for acl tears, money, and he has a history of bone cancer in his blood line (drilling into bone can cause the bone cancer to flair up) right now he is on tramadol 3 times a day and vetprophen once daily for pain and inflammation. Last winter was awful I put a heating blanket on "his" couch and made one of those bean things that u can heat up, I did that at bed time. He was fine, stiff like u say but ok.

Now on to the last 3 months of his little life! I am going to school for vet tech and I started at a "big" clinic (for this area) 3 months ago. I work w amazing dr.'s!!! Our main dr is amazingly awesome at bone repairs! And the others are great at diagnosing symptoms and helping out w cases especially like mine.

Here's my point of this story..... A dr. Suggested us to try "laser therapy", It's amazing and I swear by this! It helps w pretty much any type of inflammation. He has had 3 treatments in 3 months and he is a totally different dog!! He runs more, JUMPS on the couch hasn't done that since he was 1! He lays like a frog now which he has never been able to do! Of course it depends on each animal some need laser therapy once a week, twice a week, etc. sometimes it works the first treatment sometimes the third. We actually use it on our bad backs, knees flare up of gout, etc and it's helped everyone in our office! Not sure if they have that option in Africa 😕 is the surgery they are talking about is to just go in and clean out the joint or a fho surgery?

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
O as he has lost 8 lbs and I know that has helped as well!!! So yes there are other options besides surgery

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Petra, I'm just NOW reading this… it makes me so very sad for you :( I know how much your babies mean to you, and I know what it's like to live in a strange country… I have no experience w/this, but I would get a second opinion and if she's able to manage her pain on meds then I would just do that. The laser surgery sounds like a great option, but I'm not sure if that is available to you. I'm so sorry you are going thru this, but you know that we will be here for you no matter what decision you make. It will be okay :hug2:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry about all this I know it's tough... We have been doing this w lex for maybe about a yr or a little over now, he will be 4 in feb.He was doing the same thing he couldn't walk very long distances and couldn't walk in a straight line. When he snapped at me cause I moved his back leg a certain way I knew something was wrong. Took him to the dr and found out he has hd and 2 torn acts  we opted out of doing surgery for certain reasons: no hips to support his weight for acl tears, money, and he has a history of bone cancer in his blood line (drilling into bone can cause the bone cancer to flair up) right now he is on tramadol 3 times a day and vetprophen once daily for pain and inflammation. Last winter was awful I put a heating blanket on "his" couch and made one of those bean things that u can heat up, I did that at bed time. He was fine, stiff like u say but ok.

Now on to the last 3 months of his little life! I am going to school for vet tech and I started at a "big" clinic (for this area) 3 months ago. I work w amazing dr.'s!!! Our main dr is amazingly awesome at bone repairs! And the others are great at diagnosing symptoms and helping out w cases especially like mine.

Here's my point of this story..... A dr. Suggested us to try "laser therapy", It's amazing and I swear by this! It helps w pretty much any type of inflammation. He has had 3 treatments in 3 months and he is a totally different dog!! He runs more, JUMPS on the couch hasn't done that since he was 1! He lays like a frog now which he has never been able to do! Of course it depends on each animal some need laser therapy once a week, twice a week, etc. sometimes it works the first treatment sometimes the third. We actually use it on our bad backs, knees flare up of gout, etc and it's helped everyone in our office! Not sure if they have that option in Africa  is the surgery they are talking about is to just go in and clean out the joint or a fho surgery?

Glad to hear laser therapy works for your Lex:) and thanks for all you info. I haven't heard of the laser here... and we live 160km away from our vet which is the best vet we could find. We used to live close to the vet by my husband got a different job and we had to move to a small town far away from any bigger city:( so I don't think laser will be an option for us cos of the distance even if it exists:unsure:, the fuel price and toll roads are killing us as it is:mellow:.

Actually it's not even the vet suggesting surgery... it's my husband. We had x-rays made about 18 months ago after Boeboe started walking a little funny at times. The vet said it's a little worse on her left side but he thought she'd do well on supplements in her food and occasional pain killer when she's hurting. When looking at her you'd never guess she has HD, shes very active. It's only between June - August during cold fronts she gets a bit grumpy and having troubles getting up after sleeping. I bet we could sort that out by getting a heater or electric blanket for her to keep her warm at night. The days are still warm during our winter cos it doesn't EVER rain, it's not even cloudy.

The reason my husband wants to do the operation is cos he's scared her cartilage will get damaged. The operation she'll have is the FHO, the same as our Joey had 2 yeas ago. I asked hubby to reconsider the operation cos I don't think it is right at this point, but she's booked for December 23 and he's sticking to it:(.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh Petra, I'm just NOW reading this… it makes me so very sad for you :( I know how much your babies mean to you, and I know what it's like to live in a strange country… I have no experience w/this, but I would get a second opinion and if she's able to manage her pain on meds then I would just do that. The laser surgery sounds like a great option, but I'm not sure if that is available to you. I'm so sorry you are going thru this, but you know that we will be here for you no matter what decision you make. It will be okay :hug2:

Thank you Tracey:hug::heart: the thing is Boeboe isn't even on any pain medicine regularly, I've given it to her I think maybe 5 times for the past 18 months... and I only give her one pill for one or possibly two days if it's needed. So to me it's madness having her go through this operation:(, she's perfectly fine for 9 months out of 12 and for the remaining 3 she's doing good most of the time as well. My husband is a great person, he's just a fan of surgeries. He'd do it to himself as well, what can't be fixed with chamomile tea, prep cream or disprin needs to be operated...:unsure:. I just don't know, maybe he's right, maybe for the future this will be for the best... but I'm just stressed and scared:*(. It doesn't make it any easier that I have to be home alone on the 23 - 24 just waiting to hear everything is ok, I just don't know how I'll make it:nope:. I can't go with cos I have to stay home with the rest of the kids.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Boeboe's got hip dysplasia:( she was diagnosed with it in May 2012, she was then 2 years old. She'd never shown any signs of hurting or limping previous to the time when she got diagnosed. The vet said it's not a bad case of hip dysplasia and he thought she'd be fine for now on supplements and that surgery wasn't necessary at this stage.

We live in South Africa and even though it's a warm climate it gets cold during the nights in winter. We have about three winter months and it's not always cold, the temperatures can go down to about 5 degrees Celsius (41 Fahrenheit) but when the sun gets up it quickly gets warmer. My point with this is that Boeboe gets a bit stiff and sometimes struggle to get up if she's cold. But once she's up she walks normally and runs around going crazy, not showing any signs of pain or limping. During winter months we have given her pain medicine if she's shown signs of hurting, it has happened maybe 4-5 times that she's needed it.

My husband booked her in for her Femoral head removal surgery on December 23 and I'm a MESS:*( I can't help but think it might be a mistake? I'd really like to get some thoughts and feedback on what you guys think. Is it worth it for her to have the surgery when she's not showing pain at all for most of the year? or does she just hide the pain well...

I'm feeling really lost, my husband says he thinks she needs the surgery and I agree that if she's going to have it she should probably have it done while she's still fairly young? Or doesn't it matter? It's hard for me while at the vet cos they speak Afrikaans and I'm not following it completely which leaves me with questions:(.

And to be honest I'm scared that something will happen to her, only writing this makes me cry. I can't explain why I feel so scared, she's had operations before on her eyes due to Entropion and she did really well. I don't know if I'm stressing cos of the things I read here or if I just don't think it's a good idea right now. I can't tell...

Please help me think about this more objective, my fear gets the best of me when it comes to this:ashamed:.

Petra, I'm really sorry to hear this. Blue was diagnosed with mild HD 3 months ago at 9 months old.

This is what I was told: 1. Keep him on the slim side. This is the best thing that can be done for pain management.
2. HD causes Arthritis, there's no way around . That's the reason she'll be stiff in the cold, or after she wakes up. Some exercise daily is a must for as long as possible. It will keep her from getting stiff, which in turns keeps her from hurting.
3. HD is a degenerative condition. It gets worse over time. HOWEVER, mild HD in most bullies can be managed by diet, exercise and anti-inflammatory meds. Once Arthritis sets in, there's no surgery that will get rid of it.
Just want you to know that even though you haven't mentioned Arthritis, that's what's causing the stiffness. Again, the surgery will NOT get rid of the arthritis.

Petra, I'm hoping you're getting a second opinion from an Orthopedic Surgeon. Don't go to a regular vet.

Also, according to OFFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) a not for profit organization, over 60% of bullies have some form of Hip Dysplasia. According to my Orthopedic Surgeon, the number is higher. Most just go undiagnosed because they don't show many symptoms. Just want you to know you're not alone.

:hug: to you and BoeBoe

Keep us updated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Petra, I'm really sorry to hear this. Blue was diagnosed with mild HD 3 months ago at 9 months old.

This is what I was told: 1. Keep him on the slim side. This is the best thing that can be done for pain management.
2. HD causes Arthritis, there's no way around . That's the reason she'll be stiff in the cold, or after she wakes up. Some exercise daily is a must for as long as possible. It will keep her from getting stiff, which in turns keeps her from hurting.
3. HD is a degenerative condition. It gets worse over time. HOWEVER, mild HD in most bullies can be managed by diet, exercise and anti-inflammatory meds. Once Arthritis sets in, there's no surgery that will get rid of it.
Just want you to know that even though you haven't mentioned Arthritis, that's what's causing the stiffness. Again, the surgery will NOT get rid of the arthritis.

Petra, I'm hoping you're getting a second opinion from an Orthopedic Surgeon. Don't go to a regular vet.

Also, according to OFFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) a not for profit organization, over 60% of bullies have some form of Hip Dysplasia. According to my Orthopedic Surgeon, the number is higher. Most just go undiagnosed because they don't show many symptoms. Just want you to know you're not alone.

:hug: to you and BoeBoe

Keep us updated.
I agree w/this 100%… Winston's regular vet was all set to do the entropion surgery, and when I went to the specialist she said that he didn't need it right NOW!!! Honestly I think some vets are just so prone to cut on bully's, and they don't understand how dangerous it can be for them.
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] … I'm sure that whatever you decide she will be fine!!! I'm sorry that you have to be alone while she is recovering, but you can always come on here… we will be here for you!!! :hug: Do you have an orthopedic surgeon close to you so that you could get a second opinion? I have to drive to Nashville to see ANY specialists for Winston so I can only imagine how it is in South Africa...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online