Help my 4mo old pupp hasn't eaten much or had much water today.

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
Hello, I am fairly new to this site. I have a 4 mo old English bulldog puppy. I have scheduled an appointment for him to see the vet tomorrow, but wanted some input as well. Beefy ate part of my wife's sandals yesterday and today he woke up and did not want to eat or have any water. I basically had to trick him into having water by giving him ice cubes and pouring water out of a sports bottle so he would come over and drink a little. I hope that it is just the sandal pieces that maybe upset his stomach. I did get him to eat 2 treats and a little bit of food with a hot dog, but he threw that up. He has been playing and running around for a few minutes and hen goes back to laying down and sleeping. Does anybody any suggestions? Thank you in advance and he will be seeing the vet tomorrow.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi there, welcome to the site. I've tagged someone who's bully had an obstruction previously.

If one of my bullies was acting like your pup, I'd go to the emergency clinic quick to get an x-ray. Refusing food and water is very odd, considering Beefy's only 4 months. I wouldn't want to wait till tomorrow.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok it sounds to me as if your puppy has an obstruction, since you know for sure that he ate part of the sandal. He definitely NEEDS to be seen by a vet, and have an x-ray done… and I would suggest keeping a close eye on him tonight. I will tag some members who have experience w/obstruction [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Good luck w/your puppy, I hope that he feels better soon!!!

OP

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
I do not know for sure if he ate part of the sandal, but there was scattered pieces on the floor so I am assuming he swallowed some small pieces. He didn't turn down the treat or hot dog with his food. He threw up about an hour or 2 after he ate and drank some water. I am looking online for a 24 hour pet clinic. I live in Temecula, ca does anybody know of a clinic or vet? Beefy's appointment is tomorrow at 8 am. Should I not be waiting til then?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
After googling, I found this clinic. Sorry, I didn't mean to alarm you. You can call the clinic and see what they say. Sometimes they'd tell you if you can wait till 8am tomorrow to see your vet, or if you should come in right away. It's just not normal for someone that young to refuse food. My guys always ask for something to eat all the time, and if they don't, that means there's something not right.

[h=2]Emergency Pet Clinic Of Temecula[/h]
Emergency Pet Clinic of Temecula
Address
27443 Jefferson Ave
Temecula, CA 92590Email
[email protected]
Phone
951-695-5044
Fax
951-695-3201
Business Hours

• Weeknights - 6pm to 8am
  • Weekends - From 6pm Friday to 8am Monday
  • Major Holidays - 24 hours

OP

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
Yes, he has pooped a few times since then and twice today. It has been solid at all times. He did have some carrots yesterday as well. Is there a possibility that gave him a belly ache?

OP

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
Thank you. I will call them right now. He did not turn down the treat or the pieces of hot dog. Just didn't want his food and usually eats it right away.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I tagged @Vikinggirl who's dwelt w/this multiple times~she has 2 bullies.

Is he showing signs of being uncomfortable? The problem is...IF it's an
obstruction that he can't pass, things can go very bad even deadly (sorry)
very quickly and many bullies die of this all the time. Monica is very experienced
and can offer more advice as what's best to do tonight.

OP

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
He isn't showing signs of being uncomfortable. He even jumped around a few times and played catch for a little bit. He was even excited to see the inlaws. He just did not want to eat his food today or even want water. He wasn't his normal self. has been sleeping most of the day and cuddling u next to my wife and I.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Okay, then he may have a tummy ache, keep a close eye on him and
keep us informed, prayers for the 'lil guy & y'all~GOD bless!

OP

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
Thank you, I will keep everyone informed. I called the pet clinic said to take him to the vet tomorrow and keep an eye on him tonight.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Will be thinking of you and Beefy tonight. Hoping that it's a simple tummy ache too.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I am just reading this thread now, and saw that Carol tagged me to help you with advice on swallowing objects and potential obstruction. My male Bulldozer is a habitual sock water, he has eaten 3 sweat socks in the last year, and also a dish cloth, so far he has been able to pass them. The first sock he ate, he threw it up, but the two others and the cloth he pooped them out. The signs of an obstruction usually start with vomiting, and or diarrhea, then continued diarrhea, and drooling water from the mouth, they will usually play, eat, and drink normally, at first, and then begin to get sick. The next symptoms are being lethargic, and quiet. The first time Dozer got sick, we didn't know he had eaten a sock, and we took him to the vet, she took x-rays which didn't show what he had eaten, but it did show a shadow in his intestines, and she could feel a mass in his tummy. An x-ray won't show material, but will show a mass, but a barium x-ray will show materials. The vet gave Dozer IV fluids, pain medication, and a laxative. We took him home with a high fibre food which we had to feed him a Tbsp once every 2 hours. That night he went outside tonhomto the bathroom, and he was able to pass the sock. The vet was very surprised, as she was pretty sure he would need surgery to remove it. Keep an eye on Meaty, take him to the vet, to make sure he is not dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea, and that he's not in any pain. The vet explained to us that Bullies don't show pain, but she could tell that he was in pain, and she said that whatever he was feeling, times that by 10, because bulldogs have a high pain threshold. Your vet will probably feel his tummy, and take an x-ray to start, to see if there is any mass in his stomach. Most of the time, they are able to pass the objects, but you want to make sure it's not causing any problems, or obstruction, a you will have to be a poop CSI agent, and watch Meaty's poops to make sure he does pass the pieces of sandal. I hope he is okay, and if he did swallow some pieces, I hope he is able to pass them without any problems. Please keep us posted on how he's doing, and what the vet said. Sending love, hugs, and prayers to you and Meaty.

OP

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
Well as the night has progressed beefy is up and running around and being active and waaaay past his bed time lol. I am glad he is up and running, but he is still going to the vet tomorrow and it seems like he might have his appetite back as he is roaming the floors for crumbs. I am hopping it was just an upset stomach, but we will find out tomorrow. I have checked his poops and they all look normal. Thank you all for you're help. I will keep you all updated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.