Renal failure

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
Our 14.5 year old pug was just diagnosed with stage Iii renal failure. This was a shock as we just took her in for her yearly and the only concern I had was she didn't want to eat that morning but she was eating that afternoon. She is had already been on zee land Tramadol for her back legs. Now she is on two nausea meds. One appetite supplement, and sub q fluids every other day. Since the visit on Wednesday she has refused food, but with the meds she is eating more. She needs to be on a low protein diet, but the dry food we bought she won't touch. We have canned ordered.

My question is this.... Has anyone experienced this? She is barely in the stage Iii category and the hope is with therapy to move her to stage II, but the life expectancy is not good. I'm heartbroken.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your baby. I don't have any experience with this, hopefully someone will be along soon who has.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm so very sorry. :(

If you search the story about a member, [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], and her bully, Abby, you'll get outstanding advice on nutrition and meds concerning renal failure.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sorry to hear what you are facing with you little Pug. I have had many dogs, in my life-all who have stayed with me until their passing-most of them as "senior citizens". As stated, you can read the recommended thread, but she has reached her senior years, and though it is so painful for us, you can only do the BEST you can for her, keep her pain free-give her the best quality of life she can have.At this age-(any age,actually)her QUALITY of life becomes most important. The day will come when she will let you know the right thing to do for her. We all will pray that she will have several more years. But, I always think of -if it were me, how I would want to live.?
I pray that she WILL improve, and have several more years-but give her lots of love and make sure she is comfortable for the REST of her life> We love them so.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry to see you all going through this... I have no experice but send love and prayers to you all.

I tagged two members that might be able to give some insight

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Awe, I too am of no help in the advise department. I just wanted to post my support as others have as well. I am so very sorry you and your family are going through this and will pray for all of you. Know you have a lot of shoulders to cry on here. God Bless.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry, but I think [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] is the the one to give you best advice on renal issues.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
No advice to give but sending my prayers to you and your fur baby.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.