badly broken nail

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Agnes smashed her nail today. I feel terrible that there doesn't seem to be much I can do for it. I trimmed it down as much as I could. I think I'm going to take her to the vet in the morning. Poor baby. 20131124_213147.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ouch!!!! Just clean it and watch it for a few days, it should be fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry this happened to Agnes, I hope she feels better soon. I found this information for you on treating a broken toe nail. I hope it helps.

How to Treat a Torn Dog Nail
APRIL 18, 2013 BY JET PERREAULT LEAVE A COMMENT

Dogs can tear or break their nails on numerous surfaces, including asphalt.

If you own a dog, it is quite likely that at some point in time your dog will tear, crack or break a nail.

Dogs are active creatures, and their nails can get caught on any loose material while they run and play. If a nail is caught, it can tear or break off completely. In some cases, the nail may crack rather than break.

The dew claws, the nails found higher up on the front of the foot, are most susceptible to tearing and breaking because they are more loosely attached than regular nails, putting them more at risk.

Another common cause of a cracked or broken nail is nail clipping. When a dogā€™s nails are being trimmed, it takes only a small jerk of his paw to cause a nail to break or chip, and if he yanks hard enough, he could tear a nail partially or rip it out completely.

Nails that are too long are more likely to snag and be torn, and long nails are also more likely to break or crack when a dog is walking or running on asphalt, concrete or a similar hard surfaces. In addition, some dogs are just born with weaker nails, making them more susceptible to damage.

Symptoms of a Damaged Nail

The following signs are all possible indications that your dog has injured a nail:

Favoring a paw by holding it in the air rather than walking on it
Limping or visibly not putting weight on a particular paw while walking
Blood on the floor of your dogā€™s bedding
Constant licking of a particular paw
A visibly swollen paw or toe
Resistance when you attempt to examine a paw or toe
If you are comfortable doing so, examine your dogā€™s paw if he exhibits any of the above symptoms. If his toe is sore and injured, he may not allow you to examine or touch his foot; if he resists your efforts, pack him up and take him to a vet. If your dog allows you to examine his paw, you might still consider a muzzle or at least a helper who can divert your dogā€™s attention, and his mouth, away from your hands as you examine him.

How to Treat a Torn Dog Nail

First, you need to remove the remaining piece of nail to prevent further injury and to allow for proper healing and regrowth of the nail. Use pet nail clippers to cut off the remaining nail just above the point where itā€™s broken or torn. This will make a clean cut in the nail that will increase the chances of the nail growing back properly.

Donā€™t Miss: Does PediPaws Work Well?
Stop the Bleeding

Removing the nail may cause your dogā€™s toe to bleed, especially if the breakage occurred at the quick of the nail. Make sure you have the pet emergency kit out: a styptic pencil or powder applied to the wound will stop the bleeding almost immediately, as it contains a cauterizing agent that seals the wound. If you donā€™t have a styptic pencil or powder, you can apply some regular flour or cornstarch to the wound and compress with a towel for a few minutes until the bleeding stops.

Clean the Wound

Once the nail is removed, you will need to clean and disinfect the toe to prevent infection. Bathe your dogā€™s paw in warm water, and be sure that all traces of dirt and debris are gone. Spray a pet antiseptic on your dogā€™s toe; it will disinfect the area, and will also relieve any discomfort from the open wound your dog may experience. If the wound bleeds again, apply pressure or use a styptic pencil or powder.

Dogs may to struggle to take bandages off their paws, so consider an E collar for their safety. By: Miles Goodhew

Bandage the Paw

Dogs donā€™t like having their paws bandaged, so this can be a tricky procedure. You can try wrapping the paw in a loose-fitting bandage, using first aid tape to hold in place. Another method is to place a clean sock on the paw and tape it into place. A sock often works better than a regular bandage because itā€™s less restrictive for the movement of the paw, which makes it more likely that your dog will not pull it off. If your dog pulls the bandage or sock off, you may want to place a plastic cone collar (E collar) around his neck for a few days until the wound heals.

Change the Bandage

Change the bandage or sock daily to assess the state of the healing process and to keep the area clean. Remove the bandage and bathe the dogā€™s paw in warm water. Check the paw for the following signs of infection:

Swelling of the toe
An oozing pus discharge
Bleeding that may or may not be mixed with pus
If you see signs of infection, take your dog to the vet immediately. The vet will most likely prescribe antibiotics to clear up the infection. If the wound is healing as it should, place a new bandage or sock on the paw. If your dog is wearing an E collar, after two or three days, the wound should be healed to a degree that your dog will not lick it and the E collar can be removed.

Treating a Broken Dew Claw on a Dog

Broken dew claw treatment varies slightly, as your vet may recommend removal of both of the dew claws completely if injury occurs to one. This is a common procedure performed on several different breeds of dogs; after healing, your dog will be able to run and walk just as before.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Ouch! Aubie did that a few months ago. We had blood spots all over the carpet when it happened! We just trimmed it down, wrapped it up, kept it clean, and put on some neosporin once or twice a day. It healed up nicely.

bubs0604

Sep 9, 2012
fairfield ca
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Armstrong
Poor baby!! The same thing happened to Armstrong last year, my boyfriend just cleaned it really well and bandaged it for a few days, the nail grew right back and he was just fine. If you feel more comfortable going to the vet you can but they will do the same thing you can do at home and its cheaper!! Just watch it, keep it clean and all should be well. Goodluck!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Jameson either breaks or pulls out one of his declaws once a year. It doesnt cause issues....just clean it up and watch it. No vet needed...sometimes i wrap it in gauze but that is mostly for entertainmet value. To watch him try and walk with the wrap is hysterical...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my that looks painful! Just keep it clean and try to make sure she doesn't try to clean it herself.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry, hopefully it will heal up soon!!! :yes:

OP
heavyblankets

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Thanks, everyone. Aggie is fine! I don't have a dog nail Clipper so i did end up taking her to the vet this morning. She needed the rest of her nails trimmed anyway. They cut the broken one almost all the way off and kept it from bleeding a lot. She's not acting like she's in pain at all so I feel much better!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's good, poor baby, looks like it bled alot! Happy she had the rest trimmed and will be all ok.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June broke 2 of her nails on her foot walking into the elevator. She stepped in the crack in the elevator door last month and yelped and it started bleeding a few minutes after that. We just cleaned it up, the 2 nails actually fell off after they healed. I took her to Petco yesterday to get her nails clipped and the girl said its pretty common and they'll grow back. She seemed fine after we cleaned it up, and never tried to mess with it either.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks, everyone. Aggie is fine! I don't have a dog nail Clipper so i did end up taking her to the vet this morning. She needed the rest of her nails trimmed anyway. They cut the broken one almost all the way off and kept it from bleeding a lot. She's not acting like she's in pain at all so I feel much better!

:whew: darn dew-claws are such a nucance glad he is OK

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.