prolapsed urethra surgery tomorrow...need reassurance

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Koozer is going in for surgery tomorrow to fix his prolapsed urethra. The vet is an excellent bully vet who I know will take good care of him. I am just freaking out about my baby boy going in for surgery. It's never an easy thing and I'm so scared about the worst that can happen. I think I just need some words of encouragement that everything is going to be fine:pray:

Plus, I would appreciate some advice, from those of you who have gone through this surgery with your boys, on how to handle the recovery. The vet said he wants to keep Koozer on tranquilizers (very low dose) for 10 days, just to help keep him calm during the recovery. Anyone with experience have any good recovery tips (no pun intended:))?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sounds like you have all your bases covered for a great outcome.
It's normal freaking out, the love we have for our bullies is deep.
Even these breeders going thru it more than we...worry.

Will keep all in prayer & sending comfort, strength & peace to you.
GOD bless & be with you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Praying for a routine surgery and hope your nerves make it through it , he's going to feel better and focus on that part of it. I've never had this happen but wanted to send prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs and prayers that all goes well. Surgery is always nerve-racking regardless of the reason....

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Just wanted to say that it sounds like you have a great surgeon and Koozer will be in very good hands! As far as recovery goes, no experience with the tranquilizers for 10 days but i know that type of surgery does require lots of rest and little movement afterwards so Koozer can heal well. Also putting him in his crate will be helpful so he can just stay calm and relaxed. We'll be thinking of him!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sending prayers & hugs your way… Koozer sounds like he will be in good hands!!! :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this, but I hope it all goes well for him and he has a quick recovery.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Koozer is going in for surgery tomorrow to fix his prolapsed urethra. The vet is an excellent bully vet who I know will take good care of him. I am just freaking out about my baby boy going in for surgery. It's never an easy thing and I'm so scared about the worst that can happen. I think I just need some words of encouragement that everything is going to be fine:pray:

Plus, I would appreciate some advice, from those of you who have gone through this surgery with your boys, on how to handle the recovery. The vet said he wants to keep Koozer on tranquilizers (very low dose) for 10 days, just to help keep him calm during the recovery. Anyone with experience have any good recovery tips (no pun intended:))?

Stinky just had it done 2 weeks ago, Plus he had his tail removed. And he did great. For his prolapsed urethra Dr Rajas pushed the tip of his penis back in and stitched it back up. We went to the vets yesterday to get his stitches out from his tail and go back Dec 18 for his penis and to have his second row of teeth pulled. Stinky is 11 months and did great. They even gave me a cone for his head so he wouldn't lick at the stitches. We didn't even have to use it. They didn't give him tranquilizers, only pain med and antibiotics. How old is Koozer? I Don't think I would like Stinky on tranquilizers for 10 days..but that's just me. I didn't let Stinky play or jump on/off the furniture for 5 days. I stayed home for 4 days to watch him. But like I said he did GREAT.There is another bully that had it done a few days ago..I believe his name is Sherman. Tomorrow I can finally give Stinky a bath.Good luck and keep us posted on him.Huggs from Stinky!!

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

Here's the update:
The vet discovered the prolapse wasn't as bad as initially thought. He did not have to have the end of the urethra cut. Instead, all the vet did, was basically fold the urethra back inside and stitch it to the penis wall (I think they call it a Pixie, or something like that). GREAT NEWS!!!!! However, last night, Koozer hardly slept at all...he was pacing, kept whining to go outside and go potty. The problem is that he couldn't pee. He would squat, and only little drips would come out. So first thing this morning, I called the vet. BAD NEWS!!!!!! They wanted him to come in because that was not normal for him to not pee. Basically, today, the vet had to remove the stitches because somehow, they blocked the urethra and Koozer couldn't pee. The vet said he was full (300 cc's removed!). So for now, Koozer is happy, and doing really well because he can actually pee. The bad news is that we will have to go get the surgery done again...possibly on Monday!

I am just so exhausted! This was supposed to be a simple, routine procedure, and it has been a nightmare. I can handle the no sleep and whatnot, but I feel so bad for my baby boy.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh no, [MENTION=5678]Gfitz911[/MENTION]! that's terrible! poor Koozer--not being able to pee last night sounds just awful. I'm so glad you took him in today to get that taken care of. My bully Finn has had a prolapsed urethra as well but he never had the surgery done. The vet was able to manipulate the urethra somehow (pushed it back inside), the last time it prolapsed which was in September, and he hasn't had a recurrence (fingers crossed). Is that not a possibility with Koozer? or does he absolutely have to have the surgery done?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Here's the update:
The vet discovered the prolapse wasn't as bad as initially thought. He did not have to have the end of the urethra cut. Instead, all the vet did, was basically fold the urethra back inside and stitch it to the penis wall (I think they call it a Pixie, or something like that). GREAT NEWS!!!!! However, last night, Koozer hardly slept at all...he was pacing, kept whining to go outside and go potty. The problem is that he couldn't pee. He would squat, and only little drips would come out. So first thing this morning, I called the vet. BAD NEWS!!!!!! They wanted him to come in because that was not normal for him to not pee. Basically, today, the vet had to remove the stitches because somehow, they blocked the urethra and Koozer couldn't pee. The vet said he was full (300 cc's removed!). So for now, Koozer is happy, and doing really well because he can actually pee. The bad news is that we will have to go get the surgery done again...possibly on Monday!

I am just so exhausted! This was supposed to be a simple, routine procedure, and it has been a nightmare. I can handle the no sleep and whatnot, but I feel so bad for my baby boy.

holy ouch! poor little guy..... keep us posted

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"

Here's the update:

Glad Koozer is doing better. The first night Stinky had troubles peeing too. It would be a stream then he would just drip ..drip..drip.Matter of fact he had to potty ever hour.The next day he was back to normal.Stinky and I will be praying for Koozer ...give him hugs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.