Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help...

Default Please help...

Happy hump day, everyone! This is my first visit to the forum and as you could guess, I'm looking for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

I have a 3 y/o female bully, named Apple (aka princess, aka apple pie aka queen b). She is no doubt the love of my wife and mine. About 3 months ago Apple and I were sitting on the couch and I stepped out to have a smoke. She stayed on the couch and when I came back in she was having a seziure . I had my neighbor drive us to the ER and at the time they did blood work and some other tests but, couldn't determine anything at the time. In short, they said to keep a eye on her.

Fast forward to Friday night (11/15/13). It happened again. This time my wife was able to video it on her phone. The episode lasted approximately 3 to 4 minutes but, there was a moment when she stopped and started back up again. The vet actually said it was a good thing there was a small break between the two.

We started her on phenobabotall (I'm 100% sure I spelled that wrong) On Monday. I know its only been a few days but, I would like a little reassurances from other bullies that have been prescribed this. I've noticed since thr last episode that Apple hasn't had a whole lot of energy, she's been drinking a whole lot, constantly looking for food in her bowl even after she has eaten. She also will get up and stop and stare into space, untill you grab her attention. Also the past 2 mornings she had had head tremors, which we were told is from low blood sugar. Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanls again. If I can I will post the video of her last episode.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please help...

I am so sorry as I can only imagine how frightening it's been
    and the worry & stress you & wife are feeling for Apple...she's
    your baby!

No experience here but there are some with the experience you
    need to help you. Just wanted to say, I'll hold all of you in prayer.
    Please keep us informed on her progress~GOD bless & cover y'all.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

I know @Libra926 has great knowledge about this.

Hope your baby is feeling better
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry you're going through this with Apple, it must be very scary and worrisome. I also don't have any experience with this, but hopefully someone with more experience will come along with some advice, or help. Just wanted to say you're in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything is okay with Apple and it's nothing too serious, and the vet can figure out what is causing the seizures. Could this be epilepsy, or if it's caused by low blood sugar, is this diabetes? Please keep us posted on how she is doing. She is probably drinking more due to the medication, as she medications can cause increased thirst. Just keep an eye on her, and keep a fresh supply of water, and as long as she is also peeing, then it should be okay, but I would probably double check with the vet and ask if this a side effect of Phenobarbital. I would also ask him what you can do for the low blood sugar, such as extra food, or a treat of some sort in between feedings so sugar stays constant?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Hey, guys. Thanks you for the thoughts and prayers. I did forget to mention they perscribed her Phenobarbital for epilepsy.

We actually rescued her from a bully rescue in my hometown and we stay in very close contact with the person in charge. She seems to think that the seizures are brought on by diabetes.

We will find out more when we go back in a few weeks for a check up on the meds.

Using Tapatalk

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry to hear about your scare, I will tag some members that are familiar w/seizures… @Libra926, @Lokismom
    Good Luck w/your baby and please keep us posted!!! Oh and to EBN!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hey there...will someone provide the link to Vegas's spotlight? I have so much to say, but I'm at work filling oxycontin for some rude jerk. I will respond when I get home.. @desertskybulldogs or anyone else can grab it off the special needs forum.

No @JeannieCO, this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Hey there...will someone provide the link to Vegas's spotlight? I have so much to say, but I'm at work filling oxycontin for some rude jerk. I will respond when I get home.. @desertskybulldogs or anyone else can grab it off the special needs forum.

No @JeannieCO, this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.
    Here it is: http://specialneedsbulldogs.com/cont...-TheVegasShow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have had diabetic dogs, and they never had a seizure. With low blood sugar-they get "rubbery legged" and would go unconscious, it not given something quickly, such as Kayro syrup, or even a sugar cookie-in a pinch. Phenobarb. is usually the first medication given for seizures. It could make her slow down, and not be so energetic, as it is a "downer". Hopefully the Pheno. will control her seizures.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

If you can get the video posted here.... Cheryl will be able to help with more info.

hugs and prayers heading to you and Apple
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BMccoy56 View Post
    Happy hump day, everyone! This is my first visit to the forum and as you could guess, I'm looking for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

I have a 3 y/o female bully, named Apple (aka princess, aka apple pie aka queen b). She is no doubt the love of my wife and mine. About 3 months ago Apple and I were sitting on the couch and I stepped out to have a smoke. She stayed on the couch and when I came back in she was having a seziure . I had my neighbor drive us to the ER and at the time they did blood work and some other tests but, couldn't determine anything at the time. In short, they said to keep a eye on her.

Fast forward to Friday night (11/15/13). It happened again. This time my wife was able to video it on her phone. The episode lasted approximately 3 to 4 minutes but, there was a moment when she stopped and started back up again. The vet actually said it was a good thing there was a small break between the two.

We started her on phenobabotall (I'm 100% sure I spelled that wrong) On Monday. I know its only been a few days but, I would like a little reassurances from other bullies that have been prescribed this. I've noticed since thr last episode that Apple hasn't had a whole lot of energy, she's been drinking a whole lot, constantly looking for food in her bowl even after she has eaten. She also will get up and stop and stare into space, untill you grab her attention. Also the past 2 mornings she had had head tremors, which we were told is from low blood sugar. Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanls again. If I can I will post the video of her last episode.

Please post the video....it is such a helpful tool. Please, when you get the chance....read thru my journal from the link provided. Pm me and we can talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVzh...e_gdata_player

So here is the link to my youtube page where you c as n find the video.

At this point Apple is on the bed. After thr video was ends I came upstairs and my wife and I got her to calm down. I knew she was going to start pooping and throwing up, also didn't want to take a chance of her falling off the bed, so I picked her up and set her on the floor. I set her on her tummy and her legs were tucked under her. I was petting her back and I could feel her starting to tense back up. She flopped onto her side and convulsed for about 2 or 3 seconds. She snapped to afterward and stood up and started throwing up. She had peed on the and threw up, no poop this time. Leading up to this she was running around upstairs. She was actually was being really loud. Loud enough I had to check on her cause there was a big bang. We have no idea what caused the sound, we think it was her stairs leading onto the bed. I'm having trouble remembering everything cause of the panic we were feeling. I would guess my wife took this video about 20 or 30 minutes after all of Apples running around.

Thank you for your help.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get the video onto the page.

Last edited by Libra926; 11-21-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added video
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads