Help Needed! Please help...

BMccoy56

Nov 20, 2013
Happy hump day, everyone! This is my first visit to the forum and as you could guess, I'm looking for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

I have a 3 y/o female bully, named Apple (aka princess, aka apple pie aka queen b). She is no doubt the love of my wife and mine. About 3 months ago Apple and I were sitting on the couch and I stepped out to have a smoke. She stayed on the couch and when I came back in she was having a seziure . I had my neighbor drive us to the ER and at the time they did blood work and some other tests but, couldn't determine anything at the time. In short, they said to keep a eye on her.

Fast forward to Friday night (11/15/13). It happened again. This time my wife was able to video it on her phone. The episode lasted approximately 3 to 4 minutes but, there was a moment when she stopped and started back up again. The vet actually said it was a good thing there was a small break between the two.

We started her on phenobabotall (I'm 100% sure I spelled that wrong) On Monday. I know its only been a few days but, I would like a little reassurances from other bullies that have been prescribed this. I've noticed since thr last episode that Apple hasn't had a whole lot of energy, she's been drinking a whole lot, constantly looking for food in her bowl even after she has eaten. She also will get up and stop and stare into space, untill you grab her attention. Also the past 2 mornings she had had head tremors, which we were told is from low blood sugar. Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanls again. If I can I will post the video of her last episode.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I am so sorry as I can only imagine how frightening it's been
and the worry & stress you & wife are feeling for Apple...she's
your baby!

No experience here but there are some with the experience you
need to help you. Just wanted to say, I'll hold all of you in prayer.
Please keep us informed on her progress~GOD bless & cover y'all.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you're going through this with Apple, it must be very scary and worrisome. I also don't have any experience with this, but hopefully someone with more experience will come along with some advice, or help. Just wanted to say you're in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything is okay with Apple and it's nothing too serious, and the vet can figure out what is causing the seizures. Could this be epilepsy, or if it's caused by low blood sugar, is this diabetes? Please keep us posted on how she is doing. She is probably drinking more due to the medication, as she medications can cause increased thirst. Just keep an eye on her, and keep a fresh supply of water, and as long as she is also peeing, then it should be okay, but I would probably double check with the vet and ask if this a side effect of Phenobarbital. I would also ask him what you can do for the low blood sugar, such as extra food, or a treat of some sort in between feedings so sugar stays constant?

OP
BMccoy56

BMccoy56

Nov 20, 2013
Hey, guys. Thanks you for the thoughts and prayers. I did forget to mention they perscribed her Phenobarbital for epilepsy.

We actually rescued her from a bully rescue in my hometown and we stay in very close contact with the person in charge. She seems to think that the seizures are brought on by diabetes.

We will find out more when we go back in a few weeks for a check up on the meds.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your scare, I will tag some members that are familiar w/seizures… [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], [MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION]
Good Luck w/your baby and please keep us posted!!! Oh and :welcome2: to EBN!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hey there...will someone provide the link to Vegas's spotlight? I have so much to say, but I'm at work filling oxycontin for some rude jerk. I will respond when I get home.. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] or anyone else can grab it off the special needs forum.

No [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey there...will someone provide the link to Vegas's spotlight? I have so much to say, but I'm at work filling oxycontin for some rude jerk. I will respond when I get home.. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] or anyone else can grab it off the special needs forum.

No [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.

Here it is: http://specialneedsbulldogs.com/content.php/16-Bulldog-spotlight-TheVegasShow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had diabetic dogs, and they never had a seizure. With low blood sugar-they get "rubbery legged" and would go unconscious, it not given something quickly, such as Kayro syrup, or even a sugar cookie-in a pinch. Phenobarb. is usually the first medication given for seizures. It could make her slow down, and not be so energetic, as it is a "downer". Hopefully the Pheno. will control her seizures.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you can get the video posted here.... Cheryl will be able to help with more info.

hugs and prayers heading to you and Apple

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Happy hump day, everyone! This is my first visit to the forum and as you could guess, I'm looking for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

I have a 3 y/o female bully, named Apple (aka princess, aka apple pie aka queen b). She is no doubt the love of my wife and mine. About 3 months ago Apple and I were sitting on the couch and I stepped out to have a smoke. She stayed on the couch and when I came back in she was having a seziure . I had my neighbor drive us to the ER and at the time they did blood work and some other tests but, couldn't determine anything at the time. In short, they said to keep a eye on her.

Fast forward to Friday night (11/15/13). It happened again. This time my wife was able to video it on her phone. The episode lasted approximately 3 to 4 minutes but, there was a moment when she stopped and started back up again. The vet actually said it was a good thing there was a small break between the two.

We started her on phenobabotall (I'm 100% sure I spelled that wrong) On Monday. I know its only been a few days but, I would like a little reassurances from other bullies that have been prescribed this. I've noticed since thr last episode that Apple hasn't had a whole lot of energy, she's been drinking a whole lot, constantly looking for food in her bowl even after she has eaten. She also will get up and stop and stare into space, untill you grab her attention. Also the past 2 mornings she had had head tremors, which we were told is from low blood sugar. Does any of this sound familiar?

Please post the video....it is such a helpful tool. Please, when you get the chance....read thru my journal from the link provided. Pm me and we can talk.

OP
BMccoy56

BMccoy56

Nov 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVzhu1k7mmY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So here is the link to my youtube page where you c as n find the video.

At this point Apple is on the bed. After thr video was ends I came upstairs and my wife and I got her to calm down. I knew she was going to start pooping and throwing up, also didn't want to take a chance of her falling off the bed, so I picked her up and set her on the floor. I set her on her tummy and her legs were tucked under her. I was petting her back and I could feel her starting to tense back up. She flopped onto her side and convulsed for about 2 or 3 seconds. She snapped to afterward and stood up and started throwing up. She had peed on the and threw up, no poop this time. Leading up to this she was running around upstairs. She was actually was being really loud. Loud enough I had to check on her cause there was a big bang. We have no idea what caused the sound, we think it was her stairs leading onto the bed. I'm having trouble remembering everything cause of the panic we were feeling. I would guess my wife took this video about 20 or 30 minutes after all of Apples running around.

Thank you for your help.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the video onto the page.

Last edited by a moderator:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel

Hi, my Ruthie has been through everything you described. I find with her head tremors giving her something crunchy, like a carrot helps her quicker than yogurt or anything else. Don't worry, the head tremors don't hurt them, just try to distract her with a treat. Ruthie is also epileptic and on phenol twice a day. She does great on the phenol and if she does have a seizure she never becomes unconscious anymore or loose her bowels, they never become grand mal. It's helped her so much to keep them under control. When she has a seizure I just make sure I hold her tight and keep her calm, say her name. After I take her potty and make sure she has water. I also try to keep her environment as calm as possible. We take steps to ensure nothing is too overwhelming for her to where she gets frustrated, that seems to bring on her seizures. If you have any other questions, i'll help you out anyway I can. There is also a special needs bulldog sister site to ebn. http://specialneedsbulldogs.com/

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I put the video in place for you....the little film strip next to the picture is where you apply the link. People with ipads cant view the video, so by putting the link like you did....ipad users can see it also.

I really think this was a petit mal seizure. Phenobarbital will cause sleepiness and thirst. It will also cause them to forage for food. It may take weeks for Apple to adjust to the drug and get use to how it makes her feel. Have you guys done an MRI yet? Did the dr suggest one?

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVzhu1k7mmY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So here is the link to my youtube page where you c as n find the video.

At this point Apple is on the bed. After thr video was ends I came upstairs and my wife and I got her to calm down. I knew she was going to start pooping and throwing up, also didn't want to take a chance of her falling off the bed, so I picked her up and set her on the floor. I set her on her tummy and her legs were tucked under her. I was petting her back and I could feel her starting to tense back up. She flopped onto her side and convulsed for about 2 or 3 seconds. She snapped to afterward and stood up and started throwing up. She had peed on the and threw up, no poop this time. Leading up to this she was running around upstairs. She was actually was being really loud. Loud enough I had to check on her cause there was a big bang. We have no idea what caused the sound, we think it was her stairs leading onto the bed. I'm having trouble remembering everything cause of the panic we were feeling. I would guess my wife took this video about 20 or 30 minutes after all of Apples running around.

Thank you for your help.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get the video onto the page.

It's very common for seizures to occur in clusters. I'm reading back to your first post....yes, it is very good that she stopped seizing for a brief time. If ever it lasts longer than a few minutes you need to get her to the ER immediately. Ask for rectal diazepam for cluster seizures. Also, I belong to a FB group called Bulldog With Seizures. We've started documenting seizures and it seems VERY common for seizures to happen around the time of the full moon. The last full moon was Sunday the 17th. Vegas had a grand mal seizure on Monday. Document the dates and times...just for record. I started using the blog feature here on EBN to document Vegas's seizures....then I started slacking. It was so easy to document everything here then when needed.....use my cell phone to recall the details during vet appointments. We got a new neurologist in January...and he wants me to email him after each occurrence.....so I started doing that and forgot to update EBN.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.