Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by BMccoy56 View Post
    Happy hump day, everyone! This is my first visit to the forum and as you could guess, I'm looking for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

I have a 3 y/o female bully, named Apple (aka princess, aka apple pie aka queen b). She is no doubt the love of my wife and mine. About 3 months ago Apple and I were sitting on the couch and I stepped out to have a smoke. She stayed on the couch and when I came back in she was having a seziure . I had my neighbor drive us to the ER and at the time they did blood work and some other tests but, couldn't determine anything at the time. In short, they said to keep a eye on her.

Fast forward to Friday night (11/15/13). It happened again. This time my wife was able to video it on her phone. The episode lasted approximately 3 to 4 minutes but, there was a moment when she stopped and started back up again. The vet actually said it was a good thing there was a small break between the two.

We started her on phenobabotall (I'm 100% sure I spelled that wrong) On Monday. I know its only been a few days but, I would like a little reassurances from other bullies that have been prescribed this. I've noticed since thr last episode that Apple hasn't had a whole lot of energy, she's been drinking a whole lot, constantly looking for food in her bowl even after she has eaten. She also will get up and stop and stare into space, untill you grab her attention. Also the past 2 mornings she had had head tremors, which we were told is from low blood sugar. Does any of this sound familiar?

Thanls again. If I can I will post the video of her last episode.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Hi, my Ruthie has been through everything you described. I find with her head tremors giving her something crunchy, like a carrot helps her quicker than yogurt or anything else. Don't worry, the head tremors don't hurt them, just try to distract her with a treat. Ruthie is also epileptic and on phenol twice a day. She does great on the phenol and if she does have a seizure she never becomes unconscious anymore or loose her bowels, they never become grand mal. It's helped her so much to keep them under control. When she has a seizure I just make sure I hold her tight and keep her calm, say her name. After I take her potty and make sure she has water. I also try to keep her environment as calm as possible. We take steps to ensure nothing is too overwhelming for her to where she gets frustrated, that seems to bring on her seizures. If you have any other questions, i'll help you out anyway I can. There is also a special needs bulldog sister site to ebn. [replacer_a]

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I put the video in place for you....the little film strip next to the picture is where you apply the link. People with ipads cant view the video, so by putting the link like you did....ipad users can see it also.

I really think this was a petit mal seizure. Phenobarbital will cause sleepiness and thirst. It will also cause them to forage for food. It may take weeks for Apple to adjust to the drug and get use to how it makes her feel. Have you guys done an MRI yet? Did the dr suggest one?

Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVzh...e_gdata_player

So here is the link to my youtube page where you c as n find the video.

At this point Apple is on the bed. After thr video was ends I came upstairs and my wife and I got her to calm down. I knew she was going to start pooping and throwing up, also didn't want to take a chance of her falling off the bed, so I picked her up and set her on the floor. I set her on her tummy and her legs were tucked under her. I was petting her back and I could feel her starting to tense back up. She flopped onto her side and convulsed for about 2 or 3 seconds. She snapped to afterward and stood up and started throwing up. She had peed on the and threw up, no poop this time. Leading up to this she was running around upstairs. She was actually was being really loud. Loud enough I had to check on her cause there was a big bang. We have no idea what caused the sound, we think it was her stairs leading onto the bed. I'm having trouble remembering everything cause of the panic we were feeling. I would guess my wife took this video about 20 or 30 minutes after all of Apples running around.

Thank you for your help.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get the video onto the page.

It's very common for seizures to occur in clusters. I'm reading back to your first post....yes, it is very good that she stopped seizing for a brief time. If ever it lasts longer than a few minutes you need to get her to the ER immediately. Ask for rectal diazepam for cluster seizures. Also, I belong to a FB group called Bulldog With Seizures. We've started documenting seizures and it seems VERY common for seizures to happen around the time of the full moon. The last full moon was Sunday the 17th. Vegas had a grand mal seizure on Monday. Document the dates and times...just for record. I started using the blog feature here on EBN to document Vegas's seizures....then I started slacking. It was so easy to document everything here then when needed.....use my cell phone to recall the details during vet appointments. We got a new neurologist in January...and he wants me to email him after each occurrence.....so I started doing that and forgot to update EBN.

Libra thank for your help. I will get a hold of the ER where I took Apple the first time to get the date and time of her first episode and start making a journal. I have to say she seems do to be doing much much much better these last two days. I did get a little worried about her on tuesday night. She was playing with her kong for about 45 min to an hour, trying desperately to get the last of the peanut butter out of the bottom. She usually never plays that long with that much energy, unless it's when we first get home and let her out of her kennel. Even then her high energy only last maybe 15 to 20 minutes. After she sucked her kong dry she paced back and forth from the back door to the front door. Thats what was worrying me. She never paces when she wants to go out. If she wants to go out she'll walk to the front door and then sprint to the front door. I think we (my wife and I) might be over looking things. We tend to be noticing a lot of things going on with her that might have already been part of her character. But what can you do when your worried parents.

I will be joining the FB page you mentioned. Thank you for bringing that up.

From watching your videos, I have to say that you have two beautiful bullies and Vegas is lucky to have a caring person like you and your husband in his life. Being connected with the bulldog rescue in St.Louis, I've seen the bad side of people and what they can do to these guys. You guys are awesome!!!!

Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I am very late to the conversation. Loki had 1 smaller seizure and one very bad one shortly there after he is on phenobarbital 64.8 mgs twice a day. After the dose was fully loaded into his system which took a couple of days we noticed the seizure activity had completely stopped no more pacing more more blank stares and no more standard seizure activity. The first week was awful he was so tired and so out of it that it broke my heart I spent many night crying with Loki because I felt so helpless. It does get easier her legs will become less wobbly as the days go by. The hardest thing ( I still find myself doing it) is hovering Loki was not aloud out of my sight for 2 weeks at any period of time even if Sean was home. I was so worried that it could have been prevented and maybe I missed something that I followed him every where which in the end only stressed me out more and made him feel uncomfortable too I feel. I can't watch the video that you posted since our ordeal was so traumatic to me. Our vet recommended as well as the members trying to keep them upright during the seizure to prevent them from choking on their saliva. Spacing the meals out over the course of a day or the toy that have treats may help with the sugar levels. Please keep us posted loki and I are praying for you all and apple.
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Libra thank for your help. I will get a hold of the ER where I took Apple the first time to get the date and time of her first episode and start making a journal. I have to say she seems do to be doing much much much better these last two days. I did get a little worried about her on tuesday night. She was playing with her kong for about 45 min to an hour, trying desperately to get the last of the peanut butter out of the bottom. She usually never plays that long with that much energy, unless it's when we first get home and let her out of her kennel. Even then her high energy only last maybe 15 to 20 minutes. After she sucked her kong dry she paced back and forth from the back door to the front door. Thats what was worrying me. She never paces when she wants to go out. If she wants to go out she'll walk to the front door and then sprint to the front door. I think we (my wife and I) might be over looking things. We tend to be noticing a lot of things going on with her that might have already been part of her character. But what can you do when your worried parents.

I will be joining the FB page you mentioned. Thank you for bringing that up.

From watching your videos, I have to say that you have two beautiful bullies and Vegas is lucky to have a caring person like you and your husband in his life. Being connected with the bulldog rescue in St.Louis, I've seen the bad side of people and what they can do to these guys. You guys are awesome!!!!

Pacing is so common when they have grand mal seizures. It's part of the what they call post ictal stage. In the products for English Bulldogs there is a post made by me with an everlasting fun ball. It is a green ball that you stuffed full of treats. Vegas uses that almost every night, & expecially after he has a grand mal seizures. He paces so much and the ball keeps him focused. The treat of choice for us is frozen green beans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads