Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Default Chum going to the vet!

I noticed these bald spots on sunday when I was walking chumley at night..there is a square like bald patch and a dozen or so small round spots throughout his back. Theyre not noticeable unless the sun shines on his back a certain way or a flashlight at night. He also has a little dandruff...I've been using alternately coconut oil, grizzly salmon oil and even Apple CV washes on is coat so I don't know why theyve developed. Do these look like allergies? Anybody have any ideas what it could be? Seeing the vet at 2 this afternoon. -2013-11-18-08-20-23-jpg-2013-11-18-18-05-01-jpg

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chum going to the vet!

Bella used to get like this, they would do a skin scrape and give her some antibiotics… The would test her for mange, but it always came back neg. I always believed it was allergy related, but at the time I didn't have EBN so I didn't realize that food was the issue. I always thought she was suffering from environmental allergies… Poor Chum, hope he feels better, let us know what happens at the vets today!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Me and Brutus are thinking about you buddy! Let us know how you make out at the vet.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Im hoping its not the food..I started off with Taste of The Wild when i got him and things were fine. They had a huge recall and I stopped using them and switched to Natural Balance. He was ok on that for over a year but I took him off in July when I was trying to figure out what was causing his head sores this past July..(which I always believed from day one were the result of a 3 yr rabies shot given to him by mistake when he had one last year. ) I switched his food to Fromm's beef fritatta....his gas and tear stains went away along with the head sores but I think the antibiotics and steroids had more to do with the sores clearing up. The Fromms caused excessive shedding and diarrhea and chin rashes. I then tried fromms pork and peas and then salmon tunalini with not much improvement...So hes back on Natural Balance for the past month. Im using all the suggestions here...ACV salmon oil, coconut oil...I really don't want to try another food change..especially since I don't know what to try next.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Timing wise it sounds like it's the food... Sorry

He's also probably blown his coat in the process to gear up fur his winter coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Timing wise it sounds like it's the food... Sorry

He's also probably blown his coat in the process to gear up fur his winter coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I went back to NB because he was on it for a year with no problems..or at least ones not as serious as shedding diarrhea and rashes..I just wonder why he'd be allergic now when he wasn't before?

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It's good you're taking him in. They do a skin scrape and it comes back negative then you'll know for sure it's allergies. Poor Chum, I hope the vet can help out.

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Highway
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Chumley

This looks and sounds like exactly what Gunny has! Here is my thread that I started at the beginning. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ed-some-advice

Take a read through that and you will see what all my vet has had me try. I am now to the point where I am switching his food and starting the coconut oil. I started this Monday. He has a follow up appointment today. I will let you know what the vet says.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, you've already been given great advice and suggestions, so just want to say I hope Chum is okay, and it's nothing serious. It's so frustrating to figure out what is causing allergy symptoms especially when it's food related. Hope the vet can offer some suggestions and/ or solutions. Keep us posted on what the vet said. Love, hugs and prayers for you and Chum.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Hope you get some answers for Chumley...he's such a cutie!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I went back to NB because he was on it for a year with no problems..or at least ones not as serious as shedding diarrhea and rashes..I just wonder why he'd be allergic now when he wasn't before?
    Believe it or not, most allergens to food develop after the age of 2. And they can also develop seasonal allergies as they get older as well.

Hugs to Chums.... Remember his reaction to those shots months ago? They could have also done some damage to his immune system permanently too. With these guys you just never know.

My vet told me each season they go through will depend on their reactions to the season, and wheather they have the anti bodies to fight the allergies or not. This is why most puppies with allergies are certainly having a reaction to food or household allergens, because they have not been through a season yet.

His coat looks like it is dry + coarse.... and see how the hairs are standing? The circles of dry spots could be ringworm, staph or just a dermitisis of the skin. Does his skin look "off" in color? Like "grey-ish"?

Also how long have you been mixing all the oils? Perhaps stick with just one oil at a time, there is really no benefit to mixing them all up, except yet another possible allergy to something.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, try NOT to treat this with antibiotics if you can. Using external meds and creams (panalog, douxo, malecetic, mediacted shampoo) on it and letting it run its coarse is the best option, unless he starts to become very itchy or it gets worse. I would have a skin scrape done just to rule out mange or ringworm.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    Chumley's immune system has two main functions--(1) to identify germs and parasites that may harm his body, and (2) to use toxic attacks to defend itself against what it believes is an attack by these organisms. An allergic reaction will not occur until after his body has become sensitized to what it believes is a foreign invader. That's why dogs (and people) can develop allergic reactions (an activation of the immune system) after being exposed to an allergen when they have never had a problem in the past with the same thing (like me with most pain medications--took them fine for years, now can't take them at all). We aren't born with allergies, we develop them as we are exposed to allergens and our bodies decide to wage all out war on the "dangerous" invaders. On one hand, you can be happy that his little immune system is working--but on the other hand, it is difficult to know how to avoid the trigger that causes the reaction. I hope you get a good report on your little Chum today!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads