Chum going to the vet!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I noticed these bald spots on sunday when I was walking chumley at night..there is a square like bald patch and a dozen or so small round spots throughout his back. Theyre not noticeable unless the sun shines on his back a certain way or a flashlight at night. He also has a little dandruff...I've been using alternately coconut oil, grizzly salmon oil and even Apple CV washes on is coat so I don't know why theyve developed. Do these look like allergies? Anybody have any ideas what it could be? Seeing the vet at 2 this afternoon. 2013-11-18 08.20.23.jpg2013-11-18 18.05.01.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella used to get like this, they would do a skin scrape and give her some antibiotics… The would test her for mange, but it always came back neg. I always believed it was allergy related, but at the time I didn't have EBN so I didn't realize that food was the issue. I always thought she was suffering from environmental allergies… Poor Chum, hope he feels better, let us know what happens at the vets today!!! ;)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Me and Brutus are thinking about you buddy! Let us know how you make out at the vet.

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Im hoping its not the food..I started off with Taste of The Wild when i got him and things were fine. They had a huge recall and I stopped using them and switched to Natural Balance. He was ok on that for over a year but I took him off in July when I was trying to figure out what was causing his head sores this past July..(which I always believed from day one were the result of a 3 yr rabies shot given to him by mistake when he had one last year. ) I switched his food to Fromm's beef fritatta....his gas and tear stains went away along with the head sores but I think the antibiotics and steroids had more to do with the sores clearing up. The Fromms caused excessive shedding and diarrhea and chin rashes. I then tried fromms pork and peas and then salmon tunalini with not much improvement...So hes back on Natural Balance for the past month. Im using all the suggestions here...ACV salmon oil, coconut oil...I really don't want to try another food change..especially since I don't know what to try next.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Timing wise it sounds like it's the food... Sorry :(

He's also probably blown his coat in the process to gear up fur his winter coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Opie CHL

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Timing wise it sounds like it's the food... Sorry :(

He's also probably blown his coat in the process to gear up fur his winter coat.

I went back to NB because he was on it for a year with no problems..or at least ones not as serious as shedding diarrhea and rashes..I just wonder why he'd be allergic now when he wasn't before?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's good you're taking him in. They do a skin scrape and it comes back negative then you'll know for sure it's allergies. Poor Chum, I hope the vet can help out.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION]

This looks and sounds like exactly what Gunny has! Here is my thread that I started at the beginning. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?31299-Alergies-Need-some-advice

Take a read through that and you will see what all my vet has had me try. I am now to the point where I am switching his food and starting the coconut oil. I started this Monday. He has a follow up appointment today. I will let you know what the vet says.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've already been given great advice and suggestions, so just want to say I hope Chum is okay, and it's nothing serious. It's so frustrating to figure out what is causing allergy symptoms especially when it's food related. Hope the vet can offer some suggestions and/ or solutions. Keep us posted on what the vet said. Love, hugs and prayers for you and Chum.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Hope you get some answers for Chumley...he's such a cutie!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I went back to NB because he was on it for a year with no problems..or at least ones not as serious as shedding diarrhea and rashes..I just wonder why he'd be allergic now when he wasn't before?

Believe it or not, most allergens to food develop after the age of 2. And they can also develop seasonal allergies as they get older as well.

Hugs to Chums.... Remember his reaction to those shots months ago? They could have also done some damage to his immune system permanently too. With these guys you just never know.

My vet told me each season they go through will depend on their reactions to the season, and wheather they have the anti bodies to fight the allergies or not. This is why most puppies with allergies are certainly having a reaction to food or household allergens, because they have not been through a season yet.

His coat looks like it is dry + coarse.... and see how the hairs are standing? The circles of dry spots could be ringworm, staph or just a dermitisis of the skin. Does his skin look "off" in color? Like "grey-ish"?

Also how long have you been mixing all the oils? Perhaps stick with just one oil at a time, there is really no benefit to mixing them all up, except yet another possible allergy to something.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, try NOT to treat this with antibiotics if you can. Using external meds and creams (panalog, douxo, malecetic, mediacted shampoo) on it and letting it run its coarse is the best option, unless he starts to become very itchy or it gets worse. I would have a skin scrape done just to rule out mange or ringworm.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

Chumley's immune system has two main functions--(1) to identify germs and parasites that may harm his body, and (2) to use toxic attacks to defend itself against what it believes is an attack by these organisms. An allergic reaction will not occur until after his body has become sensitized to what it believes is a foreign invader. That's why dogs (and people) can develop allergic reactions (an activation of the immune system) after being exposed to an allergen when they have never had a problem in the past with the same thing (like me with most pain medications--took them fine for years, now can't take them at all). We aren't born with allergies, we develop them as we are exposed to allergens and our bodies decide to wage all out war on the "dangerous" invaders. On one hand, you can be happy that his little immune system is working--but on the other hand, it is difficult to know how to avoid the trigger that causes the reaction. I hope you get a good report on your little Chum today!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my, I am sad you & Chum are going thru this, ugggh...so frustrating too!

Great advice from all, especially cutting back from all the oils, let his system rest
from them and 3 months in, maybe add ONE back in at a time to determine any
reactions and from which one. Try a new oil/good fat in adding a couple slices of
avocado as a kibble topping, it's amazing for skin and coat.

Food, I've got Cami on TOTW's Buffalo & Venison (2 of the least processed meats).
They've cleaned up their act tremendously so might think about it again.

I too, think Chumley's immune system suffered from the rabies shot, it may be in
overdrive (what happened to me, I take an immune suppressant). As time passes,
hopefully it will calm down. Is he approved for NO MORE RABIES SHOTS since his
reaction was so severe?

Will be praying he gets a dx, no antibiotics & recovers asap...love Chumley & Y'all!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Tis the season for allergies in these babies. We just went through something similar with Otis and it is Folliculitis. Good luck, let us know. P.S. not sure if you have already but I would strongly consider an allergy test. When Otis was tested I was so surprised that he was allergic to beef, rice, wheat, soy and peanut butter.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley's immune system has two main functions--(1) to identify germs and parasites that may harm his body, and (2) to use toxic attacks to defend itself against what it believes is an attack by these organisms. An allergic reaction will not occur until after his body has become sensitized to what it believes is a foreign invader. That's why dogs (and people) can develop allergic reactions (an activation of the immune system) after being exposed to an allergen when they have never had a problem in the past with the same thing (like me with most pain medications--took them fine for years, now can't take them at all). We aren't born with allergies, we develop them as we are exposed to allergens and our bodies decide to wage all out war on the "dangerous" invaders. On one hand, you can be happy that his little immune system is working--but on the other hand, it is difficult to know how to avoid the trigger that causes the reaction. I hope you get a good report on your little Chum today!

Excellent explanation [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online