Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chum going to the vet!

Oh my, I am sad you & Chum are going thru this, ugggh...so frustrating too!

Great advice from all, especially cutting back from all the oils, let his system rest
    from them and 3 months in, maybe add ONE back in at a time to determine any
    reactions and from which one. Try a new oil/good fat in adding a couple slices of
    avocado as a kibble topping, it's amazing for skin and coat.

Food, I've got Cami on TOTW's Buffalo & Venison (2 of the least processed meats).
    They've cleaned up their act tremendously so might think about it again.

I too, think Chumley's immune system suffered from the rabies shot, it may be in
    overdrive (what happened to me, I take an immune suppressant). As time passes,
    hopefully it will calm down. Is he approved for NO MORE RABIES SHOTS since his
    reaction was so severe?

Will be praying he gets a dx, no antibiotics & recovers asap...love Chumley & Y'all!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Tis the season for allergies in these babies. We just went through something similar with Otis and it is Folliculitis. Good luck, let us know. P.S. not sure if you have already but I would strongly consider an allergy test. When Otis was tested I was so surprised that he was allergic to beef, rice, wheat, soy and peanut butter.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    Chumley's immune system has two main functions--(1) to identify germs and parasites that may harm his body, and (2) to use toxic attacks to defend itself against what it believes is an attack by these organisms. An allergic reaction will not occur until after his body has become sensitized to what it believes is a foreign invader. That's why dogs (and people) can develop allergic reactions (an activation of the immune system) after being exposed to an allergen when they have never had a problem in the past with the same thing (like me with most pain medications--took them fine for years, now can't take them at all). We aren't born with allergies, we develop them as we are exposed to allergens and our bodies decide to wage all out war on the "dangerous" invaders. On one hand, you can be happy that his little immune system is working--but on the other hand, it is difficult to know how to avoid the trigger that causes the reaction. I hope you get a good report on your little Chum today!

Excellent explanation @ChrisRN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Lisa and Chris.... allergies can pop up at anytime and go way too.

Please keep us posted.... if Chum is not on any steriods, thnk about doing the full bllod allergy test - not 100% but really gives a good base line on what to avoid
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Believe it or not, most allergens to food develop after the age of 2. And they can also develop seasonal allergies as they get older as well.

Hugs to Chums.... Remember his reaction to those shots months ago? They could have also done some damage to his immune system permanently too. With these guys you just never know.

My vet told me each season they go through will depend on their reactions to the season, and wheather they have the anti bodies to fight the allergies or not. This is why most puppies with allergies are certainly having a reaction to food or household allergens, because they have not been through a season yet.

His coat looks like it is dry + coarse.... and see how the hairs are standing? The circles of dry spots could be ringworm, staph or just a dermitisis of the skin. Does his skin look "off" in color? Like "grey-ish"?

Also how long have you been mixing all the oils? Perhaps stick with just one oil at a time, there is really no benefit to mixing them all up, except yet another possible allergy to something.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, try NOT to treat this with antibiotics if you can. Using external meds and creams (panalog, douxo, malecetic, mediacted shampoo) on it and letting it run its coarse is the best option, unless he starts to become very itchy or it gets worse. I would have a skin scrape done just to rule out mange or ringworm.
    You know I forgot to mention that Bella had a bought of ringworm that took FOREVER to get rid off… we kinda determined the cat was the carrier (of course… LOL). Thanks Lisa for bringing this up, I had totally forgotten about that…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I agree with Lisa and Chris.... allergies can pop up at anytime and go way too.

Please keep us posted.... if Chum is not on any steriods, thnk about doing the full bllod allergy test - not 100% but really gives a good base line on what to avoid
    I'd really like to do a full allergy test on Mabel to get an idea of what to avoid in this little girl.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I'd really like to do a full allergy test on Mabel to get an idea of what to avoid in this little girl.
    love Mabel's avatar pic, looks so peaceful and happy knowing she's HOME.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I do hope all goes well at the vets today and nothing serious is wrong, give hugs to Chumley for Ftse and me.

I noticed Ftse has a two bald spots just about 2mm sq but when we got home he had a few lumps from him and hooch play biting each other and the lumps have gone but the hair with it and I was not too concerened until I read your post as Ftse has a little bit of dandruff too and never had that before but Richard changed his shampoo and since then I have noticed it not much at all just a very little I will have to watch this more closely now.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It really is worth it... we would have never knew back on 2006 to take Nitschke off the rice without the test, heck we were feeding bland diet while trying to figure out why he was throwing up. I think I cried for a few days (on/off) knowing we were giving him what was making him sick. Anyway, all the info here on EBN was not around back then and I was VERY green with canine nutrition. But, with my next Bulldog, it will be a definite test I do once the are 2 yrs old.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everybody for the advice. The vets first question was whether I recently gave him his flea/tick medication but I do that on the 1st of the month. He doesn't want to treat with antibiotics yet as it looks like it's just beginning and recommends an antibacterial shampoo bath twice a week for a while. I'm glad I brought the pictures on my ipad because they're really not noticeable in natural lighting. He doesn't believe they're allergies because he doesn't scratch at it. The skin is not red or inflamed. I told him he scratches in the morning for a few minutes and rolls around on his back but doesn't really do anything else all day long. He believes it's a skin infection. I will definitely get him a blood allergy test in the very near future because I'm not convinced it's not an allergic reaction. He advised if no improvement or worse in 5 days he'll do the skin scrape and antibiotic route. He also gave me (for $30 he "gave" me) something called allerderm spot on. So I guess well start with the antibacterial shampoo and take it from there. Thanks again everybody for your comments..I love EBN!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We will be hoping for the best and I hope the shampoo helps.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Believe it or not, most allergens to food develop after the age of 2. And they can also develop seasonal allergies as they get older as well.

Hugs to Chums.... Remember his reaction to those shots months ago? They could have also done some damage to his immune system permanently too. With these guys you just never know.

My vet told me each season they go through will depend on their reactions to the season, and wheather they have the anti bodies to fight the allergies or not. This is why most puppies with allergies are certainly having a reaction to food or household allergens, because they have not been through a season yet.

His coat looks like it is dry + coarse.... and see how the hairs are standing? The circles of dry spots could be ringworm, staph or just a dermitisis of the skin. Does his skin look "off" in color? Like "grey-ish"?

Also how long have you been mixing all the oils? Perhaps stick with just one oil at a time, there is really no benefit to mixing them all up, except yet another possible allergy to something.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, try NOT to treat this with antibiotics if you can. Using external meds and creams (panalog, douxo, malecetic, mediacted shampoo) on it and letting it run its coarse is the best option, unless he starts to become very itchy or it gets worse. I would have a skin scrape done just to rule out mange or ringworm.
    Just a question, Brutus looks like his skin is greyish in his tummy area. It has always looked like this. We thought It was just his coloring. Does it actually mean something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads