poop question

hulahoop

Jun 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Clyde
Hi all,

sorry in advance as I have a pretty gross question, but I figured I'd take it directly to the experts.

My baby Clyde is 8 months old, and he's been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy formula pretty much since we got him. He's always done well with this food. Lately, hes had so much energy that he's getting walked a lot more, and it seems like the more he walks, the more he has to poop (which makes sense). However, he'll wake up in the morning, have a perfectly normal (large) firm poop, and then anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour later after walking a bit stop and poop again. Sometimes this happens twice. After his initial poop its progressively wetter/watery - to the point that the last bits are straight diarrhea. At first I thought this was a side-effect of his eating leaves/twigs/other crap he shouldn't (I've taken to watching him like a hawk on walks now to make sure he doesn't anymore), but now I'm starting to think its something else. He doesn't seem bothered by it, and he's got a pretty tough stomach (which we've discovered after hes puked up terrible things we didn't know he'd eaten and then going on about his merry way), so I don't think its a blockage/serious issue. But its been going on for a while (some days it doesn't happen).

Am I feeding him too much? He gets 1.5 cups in the morning and again at night. I do give him small treats throughout the day (we're working on all kinds of training), but they are Zuke's and were supposedly all natural. Someone else mentioned that puppy food is very high protein - is it time to start switching him to adult food? I'd ideally like to have him back to his twice a day, firm poops before christmas, as he will be staying with my friend and we all know how hard it is to clean runny poops out of grass.

Thanks in advance!

Vanize Andrade

Sep 1, 2011
Florida
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper, Mooney, Lear Panda and Pitts
Hello!
Something very similar happens with Mooney. Every time he gets too excited.. for example, going to the park, or long trips in the car.. his poop gets soft/watery.
It doesn't happen on our short daily walks.. I live in South Florida, and since the temperature is always hot, I prefer to walk him super early morning or after 09 pm. At this time, we don't see many other dogs walking.. so he doesn't get excited.
I'm curious to see what more experience people have to say on this one ;)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am not sure about the others here but Amber and Ruby only get 1 cup of food in the morning and 1 cup at night. Any more and they would both have runny stools. Now, both of my bullies are somewhat large; Amber is between 53 and 56 pounds and Ruby is 46 pounds at 10 months old so I know they are both getting enough food. Backing off the food for a little bit and putting some pumkin in to firm up their stools would be my recommendation to try first. I would also recommend not giving any snacks until the diarrhea was under control; ice cubes for snacks is a good treat. Good luck!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well now that he is 8 months old, you can change him to adult food. The walk in the morning, is it after he eats? if so that might be causing it. Mine will do that sometimes, and it doesn't hurt anything, but they usually go only once or twice. Try not walking him after he eats or maybe just skip the walk for a day or two and see it that helps.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had Winston on Blue Buffalo, and at first he did fine then he started getting horrid gas & diarrhea. I ended up switching him to Fromm, and it cleared up right away.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley did the exact same thing this summer on long walks...a short walk and everything came out fine..la long one and the second poop was watery..I never knew what it was and he's otherwise fine. I think I'm the only one on EBN who hasn't had success with Fromms..it causes the exact problems other people say it cures for Chumley...diarrhea extra shedding and itching. Still searching for the right food.

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
We just went through the exact thing. Definitely over feeding. We went to 1 cup am and 1 cup pm and no more excess pooping or diarrhea! They get 2 little treats during the day and the occasional bullystick. Just try cutting back on the food. We feed ours natural balance sweet potato and venison.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.