Redness on belly

dodgetail

Nov 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dodge
So Dodge had this redness on his belly for three days now. I will try to get a picture and post here, I just don't have one available right now. He doesn't seemed to be bothered, just on the first day we noticed we see him scratch it a bit for two times, getting more red on the second day morning but lessen in the afternoon, just as little improvement this morning. Could be allergies or just because of the grass where he loves to hang out a lot now. The benadryl is ready if needed.
Also, another question we just confirmed my sister's family and her toddlers will be here starting at the end of the November until January. They are 5, 3 and the youngest is almost one and Dodge is not much socialized yet with little children so we are thinking of getting a pet gate on this around 5 feet wide hall. So far this site seemed have good list: http://www.petstreetmall.com/Pet-Gates.aspx
but what do you guys recommend? Sorry for loads of question, any tips would be appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey there! reddness on the belly could be irratation from the grass... happens to my girl all the time, but if you can get a picture up it would be good to confirm that is all the issue is.

Benedryl 1mg per pound of pup up to 3x a day will help with the itching.

Gate --- we use babygates all the time, have three in the house for when they need to be blocked off but not out of site.

What you can do, is keep him behind the gate until he gets all the new scents and then leash him and allow him to smell everyone while you can control him. Once he has a scent and all is settled, you can remove his leash, if it is too much for him then leave behind the gate or leashed whichever you are more comfortable with. Also, weather permitting let the visitors take him for short walks .

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We also have gates in the house. We use the metal pressure attach ones and our largest opening is like 56" and they work great.

If the redness is caused by the grass you can rub some coconut oil on his belly and it will help relieve the itching and redness.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

OP
dodgetail

dodgetail

Nov 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dodge
Thank you for the replies and tips guys, we will try that coconut oil first for the allergies seemed lessen now. My sister just explained that Kelly, my 3 year old niece had some allergies and on medication so Dodge cannot be around close to her yet but I heard all of them love animals, they have hamster at home. I'm sure they will have good time having out with Dodge and we are all excited.

k1ngEr0s

Nov 23, 2013
North Carolina
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel Bon Robbins (Diesel)
It may also be the shampoo... This happened with diez and the vet gave us special shampoo... After one bath it was pretty much gone. We actually used a oatmeal shampoo for sensitive skin and didn't think that was the problem. They told me witch hazel should help too. The shampoo is vedco chlorhex 2x 4%. Plus make sure you're not feeding grains or starches because that will contribute.

Alpha1

Nov 18, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zik
I am having the same problem with zik and for his its the shampoo. But at least it's not getting worse.

Most Reactions