Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not drinking water

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)

Default Not drinking water

Should I be concerned. My Howie started eating homemade dog food fir the past 2 weeks. I have been noticing that he hasn't been drinking water as much. He has gone days nit drinking. I had tried the ice cube trick but he got smart. The homemade food he has been eating has been mushy. Is thus normal?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not drinking water

I think she should be fine. My boys only drink in the evening just once if they don't play. They eat raw and it's very normal. I can imagine that home cooking is the same.

To entice Susie, put a little broth in her water. That usually does the trick for my boys.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 11-18-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: darn auto correct!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I'm not sure if this is normal for all bullies that are fed home cooked or not, but I often feel that my two guys don't always drink enough water, so I have always added some warm water, about 1/2 cup to their kibble. It makes a kind of gravy in their kibble, and also makes it softer to eat. They really like it, and I feel better because they are getting a little extra water each day.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 11-18-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Baxter Tiberius

Yep just add water to the food. You can't really give them too much, but keep in mind, wet food has lots of water.

I still think they should have more though. Think about how much we would drink if we were never told its beneficial to our bodies?

I swear I might have a glass of liquid per day some days if I didn't know better. So thats probably what they're doing. Bare minimum. More is always better.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, folks, for the wonderful advices. I guess I am so use to have him drinking water constantly when he was eating kibbles. But now I have to trick him into drinking water. He didn't touch his water bowl all day yesterday. He's still active and has normal BM and pee.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is or all for bullies that are fed home cooked or not, but I often feel that my two guys don't always drink enough water, so I have always added some warm water, about 1/2 cup to their kibble. It makes a kind of gravy in their kibble, and also makes it softer to eat. They really like it, and I feel better because they are getting a little extra water each day.

The other good thing about adding water to the kibble is that it will already be expanded when they eat it so there will be less expansion in their tummys.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Winston LOVES ice cubes, so I was going to say add that to the water… but he's too smart for that!!! LOL As long as he's acting normal, I wouldn't worry about it...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Thank you, folks, for the wonderful advices. I guess I am so use to have him drinking water constantly when he was eating kibbles. But now I have to trick him into drinking water. He didn't touch his water bowl all day yesterday. He's still active and has normal BM and pee.
    Kibble has salt in most brands (not so much the good ones) so if you add a bit if salt to the homecooked, not much, it may make him more thirsty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)

Instead of salt, can I use basil? will that work?

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

The cool thing about home-made diet is you are in complete control of your dog's nutritional intake. So... water. Kibble is dehydrated. You can see the percentage of moisture in the back of the bag. Usually it's at a maximum of 10%. Raw food is about 50% moisture, so 5 times more than kibble. Home-made food would depend on how much water is absorbed/evaporated in the cooking process.

In any case, if your dog is cooperative, one of the easiest ways to determine if your dog needs water is by inspecting his gums. If the dog's gums are dry, it's not a good sign. Also, if you push your finger on his gums, it would leave a pale mark (blood is pushed out of that area) but when you release your finger, the red color should come back immediately. If it takes more than 2 seconds for it to come back, it's not a good sign. You can also see it with the eyes. If his eyes look sunken, it's not a good sign.

Hope this helps.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

agree with all theothers.... when feeding raw or homemade foods... they ten to drink less
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    The cool thing about home-made diet is you are in complete control of your dog's nutritional intake. So... water. Kibble is dehydrated. You can see the percentage of moisture in the back of the bag. Usually it's at a maximum of 10%. Raw food is about 50% moisture, so 5 times more than kibble. Home-made food would depend on how much water is absorbed/evaporated in the cooking process.

In any case, if your dog is cooperative, one of the easiest ways to determine if your dog needs water is by inspecting his gums. If the dog's gums are dry, it's not a good sign. Also, if you push your finger on his gums, it would leave a pale mark (blood is pushed out of that area) but when you release your finger, the red color should come back immediately. If it takes more than 2 seconds for it to come back, it's not a good sign. You can also see it with the eyes. If his eyes look sunken, it's not a good sign.

Hope this helps.
    Hell Anatee, I just dud the test and his gum looks very healthy and no sunken eyes. So that's a good sign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads