Help Needed! Not drinking water

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Should I be concerned. My Howie started eating homemade dog food fir the past 2 weeks. I have been noticing that he hasn't been drinking water as much. He has gone days nit drinking. I had tried the ice cube trick but he got smart. The homemade food he has been eating has been mushy. Is thus normal? :(

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think she should be fine. My boys only drink in the evening just once if they don't play. They eat raw and it's very normal. I can imagine that home cooking is the same.

To entice Susie, put a little broth in her water. That usually does the trick for my boys.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm not sure if this is normal for all bullies that are fed home cooked or not, but I often feel that my two guys don't always drink enough water, so I have always added some warm water, about 1/2 cup to their kibble. It makes a kind of gravy in their kibble, and also makes it softer to eat. They really like it, and I feel better because they are getting a little extra water each day.

Last edited:
B

Baxter Tiberius

Yep just add water to the food. You can't really give them too much, but keep in mind, wet food has lots of water.

I still think they should have more though. Think about how much we would drink if we were never told its beneficial to our bodies?

I swear I might have a glass of liquid per day some days if I didn't know better. So thats probably what they're doing. Bare minimum. More is always better.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Thank you, folks, for the wonderful advices. I guess I am so use to have him drinking water constantly when he was eating kibbles. But now I have to trick him into drinking water. He didn't touch his water bowl all day yesterday. He's still active and has normal BM and pee.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Hi, I'm not sure if this is or all for bullies that are fed home cooked or not, but I often feel that my two guys don't always drink enough water, so I have always added some warm water, about 1/2 cup to their kibble. It makes a kind of gravy in their kibble, and also makes it softer to eat. They really like it, and I feel better because they are getting a little extra water each day.

The other good thing about adding water to the kibble is that it will already be expanded when they eat it so there will be less expansion in their tummys.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston LOVES ice cubes, so I was going to say add that to the water… but he's too smart for that!!! LOL As long as he's acting normal, I wouldn't worry about it...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you, folks, for the wonderful advices. I guess I am so use to have him drinking water constantly when he was eating kibbles. But now I have to trick him into drinking water. He didn't touch his water bowl all day yesterday. He's still active and has normal BM and pee.

Kibble has salt in most brands (not so much the good ones) so if you add a bit if salt to the homecooked, not much, it may make him more thirsty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Instead of salt, can I use basil? will that work?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
The cool thing about home-made diet is you are in complete control of your dog's nutritional intake. So... water. Kibble is dehydrated. You can see the percentage of moisture in the back of the bag. Usually it's at a maximum of 10%. Raw food is about 50% moisture, so 5 times more than kibble. Home-made food would depend on how much water is absorbed/evaporated in the cooking process.

In any case, if your dog is cooperative, one of the easiest ways to determine if your dog needs water is by inspecting his gums. If the dog's gums are dry, it's not a good sign. Also, if you push your finger on his gums, it would leave a pale mark (blood is pushed out of that area) but when you release your finger, the red color should come back immediately. If it takes more than 2 seconds for it to come back, it's not a good sign. You can also see it with the eyes. If his eyes look sunken, it's not a good sign.

Hope this helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with all theothers.... when feeding raw or homemade foods... they ten to drink less

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
The cool thing about home-made diet is you are in complete control of your dog's nutritional intake. So... water. Kibble is dehydrated. You can see the percentage of moisture in the back of the bag. Usually it's at a maximum of 10%. Raw food is about 50% moisture, so 5 times more than kibble. Home-made food would depend on how much water is absorbed/evaporated in the cooking process.

In any case, if your dog is cooperative, one of the easiest ways to determine if your dog needs water is by inspecting his gums. If the dog's gums are dry, it's not a good sign. Also, if you push your finger on his gums, it would leave a pale mark (blood is pushed out of that area) but when you release your finger, the red color should come back immediately. If it takes more than 2 seconds for it to come back, it's not a good sign. You can also see it with the eyes. If his eyes look sunken, it's not a good sign.

Hope this helps.

Hell Anatee, I just dud the test and his gum looks very healthy and no sunken eyes. So that's a good sign.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Winston LOVES ice cubes, so I was going to say add that to the water… but he's too smart for that!!! LOL As long as he's acting normal, I wouldn't worry about it...

Hi ddnene, I now put a chunk of frozen mango into his water bowl. That gets him going. Thank you for the advice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi ddnene, I now put a chunk of frozen mango into his water bowl. That gets him going. Thank you for the advice.

Absolutely!!! Hope he starts drinking now... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was going to suggest pinching the skin to see if it stands upright or goes back down. When my cat was dehydrated, the skin would stay in the pinched state. I have to giggle because ......how would you determine it with the amount of extra skin a bulldog has? So I guess my advice isn't a good one.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online