Help Needed! Inner eyelid problem!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi, this is Lucky the little rescue puppy we got about 1 1/2 month ago. All the sudden his eye look like this:(. He's been doing so well and is such a happy pup, he shows no sign of it hurting. The stuff coming out of his eye is some cream I have that's for eye issues, thought it would help him a little.

Is this cherry eye? I have no idea how he got it, he was fine in the morning and he was out playing and looked like this next time I saw him:confused:.

20131117_162950.jpg20131117_162832.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That looks like cherry eye to me!!! Bella would get that, and we would gently rub her eyes to push it back in, I think on the home page they did a thread on this?!! Poor baby, I didn't realize that other breeds could get this… He is getting SO big, and cute!!! :D Does he get along w/the rest of the gang?!! I hope his eye gets better soon...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
oh poor baby. Try to massage it back in. Brutus had this in both eyes. It can pop from rough play.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, like the others have said, it's cherry eye, you can try to rub it back in, but it will come back unfortunately. Cute pups too, and bless you for taking him in.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all:) I kind of guessed it's cherry eye but I've never seen that before so I wasn't sure:unsure: I looked at the videos and read the text, it explains very nice. I tried just now to massage it back in but it's hard:( he looses patience with me after a while too which makes it difficult. I'm leaving him for a while now... if I don't manage to get it in today can I leave it and try again tomorrow or is it to late to rub it back in place if it's been out for long? I think I might be to gentle... I'm so scared I'll make it worse:*(
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] he's getting along very well with them all, he's such a good puppy:heart: The only thing is that he likes to put his little nose in everything, esp flowerpots, as you can see on his nose. It always has some kind of soil on it:ashamed:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with everyone's opinion that it's cherry eye. It looks the same as what my EB Blossom had, and she had cherry in in both eyes. She developed it in the left eye first at 5 months old, and we waited until she was spayed at 7 months old, and had both surgeries done at the same time, hoping to only have to put her under anesthetic once, but a week after her surgeries, she developed it in the other eye, and we had it surgically repaired a month later. While we were waiting for surgery, I was able to massage it back in sometimes, but it always came back out. I used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the drug store to keep her eye moist, and to keep it from drying out, because the longer the eye tissue is exposed to the air, can cause the eye to dry out and cause irritation or damage to the eye. The surgery went really well, and the vet did a great job, we are very happy with the results, you would never know she had anything done to her eyes. We opted to tack them in, have them sewn back in, but some people and vets take out the cherry eye gland. Ask lots of questions, and do your research, and consult with your vet to make your decision on which type of repair is best for you, and your pet. Here are some pictures of Blossom, the one on the bottom is when she had cherry eye, and the other two are after she had surgery, and her eye is repaired.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION], you can take a break and try massaging it back in again later. Finn gets this every so often and i know what you mean about them getting a little impatient when i can't massage it back in right away. I'll wait a little bit, then try again and sure enough, the eyelid pops back inside. I understand it is not painful for dogs to have this but the sooner you can get it remedied, the better.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], I tried to massage it back in but I'm so scared:( I'll go to the vet in our town to ask for some eye drops tomorrow, I wont take him there cos it's clear to me they are only after money at that place. It's late here now but I'll read about it tomorrow and ask my hubby to phone our regular vet. I guess it's a pretty big risk he'll develop it in the other eye too eventually... I just wish I'd be able to get it back in place, I feel so useless:moping:. Is it hard the first time? I mean for me to get the hang of it?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
You will get the hang of it. If you can get him to be in a "down" position, and you get down on the floor as well and gently hold his head still while using your thumb to push it back in…It took me a few tries before i got it right the first time too.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I googled cherry eye on the Internet when Blossom first got it, and there's a couple of good videos on there that show you how to do it. I also think there's one on the forum here on EBN, but it was easy to massage it back in, it just doesn't stay in most times. It will usually come back out after they run or play. How old is your guy? Blossom was 5 months old, when the first eye popped out, then we waited until she was 7 months old to have it repaired when she was spayed, a week later, her other eye popped out, so we had to do a second surgery. The second surgery ended up costing the same as the first surgery where she had two procedures done, because she had to be put under again, and more medications, IV fluids, etc. The recovery wasn't hard, she didn't seem to be in any pain, and we just had some antibiotic eye Creme to put in her eye everyday, and we followed up with the vet a week later. You don't need to go to the vet for prescription eye drops for the moisturizing drops, you can buy over the counter eye drops from the pharmacy. We used Refresh eye drops for Blossom, and they kept her eye moist. Most products that are safe for humans, are also safe for dogs. They are cheaper at the pharmacy, than what the vet sells them for, and they work the same.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, I googled cherry eye on the Internet when Blossom first got it, and there's a couple of good videos on there that show you how to do it. I also think there's one on the forum here on EBN, but it was easy to massage it back in, it just doesn't stay in most times. It will usually come back out after they run or play. How old is your guy? Blossom was 5 months old, when the first eye popped out, then we waited until she was 7 months old to have it repaired when she was spayed, a week later, her other eye popped out, so we had to do a second surgery. The second surgery ended up costing the same as the first surgery where she had two procedures done, because she had to be put under again, and more medications, IV fluids, etc. The recovery wasn't hard, she didn't seem to be in any pain, and we just had some antibiotic eye Creme to put in her eye everyday, and we followed up with the vet a week later. You don't need to go to the vet for prescription eye drops for the moisturizing drops, you can buy over the counter eye drops from the pharmacy. We used Refresh eye drops for Blossom, and they kept her eye moist. Most products that are safe for humans, are also safe for dogs. They are cheaper at the pharmacy, than what the vet sells them for, and they work the same.

Oh, that's great:) then I'll go to the pharmacy instead. I don't know what our vet will say... they'll probably take our word for the diagnosis and give some hint on what to do. He's still pretty young, don't know exactly since he's a rescue but I'd guess he's about 4-5 month old. I saw a video with a guy massaging a cherry eye back on a puppy that looked almost exactly like Lucky... tried to hold him the same but Lucky is bigger and I get tired of holding him and he gets tired of me:ashamed:. I'll give it one last try now before bed... it's 10pm here now:mellow: I hope I'll get it right this time... :unsure:.

It's such a relief to have this forum to turn to:heart: without it I would lay awake all night stressing about Lucky's eye falling out in the night or something:fie:, now at least I know it doesn't hurt him and that it's nothing super bad:).

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for help and concerns:) Lucky is still "puppying" around like before. I have NOT been able to massage it back in place:( I don't know what I'm doing wrong:moping:. I got some eye ointment from the pharmacy today that they give for this kind of issue. She said it will help his eye keep the moist and not get infected.

The vet said the only thing to do is operation, but as some mentioned here, the other eye is likely to get the same issue so we'll wait and see... vet said it's not urgent as long as he doesn't show discomfort or it gets worse. Now at least I'm SURE he's got Shar pei genes in him, due to this issue and his thick nose and overload of skin:tongue:.

I feel so sorry for him:*( Should I keep trying to massage it back or is some just not going back?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.