Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Inner eyelid problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, I googled cherry eye on the Internet when Blossom first got it, and there's a couple of good videos on there that show you how to do it. I also think there's one on the forum here on EBN, but it was easy to massage it back in, it just doesn't stay in most times. It will usually come back out after they run or play. How old is your guy? Blossom was 5 months old, when the first eye popped out, then we waited until she was 7 months old to have it repaired when she was spayed, a week later, her other eye popped out, so we had to do a second surgery. The second surgery ended up costing the same as the first surgery where she had two procedures done, because she had to be put under again, and more medications, IV fluids, etc. The recovery wasn't hard, she didn't seem to be in any pain, and we just had some antibiotic eye Creme to put in her eye everyday, and we followed up with the vet a week later. You don't need to go to the vet for prescription eye drops for the moisturizing drops, you can buy over the counter eye drops from the pharmacy. We used Refresh eye drops for Blossom, and they kept her eye moist. Most products that are safe for humans, are also safe for dogs. They are cheaper at the pharmacy, than what the vet sells them for, and they work the same.
    Oh, that's great then I'll go to the pharmacy instead. I don't know what our vet will say... they'll probably take our word for the diagnosis and give some hint on what to do. He's still pretty young, don't know exactly since he's a rescue but I'd guess he's about 4-5 month old. I saw a video with a guy massaging a cherry eye back on a puppy that looked almost exactly like Lucky... tried to hold him the same but Lucky is bigger and I get tired of holding him and he gets tired of me. I'll give it one last try now before bed... it's 10pm here now I hope I'll get it right this time... .

It's such a relief to have this forum to turn to without it I would lay awake all night stressing about Lucky's eye falling out in the night or something, now at least I know it doesn't hurt him and that it's nothing super bad.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I hope Luckys eye gets better quick.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for help and concerns Lucky is still "puppying" around like before. I have NOT been able to massage it back in place I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I got some eye ointment from the pharmacy today that they give for this kind of issue. She said it will help his eye keep the moist and not get infected.

The vet said the only thing to do is operation, but as some mentioned here, the other eye is likely to get the same issue so we'll wait and see... vet said it's not urgent as long as he doesn't show discomfort or it gets worse. Now at least I'm SURE he's got Shar pei genes in him, due to this issue and his thick nose and overload of skin.

I feel so sorry for him Should I keep trying to massage it back or is some just not going back?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It doesn't look too bad, it could go away on its own too. Sometimes over activity or stress can cause them to come out but they go back down after a good nights rest. If he starts showing any discomfort you can have the vet check if there is a scratch on his cornea as that can cause it to pop out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    It doesn't look too bad, it could go away on its own too. Sometimes over activity or stress can cause them to come out but they go back down after a good nights rest. If he starts showing any discomfort you can have the vet check if there is a scratch on his cornea as that can cause it to pop out too.
    Oh, that would be great if it did... I didn't even know it could heal back. He is SO tired of me now putting cream and trying to massage it back but it's not out much and I do my best to keep him out of the sun, it gets a lill red if he's out to long during the mid day. I think I'll stick to the cream from now on and wait and see what happens...

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Oh, that would be great if it did... I didn't even know it could heal back. He is SO tired of me now putting cream and trying to massage it back but it's not out much and I do my best to keep him out of the sun, it gets a lill red if he's out to long during the mid day. I think I'll stick to the cream from now on and wait and see what happens...
    Yep, I know of a bulldog who pops both cherry eyes each time he goes to the vet. By morning next day they are gone. Stress related or over excitement in his case. When she told me I was quite surprised as I had never heard of such a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Yep, I know of a bulldog who pops both cherry eyes each time he goes to the vet. By morning next day they are gone. Stress related or over excitement in his case. When she told me I was quite surprised as I had never heard of such a thing!
    Wow, ja I'm completely new to this cherry eye thing so I know absolutely nothing apart from what I've learned since yesterday. I don't think it's stress cos nothing has happened here... he was at the vet but that was more than a week ago so that's a long shot... He does get very excited when playing so it could be excitement... It has nothing to do with heat? It's insanely warm here now, often above 35 degrees C (95 F)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads