diet they were on all the time.
Thanks for the info. There is
so much to learn.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I used to use white rice for my bland diet, but I have recently switched to whole grain brown rice. Cooked long enough its just as easy to digest, and is more healthy than white rice.

The meat portion is either chicken or ground beef, and sweet potato (yam) is another good source of carbohydrates.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I use white rice and chicken. OR if it is an emergency and by that I mean that I come home from working 12 or so hours to be greeted by the word "diahorrea" then we will use canned dog food. So I usually have the packet of Uncle Bens white rice that you can zap in the microwave for 90seconds and a can of dog food stored away for these emergencies.

I was using the brown rice at first, but then my vet just said to use white rice because the brown rice is higher in fiber and that's the last thing you want when you're trying to clear up diahorrea!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Figures is post in this thread since I'm sure someone else will have this question a some point. This isn't my first time doing the bland diet but I just can't remember. (Baby brain)

How long do you normally feed them the bland diet? And when switching back to their food, should you do it gradual or can you just go right back to feeding them their normal meals?

I think last time I switched Chunk back gradually (over 2-3 days) but that also may have been a food switch at the time. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Since Jackson got an upper respitory infection and stopped eating a few weeks ago, we've been feeding him a version of the bland diet (I mix Blue Buffalo canned dog food with green beans and rice). He has finished his meds and made about a 99% recovery and only coughs here and there. I'm so happy that he's feeling better! I'm wondering, should I start mixing in his kibble gradually? Also, he loves the bland diet, but I don't want him to get so used to it that he won't go back to eating his regular food. Anyone have a problem with this? Another question, how much of the rice/veggies do you feed w/ the meat? I don't know if we're giving him enough. He gobbles the food down and then proceeds to try and eat his bowl. lol. I can't tell if he's still hungry or just greedy!

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
I lightly browned (no oil in nonstick pan), then steamed, boneless skinless chicken breasts and cooked a pan of white rice. I fed as follows.... 1/2 cup finely chopped chicken and 1/2 cup rice twice per day since charley is used to this volume of food.

Would he eat more? Yes! But, I don't think Charley has lost weight. Next time I will use browned extra lean hamburger. I am beginning to think he is sensitive to chicken.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Currently, Chubbs is on a bland diet & has been for a couple weeks now. His stool was awful when we first got him. I've tried boiled hamburger & white rice, which he loves, but I think it just made his tummy worse. Also, he had explosive diarrhea. :( The vet put him on Hills I/D dry (1/2 cup) & W/D wet (1/4 cup). We originally had been feeding him 1 cup dry/day but after reading posts here, we decided to decrease his dry to 1/2. This combo seems to be working well.

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Does the bland diet not upset their tummy also since this is something thats different from their current food also?

Do you feed bland diet until the Diarrhea clears or just for a couple of days? Not quite sure.

I had Sassy spayed on Monday, picked her up from vet on Tuesday. Stool fine all week, until Thursday night/Friday am. I gave her, her flea/heart worm pill and then she started having the D. No vomiting, just very very loose stool. She's pooped in her crate twice, because she cannot hold it. She NEVER eliminates in her crate, as she is crate trained..... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IDK if they fed her at the vet while she was there or if this is a side effect from the pill I gave her. This is her 2nd dose of this pill, the 1st time it didn't bother her, and I gave it with food as per the instructions.

Thanks!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Does the bland diet not upset their tummy also since this is something thats different from their current food also?

Do you feed bland diet until the Diarrhea clears or just for a couple of days? Not quite sure.

I had Sassy spayed on Monday, picked her up from vet on Tuesday. Stool fine all week, until Thursday night/Friday am. I gave her, her flea/heart worm pill and then she started having the D. No vomiting, just very very loose stool. She's pooped in her crate twice, because she cannot hold it. She NEVER eliminates in her crate, as she is crate trained..... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IDK if they fed her at the vet while she was there or if this is a side effect from the pill I gave her. This is her 2nd dose of this pill, the 1st time it didn't bother her, and I gave it with food as per the instructions.

Thanks!

No it calms the tummy and it's easily digested, it's only meant for short term, a few days up to a week. I would call your vet though about the diarrhea since she was just spayed and took her normal dose of med. is she having any other symptoms? Lethargic, not eating or drinking?

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
No it calms the tummy and it's easily digested, it's only meant for short term, a few days up to a week. I would call your vet though about the diarrhea since she was just spayed and took her normal dose of med. is she having any other symptoms? Lethargic, not eating or drinking?

no other symptoms at all....she is completely normal other than the D. Eating and drinking fine. She's demolishing a blanket as I type. Seems to be feeling EXTRA frisky/hyper this am. ;-)

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
no other symptoms at all....she is completely normal other than the D. Eating and drinking fine. She's demolishing a blanket as I type. Seems to be feeling EXTRA frisky/hyper this am. ;-)

Okay that is good news. You can try the bland diet for a couple of days then, you should see results very quickly if it's just tummy and digestive upset. If no improvement in 24 hours you may want to take her in to make sure there is nothing else going on. Hoping she's all better by tomorrow! Keep us posted.