Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am going to automatically link the words "Bland Diet" to this topic, so that everytime we mention those words together it will put a link that can be clicked to this topic. That way, we do not have to tell what is in the bland diet each time.

So my question for our members is, what do you put in your bland diet?

I use about 3/4 cup of white rice with boiled hamburger. I use some of the juice from the water I boiled the hamburger in to drizzle over the rice. If I have some on hand, I will also add a heaping tablespoon of cottage cheese.

If I have no hamburger, I will use chicken breast or tenderloins. Never bone in chicken- but if that is all I have I will pull the meat off the bone.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I haven't had a lot of need for a bland diet, but when I have I do rice with either very lean hamb. or white chicken meat. I don't boil the hamb., I brown it in a skillet and drain off the little grease. The idea of boiled hamb. just sounds gross to me.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I do boiled chicken breast or hamburger meat (cooked like Gertie's Mom said, in the skillet, then drain the fat) with white rice and cottage cheese.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Not that I have had to put Vegas on a bland diet, and hopefully never will, but If I do what can I use instead of rice? [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], since rice is a grain and Vegas is grain free?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Vegas is potato free also!!

LOL Thats right he's on Nature's Variety Instinct! Then I would say meat, cottage cheese and maybe a mild vegetable like some cooked carrots if you ever needed a bland diet. Thats what I would do if Samson needed a bland diet because he is also on the Natures Variety Instinct so grain and potato free too.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Even if I were on the instict formula, if I HAD to use the bland diet I would still use the rice. For some reason, this combination settles their intestinal tract. Once you have straightened things out, you would go back to grain free. That is what I would do if put in your shoes.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I think every Bulldog ends up on a "bland diet" at some point. With Maximus, he was on it for weeks, due to Giardia. I used ground lamb and rice, with sweet potatoe. He loved it. He doesn't like beef at all so ground beef was not an option. He gets organic chicken most evenings anyhow, but the ground lamb and rice was a real treat for him and he enjoyed it.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Even if I were on the instict formula, if I HAD to use the bland diet I would still use the rice. For some reason, this combination settles their intestinal tract. Once you have straightened things out, you would go back to grain free. That is what I would do if put in your shoes.

I agree.

Rice is a grain that is NOT a common source of allergies for bulldogs anyway and it is worth it to help the digestive upset that comes with diarrhea and avoid a trip to the vet. A bland diet works so well to calm the digestive system and firm up the stools. Linus is also grain free and I've given him the bland diet a couple times with absolutely no adverse affects from eating a few portions of rice.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
When you feed the bland diet, do you give the same portion size as their regular food?

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Why are they on this diet? Did something happen or is it just
the way some feed there dogs?

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Why are they on this diet? Did something happen or is it just
the way some feed there dogs?

No, it is not a fed diet. It is used if your bully has an upset stomach or digestive tract. Like baaaaddd diarrhea or throwing up. But keep an eye on your fur-kid, cuz these symptoms could also mean something else very bad is wrong.

Jesse ate this when we thought she swallowed a toy.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online