Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The "Bland Diet"

Great idea! I usually give 1 cup in am and pm.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jozi, Wales
    Likes (Received)

Why are they on this diet? Did something happen or is it just
    the way some feed there dogs?

3. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bfletch13 View Post
    Why are they on this diet? Did something happen or is it just
    the way some feed there dogs?
    No, it is not a fed diet. It is used if your bully has an upset stomach or digestive tract. Like baaaaddd diarrhea or throwing up. But keep an eye on your fur-kid, cuz these symptoms could also mean something else very bad is wrong.

Jesse ate this when we thought she swallowed a toy.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jozi, Wales
    Likes (Received)

OH OK I just thought it was a
    diet they were on all the time.
    Thanks for the info. There is
    so much to learn.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

I used to use white rice for my bland diet, but I have recently switched to whole grain brown rice. Cooked long enough its just as easy to digest, and is more healthy than white rice.

The meat portion is either chicken or ground beef, and sweet potato (yam) is another good source of carbohydrates.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I use white rice and chicken. OR if it is an emergency and by that I mean that I come home from working 12 or so hours to be greeted by the word "diahorrea" then we will use canned dog food. So I usually have the packet of Uncle Bens white rice that you can zap in the microwave for 90seconds and a can of dog food stored away for these emergencies.

I was using the brown rice at first, but then my vet just said to use white rice because the brown rice is higher in fiber and that's the last thing you want when you're trying to clear up diahorrea!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cognac
    Likes (Received)

I used 1/3 of a cup white rice, 1/3 cup canned pumpkin mixed with some shredded chicken breast, using the chicken water to the rice.

It works amazing.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Figures is post in this thread since I'm sure someone else will have this question a some point. This isn't my first time doing the bland diet but I just can't remember. (Baby brain)

How long do you normally feed them the bland diet? And when switching back to their food, should you do it gradual or can you just go right back to feeding them their normal meals?

I think last time I switched Chunk back gradually (over 2-3 days) but that also may have been a food switch at the time. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Likes (Received)

Since Jackson got an upper respitory infection and stopped eating a few weeks ago, we've been feeding him a version of the bland diet (I mix Blue Buffalo canned dog food with green beans and rice). He has finished his meds and made about a 99% recovery and only coughs here and there. I'm so happy that he's feeling better! I'm wondering, should I start mixing in his kibble gradually? Also, he loves the bland diet, but I don't want him to get so used to it that he won't go back to eating his regular food. Anyone have a problem with this? Another question, how much of the rice/veggies do you feed w/ the meat? I don't know if we're giving him enough. He gobbles the food down and then proceeds to try and eat his bowl. lol. I can't tell if he's still hungry or just greedy!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

I lightly browned (no oil in nonstick pan), then steamed, boneless skinless chicken breasts and cooked a pan of white rice. I fed as follows.... 1/2 cup finely chopped chicken and 1/2 cup rice twice per day since charley is used to this volume of food.

Would he eat more? Yes! But, I don't think Charley has lost weight. Next time I will use browned extra lean hamburger. I am beginning to think he is sensitive to chicken.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)

Currently, Chubbs is on a bland diet & has been for a couple weeks now. His stool was awful when we first got him. I've tried boiled hamburger & white rice, which he loves, but I think it just made his tummy worse. Also, he had explosive diarrhea. The vet put him on Hills I/D dry (1/2 cup) & W/D wet (1/4 cup). We originally had been feeding him 1 cup dry/day but after reading posts here, we decided to decrease his dry to 1/2. This combo seems to be working well.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sassy
    Likes (Received)

Does the bland diet not upset their tummy also since this is something thats different from their current food also?

Do you feed bland diet until the Diarrhea clears or just for a couple of days? Not quite sure.

I had Sassy spayed on Monday, picked her up from vet on Tuesday. Stool fine all week, until Thursday night/Friday am. I gave her, her flea/heart worm pill and then she started having the D. No vomiting, just very very loose stool. She's pooped in her crate twice, because she cannot hold it. She NEVER eliminates in her crate, as she is crate trained..... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IDK if they fed her at the vet while she was there or if this is a side effect from the pill I gave her. This is her 2nd dose of this pill, the 1st time it didn't bother her, and I gave it with food as per the instructions.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads