Diarrhea

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Hello all,
My Marly has had diarrhea for a month now off and on. I dont know exactly what is causing it. She eats all nautral treats and I am giving her nutro ultra (puppy) which is the best and most expensive dog food at petsmart. Whenever see goes nothing but water comes out. It stinks like death!!!

Does anyone else feed nutro ultra to there dog? Or suggest a better dog food for my bully.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 180

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
It sounds more like giarrdia. Is it bloody? You need to try and get a sample and take it to the vets. That is definately NOT normal!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is what it sounds like (giardia) but it also could be coccidia! Both of these are treatable but you must get her to the vet asap. If she has had diarrhea for that long she is probably very dehydrated. Nutro is not a great food choice either but right now it is important to not change foods if she is having upset bowels. Your vet will probably suggest a bland diet as well. Please keep us posted!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Hopefully it's not Parvo! I'm worried about that puppy. Please get him to the vets!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I would say it's probably not parvo, that doesn't last a month. I was thinking coccodia, I've never dealt with giartia, but coccidia STINKS to high heaven!! I'd get her (or at least a sample) to your vet. Rice and Lean hamb or chicken, for sure. I also once had a bout of diarreha with Gertie and I gave her vanilla (because it doesn't come in plain) Activia yogart. They say it straightens out digestion problems, so she got a little every morning. It seems to help. Poor Marly! Hope you get her straightened out soon, then I would change her food. There are MANY foods out there better than Nutro. My girls are on Nature's Variety Prairie, and do very well on it.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Aside from all the great advice you have gotten so far I say maybe give a tbsp of canned pumpkin a day to try and firm her up a little. I agree with everyone else on getting her to the dr to be checked. Poor thing must be hurting. :( Please let us know what the vet says. By the way she is ADORABLE and I just love her ears.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
when Chief was a puppy he had the same problem I took him to the vet and they gave him two kinds of meds for a parasite. Ireland just started yesterday day with it so she is going in today.. They said its something that the wormer dont get... But no its not parvo for sure, I dont think a dog could last a month with out treatment for parvo...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree with everyone regarding taking her to the vet asap. There's most likely another issue other than the food. Please keep us posted!

OP
Dan75208

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
I just spoke to my vet and they suggested to change her food. They said that it doesnt sound serious. She hasnt lost any weight and she only had diaherra like one a week and there is no blood.

A good dose of pepto bismol and slowly start to change out her food. I'm probably going with nature's varity Prairie dry food.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh good, hopefully that will help solve the problem! Please keep us updated while you change the food over so we dont worry. Also make sure the change is a slow one since most bullies tummys are very sensitive when it comes to food changes. I would do 1 part new to 3 parts old for a few days then up it to 2 and 2 for a few more days and so on. The longer the switch the better on her tummy thats for sure.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree with the other posters here. I think it is a parasite infection, could be Giardia. Maximus had it for weeks on end after I acquired him. It required a total change in Diet, the addition of Probiotics and digestive enzymes, not to mention weeks of Panacur to clear the infection. The other problem with Max is his Grain Allergies ------ He had to be switched to Grain-Free foods, and he can not have any
treats of any kind, whether they are grain-free or gluten-free, because they all cause Diarrhea with Max. In any event, I would absolutely get the dog to the VET .

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just spoke to my vet and they suggested to change her food. They said that it doesnt sound serious. She hasnt lost any weight and she only had diaherra like one a week and there is no blood.

A good dose of pepto bismol and slowly start to change out her food. I'm probably going with nature's varity Prairie dry food.

I guess we all misinterpreted the original post. So just one diarrhea a week? This could be from something she ate (and should not have) too many treats as well. Make sure you don't give her treats like pupperonis and bacon things. It is all junk and very bad for the tummy. Make sure to switch her very slowly while switching foods, you cannot go wrong with Nature's Variety. Thanks for the update!

OP
Dan75208

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
I am slowing switching her food to Natural Varierty Prairie (thanks Gertie's Mom). I went to a speciality store since freaking Petsmart doesnt offer it. Shes been pooping fine so far and if she has another diarrhea problem we will be going straight to the VET and complaining :angry:.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.