Heartworm Medication making my dog high?

withers1020

Oct 27, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Fred
My bulldog Fred just recently went from 60lbs to 65lbs so he moved up a weight bracket for his heartworm medication. Every time I give him his heartworm medication (for heavier dogs) he starts to act weird. I gave it to him this afternoon and a few hours later he was acting all loopy. He can barely keep his eyes open, he can barely hold himself up, his bottom jaw is twitching a little bit, and he just stares out into space. His breathing is normal though. It seriously looks like my bulldog is high.

What should I do? Should I take him to a vet? Can heartworm medication have this effect? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would tell your vet about this. We give ours heart worm meds and have a couple that are on the low end of a higher dose and they never show any signs weirdness. What are you giving him. We give ours Sentinal and no problems.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with David... call your vet and he may need to stay on the lower dose. we also use Sentinal without issue

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have given many dogs h w meds for many years-have never seen a reaction. You might ask vet, try another med.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10157]withers1020[/MENTION] Just don't let them give you Trifexis, it has killed several dogs and a friend of ours beautiful 2 year old bully.

Members online

No members online now.