nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Happy Friday everyone!

For the last couple of weeks my husband kept saying that Curly's breath smells metallic/fishy. I only started smelling it myself last week. We feed all of our dog Fromm's Pork & Peas and the other two's breath does not smell this way. When he was on Blue Wilderness, his breath didn't smell this way, so I'm wondering if it's the food? He's doing great on FROMMS though - we switched him because of bad tear stains and he started licking his paws (prob a salmon allergy). The tear stains have definitely lighted up and he has stopped licking his paws.

Curly is still teething but I do not see any bloody/infected areas in his mouth. Anyone ever have a similar issues and know the cause?

And a second issue that may or may not be related is in the last week I've noticed that Curly has a runny nose and has been blowing snot out of his nose. I haven't tried giving him benadryl yet (It might be allergies) but I felt it was fair to mention this also in case it could be related to his strange smelling breath

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I consider "snot" as being yellow, milky looking, or green...If it is any of these colors-best get to the vet. There is infection somewhere...........

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
The snot/discharge is clear - no discoloration.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The snot/discharge is clear - no discoloration.

If it's watery and not mucous like, it should be ok. Mine get snotty noses from time to time.

As for the metal smell, I know that if a bully (or any other dog) starts on raw, sometimes there's this weird sulphur-like smell that comes out of them for a bit. I've read that it's from their body getting used to ingesting the nutrients. After a while it disappears. It's not harmful at all, in rawfeeding-sense.

But let's see what others say since you feed Fromm/

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I should also say that he is acting normal, very playful and probably doesn't realize that he has the stinkiest breath ever LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, the metallic smelling breath could be caused by dental problems, how old is Curly. He may need a teeth cleaning. Also blood can cause a metallic smell in the mouth. Check his mouth for cuts, lacerations, look at the roof of his mouth, and along the gum lines, to see if there may be a cut or blood caused from chewing on toys, bones, rawhide.

Metallic smelling mouth can also be caused by stomach or digestive problems such as, ulcers, giving him a probiotic like yogurt may help his stomach.

Kidney Problems can also cause a metallic smell in the breath due to uremia.

Anal Gland infections can also cause a metallic smell, due to licking the rectum, or the anal glands

Diet can be another cause can be a raw diet or treats that contain organ meats like liver, or spleen can cause a metallic smell to the breath.

I hope it's nothing serious, but a visit to the vet to rule out the cause would be a good idea if it doesn't go away, and you can't figure out the source. Please keep us posted.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Metallic smell to me is blood-- my bullies smell of that in their breath particularly after chewing on a nylabone for a while. If he is teething he may have a little blood when he's chewing thus leaving behind the metallic smell.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Hi, the metallic smelling breath could be caused by dental problems, how old is Curly. He may need a teeth cleaning. Also blood can cause a metallic smell in the mouth. Check his mouth for cuts, lacerations, look at the roof of his mouth, and along the gum lines, to see if there may be a cut or blood caused from chewing on toys, bones, rawhide.

Metallic smelling mouth can also be caused by stomach or digestive problems such as, ulcers, giving him a probiotic like yogurt may help his stomach.

Kidney Problems can also cause a metallic smell in the breath due to uremia.

Anal Gland infections can also cause a metallic smell, due to licking the rectum, or the anal glands

Diet can be another cause can be a raw diet or treats that contain organ meats like liver, or spleen can cause a metallic smell to the breath.

I hope it's nothing serious, but a visit to the vet to rule out the cause would be a good idea if it doesn't go away, and you can't figure out the source. Please keep us posted.

He is 18 weeks now and still teething.

I check his mouth daily and I can't find any soreness or bleeding in his mouth.

He can't reach his behind yet though he has tried a couple of times - So I don't think the anal issues are likely here (I'm with him 24-7 because I work from home and only see him go for his but when he passes gas sometimes)

No raw treats or food here. We only give him cheddar cheese on daily (half a stick - like the string cheese sticks but it's cheddar). Does anyone know if that has enough probiotics in it or should I supplement it with yogurt too?

He is due for another vet visit in a few weeks for his rabies shots. Since he is acting normal I'm going to hold out on addressing it with the vet until his next visit.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We give our guys 1 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt on their kibble every morning, it is a great source of probiotics, and is good for digestion, and boosts the immune system.

Last edited:
OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I've read cheddar cheese is a great source too, anyone else hear this too? I've given the dogs yogurt before but it gets everywhere LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The amount of cheese you would give your dog probably wouldn't give him enough probiotics, plus you want to limit the cheese as it can cause diarrhea. Yogurt is a better source of probiotics, and doesn't cause the same stomach problems as dairy products.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was going to say the same as others... blood would cause that smell. going to keep watch on this one as I want to know if there is another reason

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks all! I'll keep you updated on this. I actually need to rush my cat to the vet soon because he is obstructed (he had crystals last week and he just started displaying systems again - I'm waiting for my husband to finish getting ready) :( I'm going to ask the vet when I see her and see if she thinks I should bring Curly in or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyannitello

Aug 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tinsley
We have started experiencing this metallic smell in Tinsley's breathe as well (shes 9 weeks). I don't see any cuts or issues with her gums so I am not sure what it may be...

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Nu, My English Bulldog, Elmo has the same problem, no snotty nose, but metallic order at his mouth, I have looked at his teeth and gums, all is clear. Elmo is 15weeks old. Should we get a Vet involved with this, what have you done, have you contacted your vet about this, if you do let me know what he or she says, and when I take Elmo on Dec. 10th to his vet I will let you know as well. Keep me informed on this Please. Together we will figure this problem out. Thank You, My Otis Susan Moore

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.