Black Gunk in nose rope area-what is it?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I clean Porkchop's nose rope every evening with a water and vinegar mix. Lately there is a large amount of black/brown gunk coming off the cotton pads. There is no odor. He is fed dry Wellness salmon kibble and I thought maybe this was residue from his sloppy eating. He has been scratching at his face more often. Is it possible to tell whether this is a yeast infection? If so, what do you treat it with? I just read one thread that recommended witch hazel as a good cleaning agent. Maybe I should change to that? Any advice is welcome.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The nose rope is an area where i also find all sorts of gunk and grime. If the nose rope is deep, this is fairly common. I wipe with a soft Kleenex, some times will add witch hazel to it. If you don't notice a smell it's likely not a yeast infection and just some dirt that got caught in there. I know some folks here also use Duoxo pads for the nose rope and skin folds.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I use witch hazel, if the black "gunk" don't have an odor it might be just dirt. When Vegas goes outside he is like a pig rooting for food, Nose to the ground and sniffing everything. When Vegas get's yeast there is a sour odor.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's what I was thinking, just dirt. Do you dry it well after cleaning? If not you might try that to see if it helps.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use witch hazel, if the black "gunk" don't have an odor it might be just dirt. When Vegas goes outside he is like a pig rooting for food, Nose to the ground and sniffing everything. When Vegas get's yeast there is a sour odor.

Oh so does Winston… my hubby calls him a rutting PIGGY!!! LOL :pigfly:

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Whew! This is a relief to read your responses. I will get some witch hazel tomorrow. Pork doesn't go outside much if he can avoid it, other than daily walks. He hates to walk in grass so I don't guess he roots in the dirt. But his dry food is the same color as the gunk. Maybe that's the cause. But I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks, everyone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gang has you cover....

Your Polly sure is a pretty girl!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Porkchop twins :) side note panalog is a fantabulous item to get from ur vet just in case there ever is a yeast issue :) I have some for my porky girl n almost overnight the yeast is gone when it does flare up :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If it is caused from his food, you could try wiping his face with a baby wipe everytime he finishes eating.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I'm cleaning the wrinkles more often just for a few days to see if it's food-related (messy eating) or not. He sees me dig out the cotton pads and tries to sneak away. LOL I hadn't heard of using panalog for yeast. A neighbor told me to keep some Monistat on hand. I want to get a handle on this as he goes in for nose/palette surgery Thanksgiving week.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm cleaning the wrinkles more often just for a few days to see if it's food-related (messy eating) or not. He sees me dig out the cotton pads and tries to sneak away. LOL I hadn't heard of using panalog for yeast. A neighbor told me to keep some Monistat on hand. I want to get a handle on this as he goes in for nose/palette surgery Thanksgiving week.

Keep us posted on his surgery.... hope it all goes well. I also use witch hazel on the folds and nose rope -- nature drying agent so it is a good way to keep the moisture away

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky

Omg don't use monistat I used to be the biggest advocate for using it bcuz it really does work but it burnssssssssssss so bad it's almost unbearable poor porky used to smush her face into the ground n just walk like that :( I didn't know it burned now I do n it went right into the garbage!!!! I have the panalog for ear infections n I just rub that in her nose n it works incredibly n best of all she doesn't try to rub her face off lol

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks for the head's up on the Monistat! I'll see about getting some Panalog on hand.:pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Panalog works so well because it kills bacteria and yeast. Most products only kill one or the other. Most likely it's a combination of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online