Thread: Coughing??

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Coughing??

Hey all, so last night Winston started this weird coughing thing. It only happens when he is playing or running really hard he starts to cough almost as if he is going to cough up phlegm but nothing comes out. Any thoughts on what it can be and how I can help him? It is winter here pretty much so I do not believe it is allergies. Thanks!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coughing??

Some will do this when they play too hard or run, especially it it's a little cold out. If he stops as soon as he calms down then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Dana F
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
    Likes (Received)

That's very odd..cause Stinky was doing the same thing last night. And threw up this morning. I called the vets cause he just had surgery last Wed. She said it sounded like kennel cough. So I had to pick up some new meds. Hope that's what it is with Stinky and nothing else. Hope Winston gets to feeling better.'

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Buster does that sometimes when he gets to playing and running around. I hope that's all it is.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate you all getting back to me so quickly, thank you! He does stop as soon as he calms down, but I think he is ok now, he just played fetch with my husband for a good 15 minutes and in about the first minute he coughed up a tiny bit of phlegm and then he was fine and hasn't done it since. The temps dropped her pretty drastically last night so maybe it was because he was outside in the cold running around a bit and then came back in to the warm house. I will keep an eye on him over the next few days but I am hoping he was just trying to cough up what was stuck in his throat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dana F View Post
    That's very odd..cause Stinky was doing the same thing last night. And threw up this morning. I called the vets cause he just had surgery last Wed. She said it sounded like kennel cough. So I had to pick up some new meds. Hope that's what it is with Stinky and nothing else. Hope Winston gets to feeling better.'
    I hope Stinky is feeling better soon!!

Real Name
    Dana F
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    I appreciate you all getting back to me so quickly, thank you! He does stop as soon as he calms down, but I think he is ok now, he just played fetch with my husband for a good 15 minutes and in about the first minute he coughed up a tiny bit of phlegm and then he was fine and hasn't done it since. The temps dropped her pretty drastically last night so maybe it was because he was outside in the cold running around a bit and then came back in to the warm house. I will keep an eye on him over the next few days but I am hoping he was just trying to cough up what was stuck in his throat.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope Stinky is feeling better soon!!
    Glad to hear he is doing better.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

My Winston will do that too if he's running around, playing like a maniac. If he keeps it up, I would call the vet… sometimes it can be serious!!! Hope your Winston feels better soon

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone, I will definitely call the vet if it gets worse!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hope he is feeling better today!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

We ended up at the vet this morning . He woke up at 3 am and started coughing...it just worried me so I called the vet as soon as they opened..they took him in at 8:45..he has kennel cough hes vaccinated against it but I guess its only against the main strain so he must have picked something up at daycare. He is on an anti biotic for 10 days and an anti inflammatory for 3 days. After a week he will not be contagious anymore. Hopefully he is on the mend soon!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    We ended up at the vet this morning . He woke up at 3 am and started coughing...it just worried me so I called the vet as soon as they opened..they took him in at 8:45..he has kennel cough hes vaccinated against it but I guess its only against the main strain so he must have picked something up at daycare. He is on an anti biotic for 10 days and an anti inflammatory for 3 days. After a week he will not be contagious anymore. Hopefully he is on the mend soon!
    Awe geeez, poor Winston. I hope the meds kick in quick and he gets better really soon. You did the right thing taking him in like you did.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    Awe geeez, poor Winston. I hope the meds kick in quick and he gets better really soon. You did the right thing taking him in like you did.
    Me too . I think I am more upset about it then he is. It really doesn't seem to phase him much. He is still playing and eating like normal just with a stop in between to cough lol. Yeah I didn't want to take a chance and I am glad I didn't. I figured even if it was nothing at least it would give me peace of mind but now I am really glad that I took him in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads