Help Needed! Coughing??

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hey all, so last night Winston started this weird coughing thing. It only happens when he is playing or running really hard he starts to cough almost as if he is going to cough up phlegm but nothing comes out. Any thoughts on what it can be and how I can help him? It is winter here pretty much so I do not believe it is allergies. Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some will do this when they play too hard or run, especially it it's a little cold out. If he stops as soon as he calms down then I wouldn't worry about it.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
That's very odd..cause Stinky was doing the same thing last night. And threw up this morning. I called the vets cause he just had surgery last Wed. She said it sounded like kennel cough. So I had to pick up some new meds. Hope that's what it is with Stinky and nothing else. Hope Winston gets to feeling better.'

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster does that sometimes when he gets to playing and running around. I hope that's all it is.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I appreciate you all getting back to me so quickly, thank you! He does stop as soon as he calms down, but I think he is ok now, he just played fetch with my husband for a good 15 minutes and in about the first minute he coughed up a tiny bit of phlegm and then he was fine and hasn't done it since. The temps dropped her pretty drastically last night so maybe it was because he was outside in the cold running around a bit and then came back in to the warm house. I will keep an eye on him over the next few days but I am hoping he was just trying to cough up what was stuck in his throat.

- - - Updated - - -

That's very odd..cause Stinky was doing the same thing last night. And threw up this morning. I called the vets cause he just had surgery last Wed. She said it sounded like kennel cough. So I had to pick up some new meds. Hope that's what it is with Stinky and nothing else. Hope Winston gets to feeling better.'

I hope Stinky is feeling better soon!!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I appreciate you all getting back to me so quickly, thank you! He does stop as soon as he calms down, but I think he is ok now, he just played fetch with my husband for a good 15 minutes and in about the first minute he coughed up a tiny bit of phlegm and then he was fine and hasn't done it since. The temps dropped her pretty drastically last night so maybe it was because he was outside in the cold running around a bit and then came back in to the warm house. I will keep an eye on him over the next few days but I am hoping he was just trying to cough up what was stuck in his throat.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope Stinky is feeling better soon!!

Glad to hear he is doing better.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Winston will do that too if he's running around, playing like a maniac. If he keeps it up, I would call the vet… sometimes it can be serious!!! Hope your Winston feels better soon ;)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hope he is feeling better today!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We ended up at the vet this morning :(. He woke up at 3 am and started coughing...it just worried me so I called the vet as soon as they opened..they took him in at 8:45..he has kennel cough :( hes vaccinated against it but I guess its only against the main strain so he must have picked something up at daycare. He is on an anti biotic for 10 days and an anti inflammatory for 3 days. After a week he will not be contagious anymore. Hopefully he is on the mend soon!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We ended up at the vet this morning :(. He woke up at 3 am and started coughing...it just worried me so I called the vet as soon as they opened..they took him in at 8:45..he has kennel cough :( hes vaccinated against it but I guess its only against the main strain so he must have picked something up at daycare. He is on an anti biotic for 10 days and an anti inflammatory for 3 days. After a week he will not be contagious anymore. Hopefully he is on the mend soon!

Awe geeez, poor Winston. I hope the meds kick in quick and he gets better really soon. You did the right thing taking him in like you did.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Awe geeez, poor Winston. I hope the meds kick in quick and he gets better really soon. You did the right thing taking him in like you did.

Me too :(. I think I am more upset about it then he is. It really doesn't seem to phase him much. He is still playing and eating like normal just with a stop in between to cough lol. Yeah I didn't want to take a chance and I am glad I didn't. I figured even if it was nothing at least it would give me peace of mind but now I am really glad that I took him in.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm glad you found out what it is and now he can be on the road to recovery.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was just checking up on Winston... So sorry about the kennel cough, my Bella had it once. Took awhile to get rid of, poor baby... Hope he gets better soon, keep us posted!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.