General Question normal white cell count?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi everyone. I just got home from the vet with Buddy my 19 month old male ebd. He has been having a few stomach problems. Vomited a few times recently and doesn't want to eat his kibble.. Anyways. Before I go on I have to say from my former experience with vets that I think they can be thieves ( to put it bluntly).. Doing anything they can to fatten up my bill. Well they did an x ray of his stomach as well as a blood panel.. She said his White cell count was a bit elevated and on his x ray it looked somewhat abnormal but it could be gas in his lower intestins . I was checking regular white blood cell counts online on my phone as the vet was in with another patient and saw that it can be elevated with excitement ect.. Buddy's was 18.6 and I chose to bring him home and watch him closely to see if it is just a stomach bug or If something is really wrong. I do not want to be a bad bully parent but I am now thinking maybe I should have just left him there as they suggested for 2 days and put him on IV fluids. My vet is open every day until 11pm except Sundays and they close at 5pm that day so I can bring back if he vomits more or shows diminishing signs ect. Does anyone here think 18.6 on his white cell count is way too high or anything? I love my puppy as much ( if not more) than some of my own family members but I am really thinking I should have left him there. Last night, as the other vet suggested, I fed him white chicken mixed with white rice and the same this morning and he vomited 2 times this morning. He is somewhat playful and is pooping ( sometimes solid but sometimes diarrhea). Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you... Hero

flutrbyny

Sep 19, 2012
Laconia, New Hampshire, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassiopeia and Fernando
I have had two different experiences with wbc counts... My ebd, George (RIP), had an elevated count - about the same as Buddy, and it was caused by a bacterial infection that they treated. he wasn't eating right because he was miserable, but a few days on meds and he was better... Years later, he was tested and x-rayed because, again, he wasn't eating right, started to vomit and actually had a seizure, which was not something that ever happened. The x-ray showed a possible mass, but it turned out to be nothing, BUT further blood tests indicated large-cell lymphoma. We treated him with chemo and he went into remission for 10 months. It came back with a vengeance after 10 months and we lost him within 8 weeks... I trust my vet and if he says that my bullies need tests, I do them. They are big brutes of dogs, but so very fragile... Best of luck with Buddy and please keep me posted.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hoping it's just a bug and will clear out in a day or two. Did your vet give him anything for his tummy? If it doesn't clear up in a few days then he has something going on. Maybe eat something he should not have and there are some things that will not show up on x-ray.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Almost sounds like a possible obstruction. When Yuna had an obstruction she had a high wbc and the same symptoms.

Xrays do NOT show anything that is not dense. This went on for two weeks until I finally told them to cut her open and find the obstruction. (they still did not think it was). Well they found it.

547539_582987555044951_1051825018_n.jpg

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Wow. I sure hope Buddy hasn't swallowed something he wasn't supposed to. I almost brought him back but he ate his kibble and I took him outside and he was playing like nothing was wrong. ONE THING >I do not know if this is important but I am aware of the gas issues with bullies and Buddy has NEVER been a stinker so to speak.. I never even smell gas from him but in my truck today and even right now ( he is asleep on my bed) he is passing gas and it STINKS ! I feel quite sure he is ok for the night but will still closely monitor him and see if he isn't feeling better tomorrow. OMG the thought of cancer and loosing Buddy is scary.. I am an older guy, 55 years old ,I live alone and only had one other dog in my lifetime back about 20 years ago. He was a boxer and he ended up with cancer and didn't have much of a life.. If I lost Buddy I would surely be extremely upset.. I never knew how much I could love an animal until Buddy arrived in June of 2012. He is the most purest ( if that's word) and most innocent little guy who brings me a ton of happiness, Thanks everyone. Hero

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.