Coughing up phlegm?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Does anyone have any experience with this, with English Bulldogs?

Baxter has been coughing up large amounts of phlegm, almost every 30 seconds for the last several hours. He has had a kennel cough nearly 3 months ago, which never really seemed to go away. But it has been just a mild gurgling cough now and then. Today though, it's constant. And I probably could fill a large glass with the amount of phlegm that has come out of him.

I took him to a vet. Who was pretty much useless. He was jumping around licking and kissing everybody so she decreed him "fine". She listened to his lungs, but said they were "fine", then commented that with English Bulldogs "it's always noisy in there". :-/ she said he has no temperature. And x-rays only show a little inflammation in the lungs from coughing so much. Couple weeks ago when this kicked in, he had a normal white blood cell count. Which implies no infection either. So I don't know what's going on.

Despite all of that, She suggested I put him on doxycycline again. As his coughing finally went away on doxycycline a couple weeks ago. But now has come back with a vengeance and this phlegm... It's every 30 seconds, all over the floor.

For the first time, he's also physically looking absolutely miserable. He just looks at me like he's struggling. And he's very weak. I fear he's getting dehydrated from all the fluids coming up, but how do you get water into a dog that doesn't feel like drinking? Not sure if I should bring him to an emergency veterinarian, and just end up with another random guess like most vets seem to specialize in...

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I would take him to an emergency vet. That amount of coughing is not normal, and there are a host of things that it could be. Your comment on his looks is also concerning. You know your dog best. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Oh you poor thing and poor Baxter :-( SOrry I cannot help as have had no experience at all with this. But I sure someone more experienced will come along and help, I will read with interest.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Does anyone have any experience with this, with English Bulldogs?

Baxter has been coughing up large amounts of phlegm, almost every 30 seconds for the last several hours. He has had a kennel cough nearly 3 months ago, which never really seemed to go away. But it has been just a mild gurgling cough now and then. Today though, it's constant. And I probably could fill a large glass with the amount of phlegm that has come out of him.

I took him to a vet. Who was pretty much useless. He was jumping around licking and kissing everybody so she decreed him "fine". She listened to his lungs, but said they were "fine", then commented that with English Bulldogs "it's always noisy in there". :-/ she said he has no temperature. And x-rays only show a little inflammation in the lungs from coughing so much. Couple weeks ago when this kicked in, he had a normal white blood cell count. Which implies no infection either. So I don't know what's going on.

Despite all of that, She suggested I put him on doxycycline again. As his coughing finally went away on doxycycline a couple weeks ago. But now has come back with a vengeance and this phlegm... It's every 30 seconds, all over the floor.

For the first time, he's also physically looking absolutely miserable. He just looks at me like he's struggling. And he's very weak. I fear he's getting dehydrated from all the fluids coming up, but how do you get water into a dog that doesn't feel like drinking? Not sure if I should bring him to an emergency veterinarian, and just end up with another random guess like most vets seem to specialize in...
I would definitely get him to an emergency vet especially since your vet thinks he is fine and you know Baxter best if you think something is wrong it probably is don't second guess yourself if he is getting weak then you are probably right about the dehydration and that could be fatal in itself. So please get him to an ER Vet right away! Keep us updated!!! Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I don't want to alarm you but I agree with jennifer. Please please take him to the emergency vet. It sounds like he really needs it. Maybe a steriod to help with the inflammation in his lungs to open things up in there. Please let us know what happened.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he is coughing up that much and getting weak, I would get him to a vet ASAP. If he is dehydrated, they can get fluids in him, and hopefully give him something to help with the cough.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You know your dog, the vet doesn't and sounds like she missed the boat
entirely. I'm concerned that you say he's never really gotten over kennel
cough so he has probably slowly weaken and it's finally started showing
physically. Like the others, I'm suggesting vet visit, maybe the vet that
'gets it' when you describe his slow decline and gets Baxter on the mend.
Good luck & let us know, praying for him right now!

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Any updates on Baxter??? Has anyone heard anything yet?

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW I'm just now reading this… I agree w/everyone above, get him to the VETS!!! It could be pneumonia at this point… sending prayers & hugs!!!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

IMAGE_26.jpg

I wish it was pneumonia then we could treat. But she says his white blood cells are normal, and he has no fever. And she can't seem to differentiate between a loud set of lungs, and saying every bulldog as loud lungs. Hopefully I will see a different doctor this morning. He does not feel well at all.

IMAGE_28.jpg

Last edited:

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Poor Baxter.....I hope you can get him to a vet that can help him feel better soon :hug:

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Baxter you can tell on his little smooshie face he doesn't feel well,poor baby it makes me want to crawl into that bed with him and snuggle him all better. Maybe take a sample of the phlegm to the vet so they can test it for bacteria or a virus.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I hope little Baxter feels better soon. The look on his little face! I want to hug him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Baxter...I will be praying that your boy will be okay very quickly. It sounds a little odd to me that your vet can't tell if his lungs sound okay/not okay? Yes, I would surely get him to another vet pretty quickly. You know your boy-and if he is not right, don't waste time with it. Please keep everyone posted, prayers for you and Baxter:pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.