Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coughing up phlegm?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Coughing up phlegm?

Duplicate.
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 11-12-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Baxter Tiberius

Default Coughing up phlegm?

Does anyone have any experience with this, with English Bulldogs?

Baxter has been coughing up large amounts of phlegm, almost every 30 seconds for the last several hours. He has had a kennel cough nearly 3 months ago, which never really seemed to go away. But it has been just a mild gurgling cough now and then. Today though, it's constant. And I probably could fill a large glass with the amount of phlegm that has come out of him.

I took him to a vet. Who was pretty much useless. He was jumping around licking and kissing everybody so she decreed him "fine". She listened to his lungs, but said they were "fine", then commented that with English Bulldogs "it's always noisy in there". :-/ she said he has no temperature. And x-rays only show a little inflammation in the lungs from coughing so much. Couple weeks ago when this kicked in, he had a normal white blood cell count. Which implies no infection either. So I don't know what's going on.

Despite all of that, She suggested I put him on doxycycline again. As his coughing finally went away on doxycycline a couple weeks ago. But now has come back with a vengeance and this phlegm... It's every 30 seconds, all over the floor.

For the first time, he's also physically looking absolutely miserable. He just looks at me like he's struggling. And he's very weak. I fear he's getting dehydrated from all the fluids coming up, but how do you get water into a dog that doesn't feel like drinking? Not sure if I should bring him to an emergency veterinarian, and just end up with another random guess like most vets seem to specialize in...

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coughing up phlegm?

I would take him to an emergency vet. That amount of coughing is not normal, and there are a host of things that it could be. Your comment on his looks is also concerning. You know your dog best. Good luck and keep us posted!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Oh you poor thing and poor Baxter :-( SOrry I cannot help as have had no experience at all with this. But I sure someone more experienced will come along and help, I will read with interest.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this, with English Bulldogs?

Baxter has been coughing up large amounts of phlegm, almost every 30 seconds for the last several hours. He has had a kennel cough nearly 3 months ago, which never really seemed to go away. But it has been just a mild gurgling cough now and then. Today though, it's constant. And I probably could fill a large glass with the amount of phlegm that has come out of him.

I took him to a vet. Who was pretty much useless. He was jumping around licking and kissing everybody so she decreed him "fine". She listened to his lungs, but said they were "fine", then commented that with English Bulldogs "it's always noisy in there". :-/ she said he has no temperature. And x-rays only show a little inflammation in the lungs from coughing so much. Couple weeks ago when this kicked in, he had a normal white blood cell count. Which implies no infection either. So I don't know what's going on.

Despite all of that, She suggested I put him on doxycycline again. As his coughing finally went away on doxycycline a couple weeks ago. But now has come back with a vengeance and this phlegm... It's every 30 seconds, all over the floor.

For the first time, he's also physically looking absolutely miserable. He just looks at me like he's struggling. And he's very weak. I fear he's getting dehydrated from all the fluids coming up, but how do you get water into a dog that doesn't feel like drinking? Not sure if I should bring him to an emergency veterinarian, and just end up with another random guess like most vets seem to specialize in...
    I would definitely get him to an emergency vet especially since your vet thinks he is fine and you know Baxter best if you think something is wrong it probably is don't second guess yourself if he is getting weak then you are probably right about the dehydration and that could be fatal in itself. So please get him to an ER Vet right away! Keep us updated!!! Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I don't want to alarm you but I agree with jennifer. Please please take him to the emergency vet. It sounds like he really needs it. Maybe a steriod to help with the inflammation in his lungs to open things up in there. Please let us know what happened.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

If he is coughing up that much and getting weak, I would get him to a vet ASAP. If he is dehydrated, they can get fluids in him, and hopefully give him something to help with the cough.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

You know your dog, the vet doesn't and sounds like she missed the boat
    entirely. I'm concerned that you say he's never really gotten over kennel
    cough so he has probably slowly weaken and it's finally started showing
    physically. Like the others, I'm suggesting vet visit, maybe the vet that
    'gets it' when you describe his slow decline and gets Baxter on the mend.
    Good luck & let us know, praying for him right now!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Any updates on Baxter??? Has anyone heard anything yet?

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

WOW I'm just now reading this… I agree w/everyone above, get him to the VETS!!! It could be pneumonia at this point… sending prayers & hugs!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Baxter Tiberius

I wish it was pneumonia then we could treat. But she says his white blood cells are normal, and he has no fever. And she can't seem to differentiate between a loud set of lungs, and saying every bulldog as loud lungs. Hopefully I will see a different doctor this morning. He does not feel well at all.

Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 11-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Real Name
    Cyndi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

Poor Baxter.....I hope you can get him to a vet that can help him feel better soon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads