Coughing up phlegm?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thank you everyone. Baxter's suddenly stopped coughing. I don't know how well you guys know antibiotics, but they typically kick in right at the 24 hour mark. And that's right where we are. Everything is completely calmed down now. He's asleep and sleeping peacefully.

Regarding the stomach thing, I think that's what the vet was thinking as well. My only caveat to that theory is that he would continually cough up puddles of clear liquid phlegm even immediately after filling his stomach full of food. No food would come up. It was always clear liquid. The only scenario by which I could see him coughing up this liquid from his stomach, is if his stomach was empty.

I actually said that to the vet, and she said the phlegm could be produced from all the various areas in his respiratory system. His lungs, his trachea, his nose. He has snot just dripping out of his nose like crazy. When I wipe it, an entire extra glob comes out, and it just keeps stringing out more. So I think he's just got inflammation going on all over his respiratory system. The fact that the phlegm is clear, indicates it's not infectious but inflammation.

For now the alarm is over thank goodness.

Now the big decision tomorrow. Prednisone or more antibiotics. Or both like the doc suggested.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Thank you so much for the update I was going to ask if there was an update then read this! So glad he has some relief Bless his wittle heart! give him cuddles from Me and Sheldon

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kevin, please accept my apologies if I've offended you in any way.

I've not meant to add to this your stress, if so, I'm sincerely sorry.

Continued prayers that all goes well and Baxter heals completely.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Seeing that video made my heart sink, poor baby he clearly is miserable. I'm glad you are finally seeing some results and have put your foot down with the vet. Give him a hug from all if us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I hope you have found the answer, and Baxter is on the road to feeling great!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] - no way ! you didnt offend me. I didn't even realize you had said something that might be offensive lol ...

Doctor prefers prednisone pills. I read that inhaled steroids are much more effective. But vet isn't being too helpful with that. She clearly feels the pills are "easier and cheaper". I guess "less systemic side effects, and more effective than pills" aren't as important to her, as they are to me. Doctors seem to always have a 1 track mind with things lol ...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Texas Carol - no way ! you didnt offend me. I didn't even realize you had said something that might be offensive lol ...

Doctor prefers prednisone pills. I read that inhaled steroids are much more effective. But vet isn't being too helpful with that. She clearly feels the pills are "easier and cheaper". I guess "less systemic side effects, and more effective than pills" aren't as important to her, as they are to me. Doctors seem to always have a 1 track mind with things lol ...

Thank you, Kevin, I am relieved! Checking in on update and rereading my
posts, they sounded pushy & know-it-all...hate those types, lol

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, Kevin, I am relieved! Checking in on update and rereading my
posts, they sounded pushy & know-it-all...hate those types, lol

Carol the support you provide to all of us is invaluable!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] - no way ! you didnt offend me. I didn't even realize you had said something that might be offensive lol ...

If your having problems with this vet listening to you if it were me I'd be looking for a new vet

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I hate vets like that! I hope Baxter us feeling better now. Any news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.