Coughing up phlegm?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Here's the thing, While this vet is waiting around trying to decide what to do, Poor Baxter is suffering and Kevin is at a loss to help him. How long did she say until the culture is back? It's the in the meantime that is getting to me. I'm getting really angry and it isn't even my dog!!!
Cultures have to grow 24-48 hours before they can be read.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thats kind of how I feel.

Im not angry with the vet. I've asked 4 vets over the last 3 months about his continued coughing. If any of them were worth their degrees, someone should've suggested Chronic Bronchitis and the introduction of an inhaled coritcosteroid to calm the coughing. They *all* just shrugged off the topic.

So I called the vet back and asked for a prescription for an inhaled cortico. She said we have to wait until the radiologist responds, which will be tonight or tomorrow. And she wants to wait for the culture to come back first as well.

Baxter has been sleeping all day. The Doxycycline i think is kicking in again, so things are calming down a bit. He definitely gets worse when he gets excited, or stressed by something (loud noise, etc) which is also listed as one of the 5 traits of chronic bronchitis. Because its just inflammation after all. When he sleeps, he doesn't have any symptoms at all.

There's just so much phlegm ...

I should correct what i said above ... inhaled corticosteroids don't turn off the immune system. They mostly affect the lungs, which is where he needs it. I believe pills have a stronger systemic effect.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Here is a vid from last night. This is one of the more "dry" coughs (usually gurgling wet), with a much smaller puddle at the end (has gotten as wide as a softball).

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kevin, I feel bad for you & Baxter as does everyone :(

I can suggest some herbal remedies that will help and I would be
looking at holistic means of controlling his cough, lessening phlegm
production and controlling the bronchitis over all. As you know, neither
steroids or antibiotics are long term options. Can you find a holistic vet
in your area?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Steroids do help in certain circumstances where inflammation has run a muck.

I had a severe pneumonia once and terrible cough. The pneumonia went away, but I continued coughing for weeks and weeks afterwards. I couldn't stop. Nothing worked.

Three other doctors theorized I might have lung cancer, or needed antibiotics because the Pneumonia never went away.

Finally a doctor with a brain :) gave me Advair (steroid inhaler), and literally within 1 inhale, my coughing stopped. And it never came back.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Here is a vid from last night. This is one of the more "dry" coughs (usually gurgling wet), with a much smaller puddle at the end (has gotten as wide as a softball).

Well it's official, you are a calmer person the me because I would be a basket case. I really hope he feels better soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, I think i would get a second opinion. I wish you had a good bully vet in your area to take him too. I wish you lived close to us, we have an excellent bully vet here in Houston.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Just received the call from the vet:

1) Radiologists say inflammation, possibly infectious in nature, but definitely Bronchitis
2) Radiologists are okay with an inhaled corticosteroid as it is less "systemic" and will directly help calm the lungs
3) Radiologists recommend continuing with Doxycycline in case it is infectious
4) Vet said that the swab will not change her course of treatment because she already thinks this is an infection, so she does not see the purpose in sending it in.
She recommends trying this new course of action for a week and see if he relapses after.
If so, then we can do the swab and maybe try to nail down exactly what it is.
She suggested a "tracheal wash", as did the Radiologists, if he relapses.

I asked her where the fluid was coming from, and she seems convinced he is regurgitating from the stomach.
This is despite me telling her that its 100% clear fluid even immediately after meals.
I think the fluid is coming from his lungs.

Radiologists said his lungs look okay, so that is really good news. I was worried he was developing scar tissue.

Kevin

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Steroids do help in certain circumstances where inflammation has run a muck.

I had a severe pneumonia once and terrible cough. The pneumonia went away, but I continued coughing for weeks and weeks afterwards. I couldn't stop. Nothing worked.

Three other doctors theorized I might have lung cancer, or needed antibiotics because the Pneumonia never went away.

Finally a doctor with a brain :) gave me Advair (steroid inhaler), and literally within 1 inhale, my coughing stopped. And it never came back.

I agree, Kevin...I had to give Aaron a steroid inhaler as a small child and I've had
pneumonia, septis, pelvic inflammatory disease (and a 2nd bout) and major teeth
infections...all needed heavy duty antibiotics, thank god for them.

They aren't for long term use, most unfortunately. If he has chronic bronchitis, you
will need other options to control it. Baxter & you are in my prayers, GOD bless!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Ok, just some " human " intervention here. When I first read the part where they thought the mucus was coming from the stomach, my first reaction was " WTF" two different systems.... But THEN, the AHA moment.... My daughter, who is now 33 years old, had chronic respiratory problems as a toddler. She lived on antibiotics and steroids. That said, when she was heading into another infection, she would start coughing, and then vomit.... All mucus. I was convinced she was coughing a lung out! My very astute, and patient, pediatrician explained that when you cough, your diaphragm presses on your STOMACH, which makes some people vomit. So maybe Baxter has chronic bronchitis, which the steroid will help, but the vomiting is just the mucus he is swallowing and then coughing up. I hope it is that simple. You have been a good bully parent with our persistence. Please keep us posted! We love both of you!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor little Baxter. And poor Daddy. I am praying that things will go well, and your little fella' will feel much better soon.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Ok, just some " human " intervention here. When I first read the part where they thought the mucus was coming from the stomach, my first reaction was " WTF" two different systems.... But THEN, the AHA moment.... My daughter, who is now 33 years old, had chronic respiratory problems as a toddler. She lived on antibiotics and steroids. That said, when she was heading into another infection, she would start coughing, and then vomit.... All mucus. I was convinced she was coughing a lung out! My very astute, and patient, pediatrician explained that when you cough, your diaphragm presses on your STOMACH, which makes some people vomit. So maybe Baxter has chronic bronchitis, which the steroid will help, but the vomiting is just the mucus he is swallowing and then coughing up. I hope it is that simple. You have been a good bully parent with our persistence. Please keep us posted! We love both of you!!

I think Mary might be on to something here. Gosh Kevin, you hang in there. Poor Baxter...and he's so stinkin' cute and looks so sad...I'd be a raving lunatic. Dudley and I are sending hugs and prayers that things calm down and Baxter gets relief soon. Good thoughts coming your way!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe please Give little Baxter some hugs and loves from us! Hope he starts feeling better. I still think they should look at the sample instead of guessing they would know for sure sending love and prayers and positive thoughts. Sheldon says give Baxter a big bully hug for him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think Mary might be on to something here. Gosh Kevin, you hang in there. Poor Baxter...and he's so stinkin' cute and looks so sad...I'd be a raving lunatic. Dudley and I are sending hugs and prayers that things calm down and Baxter gets relief soon. Good thoughts coming your way!

I agree too!!! It makes more sense than anything else… Poor baby, he looks miserable!!! Sending prayers & hugs to you guys… I hope you can get this figured out soon!!! :hug:

Most Reactions