Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coughing up phlegm?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Here is a vid from last night. This is one of the more "dry" coughs (usually gurgling wet), with a much smaller puddle at the end (has gotten as wide as a softball).

Well it's official, you are a calmer person the me because I would be a basket case. I really hope he feels better soon.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Poor boy, I think i would get a second opinion. I wish you had a good bully vet in your area to take him too. I wish you lived close to us, we have an excellent bully vet here in Houston.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Baxter Tiberius

Just received the call from the vet:

1) Radiologists say inflammation, possibly infectious in nature, but definitely Bronchitis
    2) Radiologists are okay with an inhaled corticosteroid as it is less "systemic" and will directly help calm the lungs
    3) Radiologists recommend continuing with Doxycycline in case it is infectious
    4) Vet said that the swab will not change her course of treatment because she already thinks this is an infection, so she does not see the purpose in sending it in.
    She recommends trying this new course of action for a week and see if he relapses after.
    If so, then we can do the swab and maybe try to nail down exactly what it is.
    She suggested a "tracheal wash", as did the Radiologists, if he relapses.

I asked her where the fluid was coming from, and she seems convinced he is regurgitating from the stomach.
    This is despite me telling her that its 100% clear fluid even immediately after meals.
    I think the fluid is coming from his lungs.

Radiologists said his lungs look okay, so that is really good news. I was worried he was developing scar tissue.

Kevin

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Steroids do help in certain circumstances where inflammation has run a muck.

I had a severe pneumonia once and terrible cough. The pneumonia went away, but I continued coughing for weeks and weeks afterwards. I couldn't stop. Nothing worked.

Three other doctors theorized I might have lung cancer, or needed antibiotics because the Pneumonia never went away.

Finally a doctor with a brain gave me Advair (steroid inhaler), and literally within 1 inhale, my coughing stopped. And it never came back.

I agree, Kevin...I had to give Aaron a steroid inhaler as a small child and I've had
    pneumonia, septis, pelvic inflammatory disease (and a 2nd bout) and major teeth
    infections...all needed heavy duty antibiotics, thank god for them.

They aren't for long term use, most unfortunately. If he has chronic bronchitis, you
    will need other options to control it. Baxter & you are in my prayers, GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Ok, just some " human " intervention here. When I first read the part where they thought the mucus was coming from the stomach, my first reaction was " WTF" two different systems.... But THEN, the AHA moment.... My daughter, who is now 33 years old, had chronic respiratory problems as a toddler. She lived on antibiotics and steroids. That said, when she was heading into another infection, she would start coughing, and then vomit.... All mucus. I was convinced she was coughing a lung out! My very astute, and patient, pediatrician explained that when you cough, your diaphragm presses on your STOMACH, which makes some people vomit. So maybe Baxter has chronic bronchitis, which the steroid will help, but the vomiting is just the mucus he is swallowing and then coughing up. I hope it is that simple. You have been a good bully parent with our persistence. Please keep us posted! We love both of you!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Poor little Baxter. And poor Daddy. I am praying that things will go well, and your little fella' will feel much better soon.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    Ok, just some " human " intervention here. When I first read the part where they thought the mucus was coming from the stomach, my first reaction was " WTF" two different systems.... But THEN, the AHA moment.... My daughter, who is now 33 years old, had chronic respiratory problems as a toddler. She lived on antibiotics and steroids. That said, when she was heading into another infection, she would start coughing, and then vomit.... All mucus. I was convinced she was coughing a lung out! My very astute, and patient, pediatrician explained that when you cough, your diaphragm presses on your STOMACH, which makes some people vomit. So maybe Baxter has chronic bronchitis, which the steroid will help, but the vomiting is just the mucus he is swallowing and then coughing up. I hope it is that simple. You have been a good bully parent with our persistence. Please keep us posted! We love both of you!!
    I think Mary might be on to something here. Gosh Kevin, you hang in there. Poor Baxter...and he's so stinkin' cute and looks so sad...I'd be a raving lunatic. Dudley and I are sending hugs and prayers that things calm down and Baxter gets relief soon. Good thoughts coming your way!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awe please Give little Baxter some hugs and loves from us! Hope he starts feeling better. I still think they should look at the sample instead of guessing they would know for sure sending love and prayers and positive thoughts. Sheldon says give Baxter a big bully hug for him.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DudleysMom View Post
    I think Mary might be on to something here. Gosh Kevin, you hang in there. Poor Baxter...and he's so stinkin' cute and looks so sad...I'd be a raving lunatic. Dudley and I are sending hugs and prayers that things calm down and Baxter gets relief soon. Good thoughts coming your way!
    I agree too!!! It makes more sense than anything else… Poor baby, he looks miserable!!! Sending prayers & hugs to you guys… I hope you can get this figured out soon!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Baxter Tiberius

Thank you everyone. Baxter's suddenly stopped coughing. I don't know how well you guys know antibiotics, but they typically kick in right at the 24 hour mark. And that's right where we are. Everything is completely calmed down now. He's asleep and sleeping peacefully.

Regarding the stomach thing, I think that's what the vet was thinking as well. My only caveat to that theory is that he would continually cough up puddles of clear liquid phlegm even immediately after filling his stomach full of food. No food would come up. It was always clear liquid. The only scenario by which I could see him coughing up this liquid from his stomach, is if his stomach was empty.

I actually said that to the vet, and she said the phlegm could be produced from all the various areas in his respiratory system. His lungs, his trachea, his nose. He has snot just dripping out of his nose like crazy. When I wipe it, an entire extra glob comes out, and it just keeps stringing out more. So I think he's just got inflammation going on all over his respiratory system. The fact that the phlegm is clear, indicates it's not infectious but inflammation.

For now the alarm is over thank goodness.

Now the big decision tomorrow. Prednisone or more antibiotics. Or both like the doc suggested.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for the update I was going to ask if there was an update then read this! So glad he has some relief Bless his wittle heart! give him cuddles from Me and Sheldon

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Kevin, please accept my apologies if I've offended you in any way.

I've not meant to add to this your stress, if so, I'm sincerely sorry.

Continued prayers that all goes well and Baxter heals completely.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads